PDA

View Full Version : OT : Computer questions

mochinist
06-24-2004, 07:51 PM
First question: What is the best way to move your stored items and programs from one computer to a new one. Basically is there a program or a preferred way to do this.

Second: My wife's friend gave us a macintosh performa 631CD, I hooked it up so my five and three year old can play with it instead of my P.C. My question is I plugged it all in except for the mouse because I cant figure out where to plug it in except in the same spot where the key board plugs in. Is there a splitter I can buy or am I totally missing something here. Thanks for the help.

BillH
06-24-2004, 08:05 PM
The mouse I think plugs into the keyboard on the SmashAndTosh.
As for file transfers, a Home network, or an external Hard Drive would be my choices. Burn the files to a CD rom too if you wanted.

Evan
06-25-2004, 01:09 AM
That machine was discontinued in 1995. Good luck. It uses an Apple Desktop Bus Mouse II which probably daisy chains into the keyboard as Bill says.

Network is by far the easiest for file transfer. If you transfer via CD keep in mind that all files burned to a CD will be marked as "Read Only".

Joel
06-25-2004, 01:15 AM
My favorite way is simply to plug the old hard drive into the new computer and copy the files normally. Burning to CD is an alternative.

DICKEYBIRD
06-25-2004, 09:50 AM
<<My favorite way is simply to plug the old hard drive into the new computer and copy the files normally.>>

I've heard of this but have never seen concise instructions on how to do it. Is this something that a regular semi computer-literate guy can do? I want to install a new 7200 rpm drive in my workshop box since they're pretty cheap now but have been afraid of the actual process. Don't you have to do some BIOS, master & slave, and partition stuff, all those things I get that "deer in the headlights look" over.

mochinist
06-25-2004, 10:38 AM
The plug in was on the keyboard, I only had to look at it about five or six times before I found it on the bottom hiding in a little notch. If you guys hadnt said something I dont think I ever would have looked there. LOL Thx

lynnl
06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
A few years ago, after upgrading a HD in one computer, I used a facitity in Windows, called 'Direct Cable Connection' to transfer files from an older machine to the upgraded one. In my case the old machine was Win 95 and the new was Win 98, so I had some difficulty in making it work. But eventually made it work.
That worked somewhat like the old Lap Link 3rd party software: ie. you hook either a serial or parallel cable between ports and the software permits selecting directories/files to be transferred.

Searching the 'Help' topics on Win 2000, it looks like that's now call DirectParallel Connection.

YJ_Jeff
06-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Those are all good ways of transferring files but if you want to move your applications (programs) you will most likely have to reinstall them from the original disks. This is because applications that run on Windows usually are made up of many components that need to be recorded in the Windows registry. Simply copying all the files from its directory will probably not be enough to have it run on the new computer successfully. Furthermore, some applications spread some of the components they use over several directories including the Windows directories too.

If you are just talking about older DOS-based applications then it is probably safe to just copy the files as if they were data files.

Windows XP includes a utility to help transfer your system settings from one computer to another. Making it easier to setup email and your contact lists.

Good Luck!
-Jeff

Excitable Boy
06-25-2004, 12:29 PM
If you want to move already installed programs your best bet is to buy a utility called Norton Ghost which is designed to copy your entire disk to a new one.

John

------------------
Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Evan
06-25-2004, 12:51 PM
I assume the new computer will already have the XP operating system and the old one does not. That leaves out Norton Ghost as an option. The simplest way is to hook the old hard drive up on the secondary IDE channel. Unplug the CD which probably currently occupies that spot and hook the CD IDE cable to the old drive. You won't need to change any jumpers or BIOS settings as the old drive will already be set to run as Master and the motherboard will autodetect the drive. You can then copy all of your data to the new drive. Programs, as mentioned, will have to be re-installed. In nearly all cases it is not possible to move them, as explained.

Paul Alciatore
06-25-2004, 02:18 PM
I am somewhat of a computer person as I must install and maintain several high power systems for video editing. I recently had a bad experience with my home machine when I attempted to add a new hard drive to the existing set-up. It should have been a simple thing but I wound up completely rebuilding everything. I strongly recommend that before donig anything you should make not one but at least two backups of all your files on the machine. Better safe than sorry. It certainly saved me.

My general approach to moving things to a new machine is as follows:

First I do the backups. Second I install the operating system on the new machine if it is not already loaded.

Chances are, your new machine will have a lot larger hard drive than the old one. I install the old drive in the new machine and copy the entire drive into a directory that I name someting like "OldCDrive". That puts everything; programs, files, settings, everything from the old machine into the new but not necessairly in a useful fashion. A standard IDE drive can be easily installed in a new machine without any jumper changes if the second IDE chain (connector) is available. Simply remove the drive and it's cable from the old computer and install it in the new one on the second IDE connector (which is normally located on the mother board right next to the first IDE connector). If both IDE connectors have drives attached, it may be possible to temporairly disconnect the secondary chain to do this but be sure to restore the original connections after copying the old drive.

Note: Each IDE chain can have two drives, a MASTER and a SLAVE. Which is which is usuallydetermined by the jumper setting on the drive itself. Your system drive is normally the MASTER on the first or Primary IDE chain. This is where your computer looks for the boot files - well, one of the places, at least. You can NOT have two drives set as MASTER on a single chain. One must be MASTER and the other the SLAVE.

Once all the old files are on the new drive, I use several general approaches. Data files are just copied into the new My Documents folder. Some programs, mostly the simpler ones, can be just copied into the Programs folder and will run with no further installation. It does not hurt to try this. After copying the entire folder for that program, just double click on the .exe file and see if it works. If it does, you can make a shortcut and add it to the desktop and/or Start folder and you are done. If re-installation is required, then install it over itself in the same folder you just copied from the old C drive. In many cases, this will preserve the settings you made on the old machine and it will run as you expected it to. If your settings are not preserved by this trick, you can search for the files that contain them and try replacing them with the same files from the old C drive after the install (that's why you should copy these folders instead of moving them). Be sure to rename and keep the new files first in case things go astray and you need to restore them.

Other files, like special fonts, can also be copied into the appropriate folders from the old drive. Favorites are actually a directory type structure and can be copied into the new Favorites folder and the old and new will merge together preserving all of them. E-mail files are another question and it is best to use whatever method your e-mail programs recommends.

Anyway, that's how I do it and it seems to save time in getting the new machine configured the way I want.

Paul A.

nheng
06-25-2004, 02:29 PM
In general, a fast network connection would be my first choice.

Evan: Ghost Explorer is pretty powerful for restoring "selections" from a ghost archive. It also supports standard cut and paste operations. All from within Windows (including XP) except for full ghost backup and restores, which require a DOS boot.

I think that the enterprise version of Ghost does everything within Windows if desired. It must somehow "lock" all activities or take a snapshot of them ... ain't cheap though http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 06-25-2004).]

Evan
06-25-2004, 02:30 PM
A lot of people have asked me why Outlook Express does not have a utility to export the e-mail. The reason is that it isn't needed. To save e-mails just create a folder on the desktop and open Outlook Express so that you can see the folder at the same time as your inbox/outbox/whatever. Highlight the e-mails you want to save and drag and drop them in the folder on the desktop. Simple.

Evan
06-25-2004, 02:49 PM
If anyone wants a legitimate original copy of Norton Ghost 2003 drop me an e-mail. I have ten original disks for the first ten callers, no charge. The CD also includes Norton Internet Security 2003 but it will probably run only on a Biostar motherboard. AFAIK, the Ghost version will run on anything.