PDA

View Full Version : OT - auto brake rotors preloaded with bearing race?

aribert
10-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Greetings all:

Last time I bought a replacement brake rotor for my pickup, the brake rotor had the bearing race preinstalled. I knocked it out and reused my existing bearing race (was low mileage on the bearing). I was taught that one does not mix bearing components. Plus I am leery of the quality a Chinese bearing race. I tend to buy bearings based on brand (such as TImken, Bower/BCA, SKF, Koyo, Fafnir). Do most rotors now come with the bearing race? Do you use as is? If so, have you experienced good bearing life?

A.K. Boomer
10-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Wow sounds like a front rotor off of a rear wheel drive vehicle and can't remember when I last done one of those - maybe a two wheel drive truck I guess and don't recall the rotor coming with a race,

that is kinda a strange situation and I think I would have done what you did also as I use bearings as sets...

I do not think Timken is a guarantee against it not being china, SKF and Koyo are more likely to be better in that department or at least that's what my experience has been...

strokersix
10-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Brake lathes register from the bearing cup. It is my understanding that the final truing of the friction surface is done while supported by the bearing races. Probably not economical and certainly unwise to remove the bearing races after machining. Also, the service industry would certainly appreciate the timesaver of not having to drive in the races... My thought anyway.

That said, I might just drive the new race out and install matched components on my own vehicle.

wierdscience
10-02-2015, 11:09 AM
It just doesn't matter,tapered roller bearings aren't too finicky,that's one reason they last so long.I have ran both the pre-installed ones and bare rotors with my own bearings installed,never had a problem with any of them.Lubrication and proper preload are more important.

Also just because you get a Timken,SKF etc. brand,that doesn't necessarily mean it's not Chinese.Some setup their own plants in China and some just buy from a vendor who packages and ships their label.

lakeside53
10-02-2015, 11:35 AM
I buy Timkin, SKF and a host of other brands, but I really don't care where they are made. They are made to their respective brands QA/QC. I do have favorites (Koyo and NTN).

aribert
10-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Thank you all for the responses and yes, a RWD pickup.

To clarify, I'm a bit more concerned about no name bearings (frequently made in China) than I am about a name brand bearing made in China. I am leery of the low cost auto parts store's house brand of wheel bearings. My experience w/ Timken automotive bearings is frequently they are made by some other bearing manufacture but typically a name that I recognize.

weirdsicence: thanks for the feed back. I'm about to replace rotors and if they come w/ bearing races, I might leave the preinstalled race in place this time.

gambler
10-02-2015, 01:17 PM
do check that the races are seated in the hub, I've seen some that weren't

George Seal
10-02-2015, 02:29 PM
if they were a matched set then why do they come in two different boxes

winchman
10-02-2015, 03:31 PM
I think I'd worry more about the quality of the brake rotor than the bearing race.

Regardless, check the runout of the brake rotors (preferably both sides of each one) on the vehicle before installing the caliper and pads. If the preinstalled races weren't true or not fully seated, the rotors will probably wobble with new ones of better quality.

A.K. Boomer
10-02-2015, 11:39 PM
have to admit one of the most dependable car parts --- on most all what I work on they are a sealed front cartridge bearing so you do not mess with them till they start barking at you,

and the rear "coaster" bearings that just get dragged along for the ride yet are re-packable? not worth the labor effort to do even every 100,000 miles - just run them till they start barking at you and then replace them, at around 350 to 500,000 miles... way cheaper than trying to maintain and such a slow death you could take multiple cross country trips before they totally fail... no worries unless your like the kid I knew who just bought a better louder stereo system to cover up the noise for a whole two years,,, not he almost pushed it too far... in fact think I did have to replace his spindle... oops

Illinoyance
10-03-2015, 05:06 PM
A given Timken cone can be used with several cups. Similarly, a given cup can be matched with several different cones. That gives a wide range of shaft & housing diameters. I suppose other manufacturers have similar practices. Timken cups and cones are always packaged separately. I don't know cones from one manufacturer will mate properly with cups from another. Does anyone have more information on that issue?

Mike Nash
10-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Well actually, I have bought a number of sets of Timkens for our Chevy Astro RWD vehicles, cups and cones and rollers all in one box. I have replaced rotors also, sometimes using the cup that came in the rotor and sometimes replacing it. (Timken 20427512)