Need data on Clausing lathe model 111 (MK3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danl
    • Nov 2011

Need data on Clausing lathe model 111 (MK3)

I bought this Clausing lathe earlier this week, knowing I was going to need to replace 5 of the feed gears and the quadrant. It is in really nice shape otherwise, except for that rear headstock clamp being broken. The guy that helped me load it told me that he had thrown a 'box full of old gears and other junk' in the garbage several years ago. Sheesh....

The nodular gear blanks are on order, but I can't find much on what the feed gear quadrant (Clausing Part # DL 340) looks like. I'd appreciate it if someone on here who has one of these could give me the minimum dimensions I need to make one from scratch.

Thanks,

Dan L
    Salem, Oregon
  • partsproduction
    • Feb 2013

Does anyone know of a source for parts for one of these? There must be 50,000 automobile wrecking yards in the USA, you would think there would be at least one place buying old machines for scrap price and dismantling them for parts. It seems like it would be a terrible waste to scrap a machine like these when one could make many times as much parting them out.

Comment

• daveo
      • Mar 2005

I bet I got a extra one, its been welded but usable.... Let me see if I can dig up a pic...
      Feel free to put me on ignore....

Comment

• daveo
        • Mar 2005

First pic is my good one, second pic is the extra... Its off of a 5400 but looks the same.

Im leaving for a few hours but I will check back later.

Comment

• Danl
          • Nov 2011

Dave,

It does look the same. I bet that took a lot of force to break. I wish I could confirm that quadrant is the same dimensions as the model 100 mk3. Mike, do you know?

It would be nice to also find all the gears from the stud gear down to, but not including the input shaft to the QC gearbox, as well as the gear train cover. I put this in the wanted classified section also.

Thanks,

Dan
          Salem, Oregon

Comment

• Danl
            • Nov 2011

Dave, it is the same part # on the casting, so it may be reasonable to assume it is the same quadrant as in the older models. Would you be willing to part with it?

PM me?

thanks,

Dan
            Salem, Oregon

Comment

• daveo
              • Mar 2005

Here is a link to the drawing of it from the 5400 book, it gives you the gear tooth count too. Its a large pic...

Comment

• GHalkens
                • Dec 2004

Danl,

I have most of the parts that you need for your lathe. The part numbers are from a Clausing 5418 owners manual.

Q 528 60-T gear
                Q 531 stud
                Q 533 disc
                Q 535 quadrant
                Q 540 S 30-72-T gear assembly
                90-063 sliding gear handle

I also remember having a Q530 75-T gear but can't find it. I will look for it tomorrow Some of the gears may have a chipped or missing tooth

--Gary

Comment

• Danl
                  • Nov 2011

Gary, would you be willing to sell those items?

Thanks,

Dan
                  Salem, Oregon

Comment

• Danl
                    • Nov 2011

Thanks folks for your responses. Dennis Turk found me a nearly complete parts lathe over near his home, for $90. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Dan L
                    Salem, Oregon

Comment

• thaiguzzi
                      • Apr 2012

This thread is why i appreciate a good forum like this one.

Comment

• Danl
                        • Nov 2011

UGH ! I went over to McMinnville, followed Dennis over to where the lathe is, and the lady advised us she had sold it to someone else! How frustrating. I guess it just was not meant to be. I really enjoyed chatting with Dennis, and we took a quick trip into Hillsboro to his business (Turk Manufacturing, Inc.), where I got a tour of the shop and his museum of old and rare machines. My first glimpse of a 9 axis CNC. They make a lot of parts out of titanium and some exotic aluminum alloy parts for Leupold & Stevens. Fascinating tour.

So, anyway, I guess I'm still in the market for the gear train and quadrant for my Clausing 111 mk3.

Dan
                        Salem, Oregon

Comment

• GHalkens
                          • Dec 2004

Danl,
                          Sorry to hear that the parts lathe got away from you. I am willing to let you have all of the parts listed in my previous post. Contact me at [email protected]

Gary

Comment

Working...
                          X