PDA

View Full Version : OT sport

plunger
09-20-2015, 07:49 AM
I think sport is a wonderful way to relax and is good for nation building
As we speak the rugby world cup is on.The pool stages are on.Minnows USA are playing against Samoa.
Yesterday minnows Japan slayed the Giants of S Africa.A nation is in mourning. I predict that USA will become a World power in rugby (sevens) in a few years time.
USA has such a huge population and now that it is an olympic sport I believe it will take off big time.
The link below is the difference in safety gear between the two codes of american football and rugby.I am just curious to know if,at this stage anyone even bothers to watch the world cup in the states.
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=368600&d=1442652667

Lew Hartswick
09-20-2015, 08:50 AM
OH! I see they don't wear pants or shoes in Rugby or even use a ball. Just what is the object? to get a sun-tan ? :-)
...lew...

mklotz
09-20-2015, 09:46 AM
If religion is the opium of the people then dumb sports must be the crack.

Toolguy
09-20-2015, 10:06 AM
LaCrosse has about the same amount of safety gear, but everyone has a stick to whack you with.

Mcgyver
09-20-2015, 10:08 AM
If religion is the opium of the people then dumb sports must be the crack.

and grumpy old farts are the barbiturates

dalee100
09-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Hi,

Not really sure that Rugby will compete easily with American Football, (hand-egg for you "footballers"), in the US. Though it might eventually might with all the serious brain injuries the NFL is suffering. But that is another discussion.

I suspect the Samoan sharks will swallow the little US minnows quite easily. And less than few will care here at home, what with the Sunday afternoon being the NFL's day. Do the Samoan's do the war chants before the game? An interesting tidbit of culture and impressive display. Being a homer, I'm rooting for the the US minnows.

And for you nay sayers, I agree with Plunger, sport can be a good thing. Particularly when you participate. Healthy body and a healthy mind. But even watching builds community bonds and pride, (see tailgating before football games). Something that is often lacking in today's cities.

Dalee

Doozer
09-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Sports pacifies the masses.
Give them food and give them a distraction
from what the government is doing, and you
can control the population, as they remain
fat and happy. Whatever sports hero either
wins or looses, has NO effect on my life.
And it pisses me off that my taxes are being
misappropriated to build a sports arena in
my city. Pure bullshlt.

-Doozer

rythmnbls
09-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Samoan's do the war chants before the game? An interesting tidbit of culture and impressive display.

The All Blacks, the New Zealand team are famous for their war chant ritual pre-game, not sure if the Samoans do the same.

Steve.

winchman
09-20-2015, 10:52 AM
I lost what little appreciation I had for sports while working my way through college on a work/study program. I was required to attend every home game as a freshman, and later the athletes repeatedly bumped me from classes I needed to keep on schedule.

flylo
09-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Sports pacifies the masses.
Give them food and give them a distraction
from what the government is doing, and you
can control the population, as they remain
fat and happy. Whatever sports hero either
my city. Pure bullshlt.

-Doozer

+1 I agree 100%. IMHO I could care less, never been a "team" player. I like sports where I'm the team, if I win or lose it up to me & if I can't play I'm not wasting my time watching someone else play & can't believe how much time, money & energy are wasted on watching sports, But that's just me. I'm not a spectator, I'm a doer not a watcher who lives for someone elses victory.

plunger
09-20-2015, 11:28 AM
USA did well and held there own.This is the 15 man version. Sevens is a much faster and skillfull game. America have improved in leaps and bounds .The one player is a 100m track athlete.
You forget I come from a country where the world cup was held when Mandela just became President. Historically the Springbok rugby team was a symbol of oppression to the black masses.He donned the springbok jersey with the captains number on it.We won the world cup and the country was united for a while.Things have taken a bad turn since then.,
Doozer I live in a town where thirteen percent of the population pay rates and taxes .The rest dont. The thirteen percent are in the minority by far in terms of the political party they represent.We have just won the bid to represent the common wealth games.We have been celebrating our sucsess but were the only bidders.No one else wants it. This will drain our already depleted coffers in a country with a twenty five percent unemployment.

rythmnbls
09-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Same here flylo, my kinda sports are the Isle of Man TT or the Ulster GP races. I'll watch Aussie Rugby League or a bit of Union on occasion, but motorcycle racing is my first love.

Steve.

PStechPaul
09-20-2015, 03:25 PM
I was never very much of a sports enthusiast, as spectator or participant. But I enjoyed bowling, tennis, and volleyball, and played quite often. I became especially involved in volleyball from about 1981, when I played recreationally a couple times a week, and then by 1990 I was playing as often as 6-7 times a week, on several teams, and I participated in numerous tournaments, sometimes winning first place. I understand the attraction of individual sports, such as tennis, but it is also a good experience to play as part of a team.

Bowling combines individual skills (it's just you against the pins) with team spirit which involves a lot of psychological interplay where you can encourage a teammate, who may be performing poorly, to rally and do well.

Volleyball involves a more complex set of individual skills as well as team strategy and dynamics. I have been on teams where the negative attitude of one or more teammates has caused the entire team to fold into defeat, and I have also experienced tremendous rallies and comebacks where team leaders have promoted a positive attitude.

I don't really enjoy "blood sports", such as boxing, ice hockey, and American football, and I think it is often the violence and chance of serious injury that attract some fans. Spectator sports may help to unite a school or a city in support of their team, but the underlying violence of human nature can be seen in the riots that often break out after a devastating loss (or even a win), and the fights that occur among players, fans, and parents of kids who play sports in school. We are a highly competitive society, and team sports can help build cooperation along with the desire to win. Good sportsmanship is a valuable asset in sports as well as business and personal interactions, but it seems to be less prevalent lately.

boslab
09-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Same here flylo, my kinda sports are the Isle of Man TT or the Ulster GP races. I'll watch Aussie Rugby League or a bit of Union on occasion, but motorcycle racing is my first love.

Steve.
They call the TT the isle of manslaughter TT round here, I wouldn't ride some of those bends on a bycycle myself.
Rugby union is easier to understand than American football, I do watch it but sometimes I think I'm missing something, snooker is more my cup of tea these days!
Mark

wierdscience
09-20-2015, 09:21 PM
I am just curious to know if,at this stage anyone even bothers to watch the world cup in the states.
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=368600&d=1442652667

What do Rugby Cheerleaders wear?:D

Charles Spencer
09-20-2015, 11:10 PM
Whatever sports hero either
my city. Pure bullshlt.

-Doozer

I hear you on that. I don't really think we should be subsidizing billionaires so that they have more money to pay millionaires.

The Patriots tried that once - build us a new stadium or we move. The community said OK - where are you going?

I should explain they couldn't really move very far. Bob Kraft was still basically working for his father-in-law and that's where his money came from. And the old man wasn't going anywhere.

When they said they'd go to Hartford the reaction was between a snicker and a guffaw.

They paid for their own stadium.

As to rugby, I don't think of it as less violent than football. We have a local team and everybody on it is either police, military, Irish or some combination of those. I believe the rules are no biting and no eye gouging.

yf
09-21-2015, 01:21 AM
Here in Brooklyn, driving, is a contact sport.
For the most part, performed using the Braille system.
Parking is much more violent. ;)