PDA

View Full Version : What do I do now?

rolland
09-17-2015, 01:19 AM
My next door neighbor was cleaning out his garage and found an older model treadmill about 1998, since I am a good neighbor I helped him get rid of it, in my shop. I spent the next day disassembling parting out and desposing of the frame and such used the board for a shelf its mdf and the frame went to another neighbor that need some material for an unknown project. I got the motor and controller out ordered a pot and rewired it. I now have a really nice variable speed motor, only one problem I don't have anything to use it on :confused:.

BigBoy1
09-17-2015, 07:09 AM
A solution looking for a problem! Just put it away in a very safe place and when you do find a project to use it on, you won't be able to find it.

flylo
09-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Send it to me & I'll store it for you.

A.K. Boomer
09-17-2015, 09:19 AM
I had a treadmill phenomenon happen awhile back, actually me and another person,

there was this hot gurl at the gym who I got to know and was consistently flirting with and she was a cardio machine and I was a meat head...
anyways - one day i walked in and seen her on the treadmill going at it - some TM's were facing away from the cardio rooms entrance and some towards - she happened to be on one of the machines facing away...

I thought this would be a prime time to impress her - run up behind and jump on the TM behind her and just start jogging with her ( don't judge - like I say - used to be a meathead )

so I go running up and take a leap through the air and just jump on the thing with my first foot forward thinking i'll just match things up when I touch down - WRONG,
close to 200 lbs hits that belt and it simply stalled out the entire machine flywheel momentum/motor and everything -

of course she was at speed with her pace and it sent her right into the front of the machine and she basically crashed into the bars and then fell down ---
I was expecting the belt to keep moving too, so I ended up kinda tripping on her and crashing right behind her - almost on top of her because her crash took place sooner ---- that's about when the VFD decided it would have none of this "getting bogged down crap"

so almost immediately after the stall-out comes this unbelievable rush of pure torque from the belt, now I am kinda laying on top of her but shielding her from my full weight with my arms off to the sides of her,
then we both get immediately whisked away and go for this wild ride whilst getting spit out the back of the machine like a couple of tootsie rolls on a high speed production line...

We came to a resting place on the gym carpeting about 3 ft behind the TM - she was a petite little thing and ended up in my arms, I seriously thought it was kinda an intimate moment because even though I caused the whole mess I did after all protect her from immanent danger - I also remember thinking how wonderful her hair smelled - I thought for sure she had recognized this fact because she just let me hold her for awhile while I was laughing at my mistake, but it was not to be - later I found out she was just dazed and confused and trying to piece the puzzle together on how her run went so horribly wrong ---- Boy was she pissed...

actually probably could have been one hell of a lawsuit but iv always had a defense mechanism in most everybody who knows me also knows that im always broke...
it also seemed like she never again used the TM's that were facing away from the cardio entrance - forced into behaving like an outlaw --- back against the wall...

make a long story short - took me another half year before I finally got her phone #,

and yes she was a good enough sport to laugh about it - but only when we drank...

browne92
09-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Cut the walking belt and lay it flat. Makes a decent mat for in front of the bench or lathe.

danlb
09-17-2015, 10:50 AM
There are a lot of things that benefit from a good variable speed system. Drill presses, mills, polishers, belt sanders... The list goes on and on.

I'd be tempted to make a 3 wheel belt sander. They are incredibly useful, and there are plans available so that you can build one from bar stock and bolts or from weldments.

Dan

RB211
09-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Is it a brushless motor?

Mike Amick
09-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Just set em in the corner. when you happen upon other speed controls .. you have a motor to test them
with. When you happen upon other motors .. well you get the idea.

mattthemuppet
09-17-2015, 04:55 PM
just put one on my lathe, have another one from a neighbour to put on my drill press. If I had another one after that I'd make a disk/ belt sander (going to use the DP motor instead), then who knows? Polisher, rock tumbler, windmill generator etc.

Add a tach and a DPDT switch and you'll have speed readout and reversing too. I posted a thread on mine but it's probably several pages back by now.

John Stevenson
09-17-2015, 07:36 PM
I had a treadmill phenomenon happen awhile back, actually me and another person,

there was this hot gurl at the gym who I got to know and was consistently flirting with and she was a cardio machine and I was a meat head...
anyways - one day i walked in and seen her on the treadmill going at it - some TM's were facing away from the cardio rooms entrance and some towards - she happened to be on one of the machines facing away...

