PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 problem

Old Time
09-28-2015, 12:05 AM
About a year ago, my laptop had a problem, I don't remember what it was now. So my wife takes it to the local computer guru. After he'd had it a couple of days he called up in a lather and announced that he didn't like some of the photos I had in files. These were mainly political jokes about the current President and his secretary of State. He wanted to delete them, I told him to just leave them alone. So, I pay him for the repairs and notice that now it will only download pictures that are posted on Photobucket. I realized that I had a problem when my daughter posted pictures of our grand daughter on Facebook, my wifes computer downloads them just fine. Mine tells me it can't find the file or just downloads a blank page. Do any of you have a clue what this guy did to the computer to block downloading pictures? Any hints or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks and take care.
Old Time

danlb
09-28-2015, 01:33 AM
First, I'd suggest that you find a new IT guy. In 30 years of system administration, I've almost never needed to look at the CONTENT of a computer that I was fixing. I've looked at file names as I checked to see that the correct files were present, but that's a far cry from looking at your pictures, word docs, etc.

I can't begin to guess what he screwed up on your system. There are so many ways to screw it up that I can't begin to make a suggestion.

Dan

jhe.1973
09-28-2015, 01:52 AM
Agree totally w/above!

Perhaps you could do a system restore to undo any changes he made?

PStechPaul
09-28-2015, 01:57 AM
It's Obama's fault, of course. A left-wing conspiracy. Doggone liberals! :rolleyes:

Seriously, you might check your firewall options, or your browser's security settings, and look for blocked sites. You could try a different browser. And you might be able to take legal action against the computer tech, especially if he does such work as a legitimate business.

Mike Amick
09-28-2015, 03:30 AM
Just a little more info would help. When you say you can't dl the facebook pics .. do you mean
they show up when you look at your page, but when you try to save them to your computer
it chokes. or are you saying that it is just an empty box while looking at the page ?

mars-red
09-28-2015, 07:44 AM
Some screenshots of what you're seeing when you attempt to view the inaccessible images, would help a lot. You may need to find someone locally to help you out though, remote troubleshooting can be really difficult. You definitely need to find a new computer guy, regardless.

aboard_epsilon
09-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Perhaps;-

At the top on the tool bar in internet explorer.
- click on Tools
- internet options
- advanced
- scroll down to multimedia section
- tick "show pictures"

all the best.markj

GNM109
09-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Never take your computer to a repair man. They usually read through your saved items and then do what this person did to the OP.

CCWKen
09-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Sounds like criminal mischief to me. Call the police and ask. It's a misdemeanor but could scare the IT person into actually fixing the computer.

Old Time
09-29-2015, 11:26 PM
Okay, here's more information, I can view the photos on my daughters Facebook page, but if I try to download the pictures to this computer. After I open my pictures and click save a box appears stating that the file I'm searching for can't be found. One thing I've noticed that has changed it used to be when I right clicked a picture a menu would appear. In it were save picture as and set as desktop background among others. Now it has a short box, that says save image, go to my pictures or properties. I hope this sheds more light for you guys. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old Time

SGW
09-30-2015, 06:44 AM
What browser are you using? If Firefox, look in the upper right-hand corner and see if there is an icon that looks like a gear. If so, click on it and you'll get a Settings screen that includes stuff about saving downloads. No idea if anything there will help, but it's something to look at.