PDA

View Full Version : LED Tube Shop Lights?

pgmrdan
09-29-2015, 02:06 PM
I saw some during my lunch break. I need to replace my $10 fluorescent shop light fixtures that are ancient. These are about $38 for the 2 tube shop lights.

What do you think? Any big negatives?

MTNGUN
09-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Decent LED's are a definite step up from fluorescents in the sense that they require little to no maintenance.

Also your existing fixtures can be converted to LED if you are motivated. I've been converting mine over as the fluorescents fail. I seem to recall that I paid about $9 per tube on the 'bay, that was over a year ago.

duckman
09-29-2015, 05:00 PM
A friend who's in maint. just replaced there t12 lights with square housing LED lights he said the housings are about 2' square, and they are so bright you can't look at them directly, and they are ceiling mounted about 24' up. they only have a small square LED in the middle, with a pyramid shaped reflector.

_Paul_
09-29-2015, 06:11 PM
A friend who's in maint. just replaced there t12 lights with square housing LED lights he said the housings are about 2' square, and they are so bright you can't look at them directly, and they are ceiling mounted about 24' up. they only have a small square LED in the middle, with a pyramid shaped reflector.

I have similar type security lights, what used to be a 500w halogen light has now been replaced with a 20w LED with no loss of light.

Paul

tom in nh
09-29-2015, 07:57 PM
How low of a ceiling height is acceptable with these LED fixtures?
Will it give headaches to people with lighter colored eyes?
Noise issues?
Cold weather issues?

Optics Curmudgeon
09-29-2015, 09:34 PM
I bought a 2-pack and tried them. They were so much better than the fluorescents that I bought 4 more packs and did the whole shop. Had one go bad after a month but the others are holding steady. No mods to the fixtures and no cold start issues, full brightness instantly. The color doesn't bother me, either.

alanganes
09-29-2015, 10:19 PM
I bought a 2-pack and tried them. They were so much better than the fluorescents that I bought 4 more packs and did the whole shop. Had one go bad after a month but the others are holding steady. No mods to the fixtures and no cold start issues, full brightness instantly. The color doesn't bother me, either.

Where did you buy yours from, if I may ask? I have been thinking of doing this as well as I am pretty sick of dealing with the fluorescent tubes, disposal hassles, etc. I'd like to change all of mine, but have quite a few tubes in total. If they are decent I'll just get a few and use them as the tubes fail.

Did you get the "cool white" or "daylight" flavor?

Thanks!

QSIMDO
09-29-2015, 11:28 PM
I just installed two of these and I'm pleased. https://www.earthled.com/products/luceco-led-fluorescent-replacement-tube-4-ft-24-watt-2400-lumens-ballast-bypass-direct-wire?variant=2403570948
Just waiting a bit to see if any smoke escapes before ordering more but they are bright and doing the job.

Optics Curmudgeon
09-30-2015, 12:05 AM
I got them at Costco, and they're the cool white (4100K) version.

Dave C
09-30-2015, 01:57 AM
I replaced the fluorescent light over my work bench with an LED shop light from Sam's Club. I can actually see what I'm doing now. It's completely silent, but had to tilt it slightly to keep it from blinding when looking up at the shelf above the bench.

mars-red
09-30-2015, 07:53 AM
I'll second what everyone else said. I needed a shop light fixture over my lathe, and thought I was going to get a fluorescent one until the LEDs caught my eye. Half the number of bulbs give more than the same light output, and if the published life expectancy is to be believed, they should last me about 25-30 years before needing to be replaced. The light is bright, clear, and easy on the eyes, there are no noises and they don't take time to warm up. I haven't noticed any drawbacks so far.

10KPete
09-30-2015, 09:11 AM
So, it seems we're talking about two things here; LED bulbs that directly replace T12 tubes, and LED specific fixtures?
If direct tube replacements, are changes needed to the fixture? Like removing the ballast? Or do these tube just go in?
I have the same issues with the tubes; constantly changing, low temps, etc. and would love to go LED for the big
lights. Already have LED task lights on tools.

Thanks,
Pete

pgmrdan
09-30-2015, 09:27 AM
So, it seems we're talking about two things here; LED bulbs that directly replace T12 tubes, and LED specific fixtures?
If direct tube replacements, are changes needed to the fixture? Like removing the ballast? Or do these tube just go in?
I have the same issues with the tubes; constantly changing, low temps, etc. and would love to go LED for the big
lights. Already have LED task lights on tools.

