PDA

View Full Version : Beginners'Guide

Dunc
09-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Found this link on another site. Similar to the South Bend one.
Not saying it is better - or worse - just another option

http://www.pulse-jets.com/boxford/boxford_know_your_lathe.pdf

Baz
09-12-2015, 04:14 PM
It is pretty much the same book - with the poor American spelling corrected. ;)

flylo
09-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Proper English, Thank You! After all we did win & lucky for you we didn't have enough ships to follow you home & own the British Isles too:rolleyes:

Charles Spencer
09-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Looks very informative. Thanks.

Lew Hartswick
09-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Proper English, Thank You! After all we did win & lucky for you we didn't have enough ships to follow you home & own the British Isles too:rolleyes:

Good one Flylo. :-) The term "proper English" is always a good starting point for a lively "discussion" . :-)
...lew...

Mcgyver
09-13-2015, 11:07 AM
Proper English, Thank You! After all we did win & lucky for you

We? You were there? Proper English spelling won't happen, it is too much to hope for. I'd be happy just to have people stop saying "works good" or stop misusing "vintage" when they mean old or antique. Shivers of disgust. :)

mickeyf
09-13-2015, 11:23 AM
And apparently, thanks to text messaging, the apostrophe is doomed. "Your" is the new "you're". Despite that fact that it has always had an entirely different meaning.

kendall
09-13-2015, 12:08 PM
(clipped) or stop misusing "vintage" when they mean old or antique. Shivers of disgust. :)

Same thought here, another word that bugs me is when people try to sell slapped together crap and claim it's 'Rustic'

dp
09-13-2015, 12:32 PM

Luck for us, too. That's why we don't all have crooked teeth here.

Badaboom.

Normanv
09-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post

Proper English, Thank You! After all we did win & lucky for you we didn't have enough ships to follow you home & own the British Isles too

You win some, you lose some, at least we've still got Gibralter and the Falkland Islands.
On a serious note, I do get pissed off by the Americanisation of the language that we use in England. I don't mind what you do in the ex-colonies but please let us keep the "pure" version.

Mcgyver
09-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Same thought here, another word that bugs me is when people try to sell slapped together crap and claim it's 'Rustic'

I suppose it is a very thin line between rustic and hillbilly garbage, whether we're talking language or goods. :D

peter76
09-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Nice one, it talks about metric instead of only imperial, which is handy for me:-)