Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • winchman
    • Aug 2003

OT: A strange problem with uploading photos in Firefox 40.0.03 on Windows 8.1

I recently upgraded my computer to W8.1, and Firefox 40.0.3 was installed immediately after the upgrade. I've got all the available updates to W8.1.

I have always used the Magic Mail online server (provided by my ISP) for all my email activity, and it has worked just fine until recently. Now I'm having trouble uploading photos I want to email. When I try, I get an error message that says, "Request Time-out...Server timeout waiting for the HTTP request from the client." The photos are usually around 1.5Mb, well below the allowed 20Mb limit. I can however upload smaller files of around 70Kb.

Here are the rest of the symptoms:

I can upload photos to MM using Internet Explorer 11 or Chrome on this computer with no problems, and I can upload photos to MM from my wife's Vista machine in Firefox 40.0.3 with no problems.

If I restart the computer, I can upload photos to MM for that session. When I put the computer to sleep and wake it back up, I get the error message when I try to upload photos.

Exiting the browser and bringing it back up doesn't help.

Clearing the history and deleting all the cookies in FF didn't help.

Doing a refresh of FF didn't help.

Uninstalling FF completely and reinstalling it didn't help.

Turning of the pop-up blocker didn't help.

Turning off all the plug-ins didn't help.

Running FF in safe mode made no difference.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what putting the computer to sleep/waking it back up does that keeps me from being able to upload photos. The tech guys at my ISP haven't been able to help. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Last edited by winchman; 09-12-2015, 04:56 PM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.
  • kf2qd
    • Apr 2007

That is easy... Don't put it to sleep with those programs running. I have had all sorts of programs that use communications services and networking not function properly after a sleep wake cycle. Some programs just don't like doing that.

Sounds like going to the doctor and complaining that it hurts when you hit yourself in the head with a bat. Stop hitting yourself in the head with a bat...

Comment

• winchman
      • Aug 2003

How do I stop them from "running"? What I've always done is log out on the Magic Mail site, minimize the browser (so that the desktop is showing), and then press the sleep button. That worked fine in W8 with earlier versions of FF.

Do I need to actually exit the browser to stop it from running? I'll try that the next time I need to restart the computer.

I found a bunch of stuff about people having problems uploading photos to websites in FF, but nothing suggested in those discussions seems to help.
      Last edited by winchman; 09-13-2015, 03:38 AM.
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
      X