Thanks,
Pete

The ones I'm looking at are also at COSTCO. They have the LED fixtures with tubes and they have LED replacements for fluorescent tubes. The replacements don't require changes to the fluorescent fixtures according to the box.

The box says the LED tubes have a life expectancy of 50 years. I'd be happy with half that.

COSTCO has one fixture plugged in to try. Looked good. Pull chain switch.

gronk
09-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Not really a shop issue, but is there a UV problem with the LED tubes?

Gronk

Optics Curmudgeon
09-30-2015, 11:33 AM
One issue I noticed is that, although the bulb are compatible with existing fluorescent fixtures, some fixtures will not work with only one bulb in them. Two bulbs in a 4 foot fixture is a bit bright, but not a big problem for the ones up on the ceiling. Over the bench and machines it was too bright. I had a mix of fixtures and managed to get everything worked out. As for UV, it will probably be much the same as it was with the old fluorescent bulbs.

Ed ke6bnl
09-30-2015, 11:37 AM
I'll second what everyone else said. I needed a shop light fixture over my lathe, and thought I was going to get a fluorescent one until the LEDs caught my eye. Half the number of bulbs give more than the same light output, and if the published life expectancy is to be believed, they should last me about 25-30 years before needing to be replaced. The light is bright, clear, and easy on the eyes, there are no noises and they don't take time to warm up. I haven't noticed any drawbacks so far.

I did the same one over the lathe and one over the mill, no more flickering and my shop is in a cargo container with a 8ft.4" ceiling and the light out put is great. will need a little more direct light on the mill table though

MTNGUN
09-30-2015, 11:55 AM
lights.
You can get led tubes to replace your T12's, and that's how I did it. Most of them require removing the ballast and changing the wiring.

Alternatively you can get LED tube fixtures.

macona
09-30-2015, 12:00 PM
One issue I noticed is that, although the bulb are compatible with existing fluorescent fixtures, some fixtures will not work with only one bulb in them. Two bulbs in a 4 foot fixture is a bit bright, but not a big problem for the ones up on the ceiling. Over the bench and machines it was too bright. I had a mix of fixtures and managed to get everything worked out. As for UV, it will probably be much the same as it was with the old fluorescent bulbs.

LEDs use blue light to activate the phosphor so there is no UV.

Dave C
09-30-2015, 12:29 PM
These are the ones I bought: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led-shoplight-shoplight-led/prod16460030.ip They have two strips of LEDs, and I wish there was a way to run the strips individually. Do any of you electronics gurus have any ideas?

lakeside53
09-30-2015, 12:31 PM
"Rewiring a fixture" (if required) is trivial- pop of the cover (maybe 2 screws) chop the wires to the ballast (leave it behind to take it out - your choice), join the 120v wires to the tombstones directly (follow the directions!). Some older shunted tombstones need to be replaced (dirt cheap).

Home Depot here has the "tube replacement" bulbs - those you have the working ballast in operation.

lakeside53
09-30-2015, 12:34 PM
These are the ones I bought: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led-shoplight-shoplight-led/prod16460030.ip They have two strips of LEDs, and I wish there was a way to run the strips individually. Do any of you electronics gurus have any ideas?

If your fixture is dimable, add a dimmer. If the strips are truly in parallel and each contains their own driver, add a pull chain switch if you want one bank or both.

Dave C
09-30-2015, 03:32 PM
If your fixture is dimable, add a dimmer. If the strips are truly in parallel and each contains their own driver, add a pull chain switch if you want one bank or both.
Don't know if dimmable, or in parallel. How does one find out. The brand name is Lights of America, but clicking on their web address gets a 404 error.

lakeside53
09-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Lights of America is just an importer. If you can take one tube out (are they even separate tubes with tombstones?) and it works, then you can put a switch in line with the power to just one.

gzig5
10-01-2015, 11:04 AM

Fashion a shade out of some opaque plastic. The hardware store should have the panels for fixtures in a hung ceiling or you might find it at a decent craft store.

matridium
10-01-2015, 11:24 AM
I replaced all my tubes in my shop with single 75W LED lights. I went from 560 Watts to just about 120 watts. I took down 14 40wat tubes and fixtures. And now have 10 75 watt bulbs.

I love them, I got them from Amazon, 55.00 for a box of 10. and the porcelain screw in bases cost me 11.99 for all 10. My total for converting over was 66.99 and about 2 hours of my time to change everything out.