I thought this would be a prime time to impress her - run up behind and jump on the TM behind her and just start jogging with her ( don't judge - like I say - used to be a meathead )

so I go running up and take a leap through the air and just jump on the thing with my first foot forward thinking i'll just match things up when I touch down - WRONG,
close to 200 lbs hits that belt and it simply stalled out the entire machine flywheel momentum/motor and everything -

of course she was at speed with her pace and it sent her right into the front of the machine and she basically crashed into the bars and then fell down ---
I was expecting the belt to keep moving too, so I ended up kinda tripping on her and crashing right behind her - almost on top of her because her crash took place sooner ---- that's about when the VFD decided it would have none of this "getting bogged down crap"

so almost immediately after the stall-out comes this unbelievable rush of pure torque from the belt, now I am kinda laying on top of her but shielding her from my full weight with my arms off to the sides of her,
then we both get immediately whisked away and go for this wild ride whilst getting spit out the back of the machine like a couple of tootsie rolls on a high speed production line...

We came to a resting place on the gym carpeting about 3 ft behind the TM - she was a petite little thing and ended up in my arms, I seriously thought it was kinda an intimate moment because even though I caused the whole mess I did after all protect her from immanent danger - I also remember thinking how wonderful her hair smelled - I thought for sure she had recognized this fact because she just let me hold her for awhile while I was laughing at my mistake, but it was not to be - later I found out she was just dazed and confused and trying to piece the puzzle together on how her run went so horribly wrong ---- Boy was she pissed...

actually probably could have been one hell of a lawsuit but iv always had a defense mechanism in most everybody who knows me also knows that im always broke...
it also seemed like she never again used the TM's that were facing away from the cardio entrance - forced into behaving like an outlaw --- back against the wall...

make a long story short - took me another half year before I finally got her phone #,

and yes she was a good enough sport to laugh about it - but only when we drank...

Thank f*ck you are half a world away.
You and Evan would make a good tag wrestling team..........................

rolland
09-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Is it a brushless motor?

No it has brushes and the com is like new from the size of some that live there I don't think anyone used it.

rolland
09-17-2015, 07:43 PM
just put one on my lathe, have another one from a neighbour to put on my drill press. If I had another one after that I'd make a disk/ belt sander (going to use the DP motor instead), then who knows? Polisher, rock tumbler, windmill generator etc.

Add a tach and a DPDT switch and you'll have speed readout and reversing too. I posted a thread on mine but it's probably several pages back by now.
If you find the thread let me know I would like to see what you have done.

mattthemuppet
09-17-2015, 10:34 PM
If you find the thread let me know I would like to see what you have done.

here you go (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/67907-Atlas-618-treadmill-motor-conversion?highlight=mattthemuppet)

rolland
09-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Matt
Thanks you have given me some ideas good post

mattthemuppet
09-18-2015, 01:33 PM
you're very welcome and thanks!

Gary Paine
09-18-2015, 02:32 PM
here you go (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/67907-Atlas-618-treadmill-motor-conversion?highlight=mattthemuppet)

Out of curiosity, Matt, where did you get the 12 volts dc for the tach? I am considering a wall wart 1 amp switching supply for my new one.

mattthemuppet
09-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Out of curiosity, Matt, where did you get the 12 volts dc for the tach? I am considering a wall wart 1 amp switching supply for my new one.

exactly that! Although I think mine was a 9VDC wall wart - the input range is 9-15VDC from memory - and the current output is irrelevant as it requires a few 10s of mA. I use wall warts a lot in retrofitting lamps with LED lights, so I collect them whenever I see them and strip them out of their casings.

You can see it a little more clearly in the bottom of this photo. I covered the bottom with insulating tape and taped it to the tach box. The AC input wires are the thin ones on the right from the switch

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p752/mattthemuppet/Lathe/IMG_4050_zpslauk0pib.jpg

rolland
09-18-2015, 07:30 PM
I know I am showing my lack of electronics knowledge but what is a wall wart and what is it used for:confused: Never mind I googled it and found out what I needed to know. I never heard that term applied to a power supply before. :p

WilsonT
09-18-2015, 11:04 PM
I used the belt off of a treadmill to make a table cover for my mill. Keeps the swarf out of the t-slots.