PDA

View Full Version : Any uses for STP in the shop?

pgmrdan
09-25-2015, 08:36 AM
I use it on the tail stock dead center. Not sure that's a good use for it.

Thick and slippery so I've wondered if it would be a good way oil for a small lathe. What do you think?

Anyone use it in their shop?

loose nut
09-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Tail stock lube should be an extreme pressure lube, does STP qualify as that??????????????

Doozer
09-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Use CMD on centers.

-D

atty
09-25-2015, 10:34 AM
A friend of mine made a believer out of me when he tossed me a tube of Super Lube for dead center work. I thought it was just another form of "Snake Oil", but after 15 minutes and no squealing......I was hooked. Before that I had thrown everything I could find on it.....wheel bearing grease, Teflon products, Lithium White Grease. Nothing made it past about 7 minutes. This Super Lube stuff didn't quit. Comes in a gray tube or can. Well worth giving it a try.

sarge41
09-25-2015, 11:30 AM
What is "Super Lube" and where do you get it.

Sarge

wierdscience
09-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Full synthetic grease-

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-1174&cm_mmc=SEM-_-GGL-_-PLA-_-NA&003=18299132&010=505-1174&mkwid=s|dc&pcrid=40408458734&gclid=CN73jZXBksgCFdgWgQodqgIDXg

Forestgnome
09-25-2015, 11:40 AM
Tail stock lube should be an extreme pressure lube, does STP qualify as that??????????????

Yes. STP was the go-to engine assembly lube in the old days. Don't know how it compares to the new stuff though.

firbikrhd1
09-25-2015, 11:45 AM
I mix STP with some Crane Cams cam assembly lube which is molydisulfide based, as a lube for tail centers.

RichR
09-25-2015, 11:45 AM
Full synthetic grease-

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-1174&cm_mmc=SEM-_-GGL-_-PLA-_-NA&003=18299132&010=505-1174&mkwid=s|dc&pcrid=40408458734&gclid=CN73jZXBksgCFdgWgQodqgIDXg

Interesting, Enco lists it for $8.85 a tube. Home Depot lists it for $5.21 a tube shipped free to the store for pickup:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-3-oz-Tube-Synthetic-Grease-with-Syncolon-PTFE-21030/202932687

Forrest Addy
09-25-2015, 11:58 AM
STP is what\ my old mechanic called "sucker snot" - heavily promoted plausible seeming but not really effective stuff only fad followers bought. It made the seller rich and the users strangely loyal but bewildered. Just because it's slippery feeling in the "pick up the screwdriver" test doesn't mean it's effective as a lubricant. If lubrication engineers and fleet operations maintenance supervisors thought the ingredients in STP were effective they'd already be in motor oil.

STP is not an extreme pressure lube but it is incredibly messy to handle. Butter is a better center lube than STP. If I needed a good center lube I'd get a good center lube and avoid better-than-nothing expedients unless I absolutely had to because the stores were closed. If I needed a good center lube I'd use moly-disulfide grease if I had any or most any other grease as second best.

Stuff of dubious value accumulates fast enough. The useless stuff like STP takes up space that could be used for good stuff. I'd recycle it. Oh, wait. STP is good stuff to torment ant hills with. Place one drop near the entrance and wacth a zillion ants mire themselves trying to cope with it. If you're a rotten, despicable 10 year old kid, that is.

lakeside53
09-25-2015, 12:44 PM
A rotten, despicable 10 year old kid would put them all out of their misery with a 6 inch magnifying glass (sunny day)! ;)

wierdscience
09-25-2015, 12:44 PM
STP is what\ my old mechanic called "sucker snot" - heavily promoted plausible seeming but not really effective stuff only fad followers bought. It made the seller rich and the users strangely loyal but bewildered. Just because it's slippery feeling in the "pick up the screwdriver" test doesn't mean it's effective as a lubricant. If lubrication engineers and fleet operations maintenance supervisors thought the ingredients in STP were effective they'd already be in motor oil.

