PDA

View Full Version : Clumsy B***tard Award Entry

Weston Bye
09-07-2015, 12:06 PM
I suppose I am still capable of 'Manning Up", though I am not too happy about this...

Edge-milling some steel material. (photo 1 is a posed re-enactment of the crime.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Weston/DSCN5276_zpsrbmefadx.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Weston/media/DSCN5276_zpsrbmefadx.jpg.html)

The operation was throwing chips on me, so I shielded myself with a piece of cardboard, obscuring my view of the lower portion of the operation.

Weston Bye
09-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Something started to feel different, but not enough different to keep me from blithely turning the crank...
Imagine my horror/dismay/self-loathing/disgust/anger/shame/wimpering when I moved the cardboard shield to see this...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Weston/DSCN5277_zpslladbn5e.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Weston/media/DSCN5277_zpslladbn5e.jpg.html)

awemawson
09-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Bad luck old chap - horrid sinking feeling isn't it !

I well remember with my first machine tool (Taiwanese Mill/Drill) back in the 1980's learning exactly WHY you don't run morse taper end mills without a draw bar :) I hid the damage with a big vice !

Weston Bye
09-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Appears that the endmill walked out of the collet while I was side milling with it.

The poor old Bridgeport will now always carry this scar, reminding me of my perfidy...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Weston/DSCN5280_zps7yazqqwe.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Weston/media/DSCN5280_zps7yazqqwe.jpg.html)

flylo
09-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Don't feel bad, the 1st thing I did on my new to me 12" Craftsman comercial threw the pc out of the chuck because the nut that operates the forward/reverse switch didn't look & it's backward to anything else I've owned & was running in reverse.

Left Handed Spud Wrench
09-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Milled a nice groove in my vice and melted my plated-color Harbor Freight endmill on my CNC rig. Granted the vice is cast from Asian "metal" (98% 'Other' by volume, guaranteed by analysis)... and the end-mill was about as crisp as a sun-dried mozzarella stick but it still sucks.

I've also driven 3D-printer hot-ends into the edge of the heated bed during calibration, swan-dived hot-ends into the glass plate and proceeded to etch the glass, and so forth.

Please send my Clumsy Bastard Award to:

Helen Keller Institute For Excellence In Visual Product Inspection
Attention: Black Hat Engineering Division
PO BOX Nebraska 68502.

mklotz
09-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Make a closely fitting brass insert and have these words laser-etched into the exposed surface:

Danger - High Voltage
Do not Remove

Glue in place and get on with life.

Tony Ennis
09-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Weston, are you going to fix that?

Highpower
09-07-2015, 12:38 PM
.....was running in reverse.

Glad I've never done anything like that! No Sireeee.... not me. :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Highpwr/Temp/Half-inch_end_mill.jpg

John Stevenson
09-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Clumsy bastard

J Tiers
09-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Appears that the endmill walked out of the collet wile I was side milling with it.

That's completely impossible. never happens, can't happen, hasn't happened to ol' Bubba in 50 years of machining........

Many here have told us so. And insisted on it.

Obviously not the reason, then, eh? :p (imagine good emoticon of tongue sticking out here)

Of course I have NEVER done anything like that.....

Weston Bye
09-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Weston, are you going to fix that?

Ummmmm.....

Make a closely fitting brass insert and have these words laser-etched into the exposed surface:

Danger - High Voltage
Do not Remove

Glue in place and get on with life.

Ummm... yeah, that's it. YES!

Left Handed Spud Wrench
09-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Engrave it with "Nothing to see here, move along now."

John Stevenson
09-07-2015, 12:53 PM
To be really, really mean, engrave "Lift to oil "

TN Pat
09-07-2015, 01:06 PM
The programmer at the shop I work at was trying to strut his stuff one day, always bragging about doing super aggressive machining at a previous employer. So, he come up with a different way to run this certain production part, and it involved burying an end mill pretty good and chopping off a pretty big phone-shaped slug.

First one, all we hear is WHEEEEE-EE-EE-POP! Gone. I believe that one end mill, 3/4" carbide four-fluter from OSG, somewhere around $300? It now rests in three pieces, in a neatly made cardboard coffin made by one of the operators in his spare time... on the programmer's desk.

Weston, if it was something other than a Bridgeport, though, you'd have been okay. The natural suckiness of a B-port is what made the table turn to chips, that's it... ;) Haha. Joking!

Weston Bye
09-07-2015, 01:06 PM

Sprayed drink on keyboard.;)

Weston Bye
09-07-2015, 01:11 PM
?... The natural suckiness of a B-port is what made the table turn to chips, that's it... ;) Haha. Joking!

Agreed. The only difference I could discern was the feeling that I had dropped a slice of Velveeta from my sandwich on top of the part.

