View Full Version : What kind of ductwork is this and how do you take it apart?

09-21-2015, 12:39 PM

It's in a really hard to get to place, so I want to know what I'd be dealing with before I get there.

09-21-2015, 01:15 PM
I believe it is similar to the Rolastar product (http://www.rolastar.com/rola-tdf.html) pictured below

Courtesy: Rolastar

Flanges are formed on the edges of the duct.
Duct sections are positioned together, sandwiching
a gasket.
Channel-shaped cleats are placed over the flanges
Your cleats appear to take fasteners.
Two L-shaped Corners tie the cleats together and
fasten to each other.

09-21-2015, 01:29 PM
My vote is that the hardware used in your photo is
the Ductmate 25/35/45 connection system (http://ductmate.com/product.aspx?id=2) for
rectangular duct.

If so, here is some literature

DuctMate '25'/'35'/'45' Rectangular Duct System (http://www.plenumsplus.com/media/Ductmate.pdf)

A video that may be useful (my present machine
is not Flash-enabled)

Ductmate Industries Inc. 25/35/45 Flange System Instructional Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R81wH0kk7Z4)


09-21-2015, 02:38 PM
the double individual clips on each side hold it together, there will probably be some sort of butyl sealant in the joint. You might have to make some slack in the hangers to get it apart.


09-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I see the need for a special tool I do not have for dealing with the clips, and from what I can tell, there's no room to move the adjacent pieces up or down to get the short section out.

I think I'll leave this for the maintenance department guys. They'll probably get around to it in several months. :(