Our Lubricant vendor at work told us years ago that it's nothing but Bright stock with a whole bunch of VI added and I believe him.It's main use is by shady used car salesmen to quiet things down a bit before a sale/screwing.

lakeside53
09-25-2015, 12:57 PM
Look at the MSDS for "Sea foam"... then you wonder why all the raves. Sure.. the Isopropyl alcohol absorbs water... and the base oil lubricates, but..

Then there's Marvel Mystery oil.. pretty color though. ;)

wierdscience
09-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Then WD40 stoddard solvent + perfume :D

The Fixer
09-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Pour STP in large shallow tray and place in window sills and way back under cupboards and benches....... excellent pest control for flies and crawlies! :) Otherwise its great for re-gifting?

I use it on the tail stock dead center. Not sure that's a good use for it.

Thick and slippery so I've wondered if it would be a good way oil for a small lathe. What do you think?

Anyone use it in their shop?

hephaestus
09-25-2015, 05:36 PM
What is "Super Lube" and where do you get it.

Sarge
You can also use Super Lube on
High Pressure Air fittings. People use it
on scuba or dive gear i guess, I use it on
my high pressure air pump for my
air rifle.

Forestgnome
09-25-2015, 06:20 PM

STP is not an extreme pressure lube but it is incredibly messy to handle. Butter is a better center lube than STP. If I needed a good center lube I'd get a good center lube and avoid better-than-nothing expedients unless I absolutely had to because the stores were closed. If I needed a good center lube I'd use moly-disulfide grease if I had any or most any other grease as second best.

Stuff of dubious value accumulates fast enough. The useless stuff like STP takes up space that could be used for good stuff. I'd recycle it. Oh, wait. STP is good stuff to torment ant hills with. Place one drop near the entrance and wacth a zillion ants mire themselves trying to cope with it. If you're a rotten, despicable 10 year old kid, that is.

STP contains ZDDP (zinc compounds). That is what makes it good for engine assembly lube. I believe that's also what makes it a high pressure lube.

Willy
09-25-2015, 06:38 PM
It's tackifiers also make it a good open gear and wire rope lubricant or wherever an oil alone would drip off.

But yes according to it's msds sheet it's main active ingredient is the ZDDP which does work as an EP additive in that it is good for protection in highly loaded scuffing sliding situations.

The high viscosity index does enable it to also assist in forming a hydrodynamic layer to separate components.
Don't think I've ever used it in an engine though.

sasquatch
09-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Back years ago when STP first showed up on the market, i was working at an old GM dealership, that had a number of ancient mechanics that had been there almost forever. Lol
One day this guy comes around to demonstrate this new STP stuff, and yup, he used the screwdriver -try to hold it - demonstration, and a number of old fellas swore by it after being unable to hold the screwdriver. From then on, the stockroom had cases of the stuff, and sold many thousands of cans to customers. (Every oil change it was highly recommended to add a can, or even two if there was an oil consumption problem.) Lot of people swore by it back then.

Black_Moons
09-25-2015, 08:11 PM
air rifle.

Oil + High pressure air = Kaboom. As any diesel mechanic knows..

Joe Rogers
09-25-2015, 08:54 PM
air rifle.
Food safe too.
Joe

CalM
09-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Oil + High pressure air = Kaboom. As any diesel mechanic knows..

High pressure and oil?

Hydraulic systems routinely run 3000-4500 psi. They ALL have air in them "somewhere".

No Kabooms from the combination that I am aware of.

wierdscience
09-25-2015, 09:58 PM
High pressure and oil?

Hydraulic systems routinely run 3000-4500 psi. They ALL have air in them "somewhere".

No Kabooms from the combination that I am aware of.

Right,the air simply diffuses into the oil like CO2 in a bottle of soda and then fizzes off in the reservoir.

Air used to charge a hydraulic accumulator though is an entirely different circumstance and can diesel or even explode-

http://www.gpmhydraulic.com/WhatYouDontKnowAboutAccumulatorsCanKillYou.pdf

Mcostello
09-25-2015, 10:34 PM
I called Starrett and asked what they use on their edge finders and they told me Stp. I used Super Lube oil on My wood stove blower and after about 1/2 hour it locked up, Cleaned every thing out with solvent and used motor oil and no more problems. The oil seemed to gunk up and get stiff.