Guido
09-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Kinda reminds me of the feller with bad headaches, spending time and money with a doctor, trying different meds and cures. Guy finally felt better and was going to live after all, so celebrated by buying a new suit of clothes. Clerk at the clothing store mentioned in passing: 'You need to buy new shorts too, cause those you're wearing are way, way too tight------they'll cause bad headaches.

macona
09-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Appears that the endmill walked out of the collet wile I was side milling with it.

The poor old Bridgeport will now always carry this scar, reminding me of my perfidy...

Yep, R8 sucks for retention.

Mcgyver
09-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Agreed. The only difference I could discern was the feeling that I had dropped a slice of Velveeta from my sandwich

slice of velveeta? that's as disturbing as the table pic :)

Rosco-P
09-07-2015, 02:20 PM
That's completely impossible. never happens, can't happen, hasn't happened to ol' Bubba in 50 years of machining........

Many here have told us so. And insisted on it.

Obviously not the reason, then, eh? :p (imagine good emoticon of tongue sticking out here)

Of course I have NEVER done anything like that.....

Guys that worked in the machine shop owned by my parents neighbor were allowed to make that sort of mistake (drilling into the table, cutting into a vice, scarring up a machine table) once. They never repeated it because they were instantly fired.

Doozer
09-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Three words...
End
Mill
Holder.

-Doozer

justanengineer
09-07-2015, 02:29 PM
While Ive never nicked a table I cannot give you too much grief, more than one cutter and part has suffered my silly mistakes, especially regarding spindle direction. I swear some machines and VFDs have it in for me, switching M03s with M04s and FXX with whatever the reverse function is.

Rosco-P
09-07-2015, 02:37 PM
While Ive never nicked a table I cannot give you too much grief, more than one cutter and part has suffered my silly mistakes, especially regarding spindle direction. I swear some machines and VFDs have it in for me, switching M03s with M04s and FXX with whatever the reverse function is.

That would be why you "cut" air or single step a new program wouldn't it?

Left Handed Spud Wrench
09-07-2015, 04:28 PM
That would be why you "cut" air or single step a new program wouldn't it?

Also when you are new to CNC ask someone to review your code so you don't rapid the lathe carriage into the chuck.

I didn't do that -- watched someone else do that. It was not a good day. No one got fired over it even though a rather expensive and sophisticated turning center got demolished. Owner made everyone sit through two classes and told the new-guy he was now the shop crash-prevention guru -- make sure id doesn't happen ever again.

This was over 10 years ago new-guy is still there and from what I've heard he's turned out to be one of their better programmers.

CalM
09-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Just one word

"Weldon"

awemawson
09-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Mill the damage out to a neat shape, put in the brass insert previously mentioned, and engrave it thus :

"This machine was presented to Weston Bye in honour of his outstanding Engineering Achievements'

No one will ever question it (will we chaps :) )

Left Handed Spud Wrench
09-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Clearly it should read "Clumsy Bastard". I mean the rest of them are cute and all (especially the "remove to oil" one) but really now.

Rosco-P
09-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Clearly it should read "Clumsy Bastard". I mean the rest of them are cute and all (especially the "remove to oil" one) but really now.

Guess the next project using the mill will be to make a chip shield.

Weston Bye
09-07-2015, 04:51 PM
I am thinking...

DON'T LOOK AT THIS

_Paul_
09-07-2015, 06:59 PM
I am thinking...

DON'T LOOK AT THIS

Rofl :)

John Stevenson
09-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Weston,
My old bridgeport had a few dings like this in the table, [ no bragging but never managed to add to them ] , couple had been machined out and a plate with radiused ends fitted and countersunk screws.

I thought these were unsightly and every one would think I'd done them :confused:

So one day tried with the smallest one and removed the plate, packed it up with 5 thou shim and then made some new screws, countersunk but with a head still on the piece of bar and parted thu part way. A bit like steering lock bolts. Tightened these up until they snapped off in the plate and then lightly peened the bolts and edges to fill the gaps in.
Then stoned the plate flat. It looked good and did the other two at a later time.
Took a real hard look to see the damage

frankie
09-07-2015, 09:37 PM
I did that at the last place I worked to CNC mill table, so I got right busy and milled out a rectangle made a patch to fit it and cleaned it all up with file and it was undetectable, so I did not have to "fess" up about it. The issue was the same end mill pulled out of the collet.

frankie

john hobdeclipe
09-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Ouch! That hurts!!

Dam shame you can't just flip the table over and start all over again.

mike4
09-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Your all wrong , he was just checking that the table was actually cast iron and not licorice.
Michael

JoeLee
09-07-2015, 11:48 PM
And I get upset over my little microscopic nicks from my accidents.

When ever I side mill I block the piece up off the table with my 1" ground bars. Or I'll do it vertically.