Juiceclone
09-26-2015, 05:47 PM
From a long time back .....STP is not supposed to be a great lubricant by itself . The original thing about it was that when mixed in an engine with whatever oil was being used, it was supposed to prevent surfaces that have been setting without lubrication for some time ?like overnight/week? from having all the lube slowly "crawling" off. With the STP, supposedly, the lube stayed on say cylinder surfaces longer, so when the engine was started the lube was already there. I can't say if true or not, but it sounded good!

Tolerance
09-26-2015, 06:32 PM
In the year 2015 why is anyone using a dead center in the tail stock of a lathe for turning?
I can see the utility in tool grinding applications such as tap or reamer grinding where you index the part at low speeds and the center needs to be very small in diameter. One of the reasons that some small taps are pointed on each end is that they are made using female centers.

Running a 1/2" round steel bar at the rotational speeds required on a dead center seems silly today when accurate and reasonably priced live centers are readily available. If you require very high precision try Royal live centers, a bit pricey however yet last a very long time in high use applications.

Mcostello
09-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Does anyone remember the Sunoco oil commercial where they spun 3 ball bearings in a cup and they welded themselves together? Then they took 3 more balls and put 1 drop of oil on them and spun them and they did not weld together? Probably just cleaned the first set real good.

macona
09-27-2015, 02:21 AM
In the year 2015 why is anyone using a dead center in the tail stock of a lathe for turning?

No idea. They are a pain. I think some people thing they are more accurate.

I have a nice selection of live centers but mostly rely on my Skoda CNC style live center.

10KPete
09-27-2015, 03:57 AM
I bought a Skoda new in 1983 when I acquired the 10K and it still is perfect. I just keep it oiled up and
it goes and goes.

Pete

loose nut
09-27-2015, 09:51 AM
I can see the utility in tool grinding applications such as tap or reamer grinding where you index the part at low speeds and the center needs to be very small in diameter. One of the reasons that some small taps are pointed on each end is that they are made using female centers.

Running a 1/2" round steel bar at the rotational speeds required on a dead center seems silly today when accurate and reasonably priced live centers are readily available. If you require very high precision try Royal live centers, a bit pricey however yet last a very long time in high use applications.

Sometimes you need a small diam. center and the live centers are to big. Also, some of us can't afford one of the fancy centers with the long narrow tip on it and since we don't do high speed production work we don't need much more then a dead center anyway.

outback
09-28-2015, 02:38 PM
When was the last time you heard of "Slick 50".

I tried that stuff in an old Dodge 360 motorhome. I really thought the engine ran smoother. Then again maybe I was justifying $25 spent. Jim

Axkiker
09-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Ive never used the stp stuff but I assume its sorta like the Lucas oil treatment products. Ive used Lucas for years and like it. I even use it to lube the gears in my lathe. Cant say its better or worse than anything else but I know it sure quietens down noisy gears well.

Arcane
09-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Right,the air simply diffuses into the oil like CO2 in a bottle of soda and then fizzes off in the reservoir.

Air used to charge a hydraulic accumulator though is an entirely different circumstance and can diesel or even explode-

http://www.gpmhydraulic.com/WhatYouDontKnowAboutAccumulatorsCanKillYou.pdf

Dieseling in hydraulic systems has been known to occur.

http://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/hydraulic-cylinder.html

http://hydraulicspneumatics.com/blog/2-ways-air-gets-hydraulic-cylinders-and-how-it-then-destroys-them

Arcane
09-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Ive never used the stp stuff but I assume its sorta like the Lucas oil treatment products. Ive used Lucas for years and like it. I even use it to lube the gears in my lathe. Cant say its better or worse than anything else but I know it sure quietens down noisy gears well.

From what I have read Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer is just a very heavy weight oil with no additives.