A dull end mill will tend to pull and being seated in a cheap import collet is asking for trouble. A four flute would have less tendency to pull out.

JL..............

boslab
09-08-2015, 12:29 AM
Good enough reason to get an auto lock chuck like clarkson, mills don't pull out like collet chucks, snap yes!
Mark

jhe.1973
09-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Hi Weston,

I feel for you having done things like this on my dad's equipment back in the day. Same thing, end mill pulling out but w/a morse taper collet.

OK Sir John, you reminded me of a true story that an inspector told me he witnessed in a shop he had worked at.

A brand new Whitney jig bore was purchased (IIRC $50,000.00) and on its very first job the operator drilled a hole in the table.

Knowing he'd get chewed out royally by the foreman he came up with an idea.

He got a set of letter stamps & a tap & setscrew from the tool crib. Next, he tapped the hole and installed the setscrew & stamped 'OIL' around the new hole.

The foreman never found out and each time the lube tech came around, the new hole was dutifully lubed!

:D

Kiwi
09-08-2015, 01:38 AM
That would cause me self recrimination for years to come I hope I could update the mill and put it behind me but at the end of the day we are human and we all make mistakes and those that claim they don't are not exactly truthful or don't do anything

jhe.1973
09-08-2015, 01:57 AM
.................... we all make mistakes and those that claim they don't are not exactly truthful...........

I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong!

:D

Black Forest
09-08-2015, 07:19 AM
I bet when you looked at the damage it made your binkel hurt!

vpt
09-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Could just finish the job and mill all the way threw to the T-slot and have a new place to drop nuts into the slot. Could be convenient right in the middle of the table and all. :D

vpt
09-08-2015, 08:28 AM
I could just picture if we were all working in the same shop and this happened and everyone has to make their rounds to see the damage and then there would be a meeting on how to fix it.

Toolguy
09-08-2015, 11:23 AM
That's an easy fix. A good clean, some JB Weld, sand flat and you're done! Still, I know the pain of something like this. It hurts every time you see it or think about it. We cannot undo the past, thus my saying -"Experience is what you get right after you need it." We always pay for our education one way or another. Some forms of payment are easier on us than others.

becksmachine
09-08-2015, 08:42 PM
I feel your pain Weston. :(

This is my solution for the times when I have done essentially the same thing.

Dave

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b422/becksmachine/Collets/IMG_2208.jpg

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b422/becksmachine/Collets/IMG_2204.jpg

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b422/becksmachine/Collets/IMG_2226.jpg

Doozer
09-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Dave,
Interesting collet,
but why not use an
end mill holder or
an ER collet chuck?
Looks a little cobby.

-D

Doozer
09-08-2015, 08:52 PM
My opinion is that JB Weld is for posers. (Unless it is to fix a gas tank).
I would be thinking what alloy of silver solder I could fill in that table
with and get it milled back to pre-event condition.

-Doozer

tc429
09-08-2015, 09:33 PM
I saw a big G&L that had galled up or dinged up a section of the bed- they had a guy come in with a portable head on a slide, relieved the damaged area, made a exact fit radiused iron 'slug'- dunno how he fitted it as no screws, assume it was shrink fitted? maybe mogliced/devcon/loctite/whoknows- anyway they rescraped it, and other than a variation in the flaking pattern and the tinyiest line, you would never know it unless pointed out...

jhe.1973
09-08-2015, 09:56 PM
I feel your pain Weston. :(

This is my solution for the times when I have done essentially the same thing.

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b422/becksmachine/Collets/IMG_2204.jpg

Hi Dave

I really like this idea! thanks for sharing and thinking of it in the first place!

becksmachine
09-09-2015, 02:34 AM
Dave,
Interesting collet,
but why not use an
end mill holder or
an ER collet chuck?
Looks a little cobby.

-D

Hey! Leave my toes out of this!! :)

The name of the game with any machine tool is overhang, even more so with Sir John's favorite non-rigid Bridgeport style machine.

A 3/4" Weldon style holder adds 2 inches, a collet set up can be even more. A 3/4" shank in a Bridgey is pushing the envelope already, so any help in that department is sometimes the difference between chatter, chatter, chatter, pop and whirrrrrrrrrrr.

And it only looks a little cobby when compared to yours.

;)

Dave

boslab
09-09-2015, 04:50 AM
Everyone has drilled the table, just ream the hole bung a dowel in and dress, usually fairly hard to see.
It's not funny if it's a new table I know, I remember they had a new mill in the workshop and somebody milled a groove in it at 45 degrees, about 6" long, very ugly, the foreman had a fit, it offended him so much he ordered a new table, then got his ass chewed for wasting 4000 just because it offended him, it was ugly but ultimately did not affect the machine at all,
Mark