PDA

View Full Version : Gloat: $10 Adjustable Wrench

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-02-2015, 08:54 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/28qsnpx.jpg

I honestly have no idea what I am going to do with it... other than make a bunch of "let me show you my enormous tool" jokes. That alone is worth the $10 I spent on it.

Think I might take it to work to establish pecking order, or maybe just mount it on my wall over the sofa.

Ironwoodsmith
10-02-2015, 09:04 PM
You have a great tool by golly. So just how does that adjust and what is the largest nut it will crack?

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-02-2015, 09:12 PM
I think you remove that bolt on the end with a smaller much less impressive wrench and slide the jaw over.

And honestly I think I busted a nut just lugging it up the stairs.

Yow Ling
10-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Can it do metric ? Then you could use it to fit new jets to carbs

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-02-2015, 09:45 PM
What kind of jet are we talking about? 747? Some kind of Airbus product?

Toolguy
10-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Now you can tell everyone "THIS is a Left Handed Spud Wrench!";)

lakeside53
10-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Now you just need a bigger phone.

Duffy
10-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Either your photo colour is crazy, or that is a non-sparking tool; i.e. made of berylium (sp?) bronze. THAT would make it heavy!

outlawspeeder
10-02-2015, 11:08 PM
Looks like a good reason to get a bigger tool box. Do they make them that big?

spongerich
10-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Looks like you're all set if you want to get into watchmaking.

rythmnbls
10-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Its too big for watchmaking, looks about the right size for adjusting hearing aids, left ear pieces only ;)

J Tiers
10-02-2015, 11:49 PM
Hey, they can razz you all they want.

I bought a big wrench like that a while back as well. I think the handle may be shorter, but it opens at least 3" IIRC. Solves part of the problem of not having a lot of big sockets for the 3/4" socket wrench. Only real issue is the head is so big that many places it will not fit. Good for tractor repairs though, when some oddball big nut needs removed and there is clearance, also fits big valve bonnets well.

A.K. Boomer
10-02-2015, 11:53 PM
make a nice key chain holder - don't own a chevy do you?

fastfire
10-03-2015, 01:11 AM
It's a self defense tool!

malbenbut
10-03-2015, 05:18 AM
This could be the start of show me your tool thread, Tom Thumbs need not show.

MBB

Daveb
10-03-2015, 07:09 AM
Either your photo colour is crazy, or that is a non-sparking tool; i.e. made of berylium (sp?) bronze. THAT would make it heavy!

I have a couple of bronze spanners, an old fellow told me they were used on mines, I assumed he meant magnetic mines, I later learned that non sparking tools were mandatory for coal mines. I suppose they would do for both. Heavy though.
Dave

alanganes
10-03-2015, 08:10 AM
I have a couple of bronze spanners, an old fellow told me they were used on mines, I assumed he meant magnetic mines, I later learned that non sparking tools were mandatory for coal mines. I suppose they would do for both. Heavy though.
Dave

In my job I sometimes work in close proximity to a very large and powerful electromagnet. We use those same type of tools but for their non-magnetic properties.

http://www.ampcosafetytools.com/

vpt
10-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Good size for some hex plumbing fittings. Also a good size hammer!

Lew Hartswick
10-03-2015, 08:31 AM
In my job I sometimes work in close proximity to a very large and powerful electromagnet. We use those same type of tools but for their non-magnetic properties.

:-) Superconducting NMR :-) A few years working with them.
...lew...

Richard P Wilson
10-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Dave

Use them anywhere where there could be an inflammable atmosphere, coal mines, refineries, oil tankers, flour mills, confined spaces in sewage works, munitions factories and stores etc etc.
So, from the photo, this 'giant tool' can only be set to a limited number of sizes pre determined by where the locking bolt holes are, is that right? If so, the old joke about is 'is that a metric or imperial adjustable spanner?' might not actually be a joke in this case?

In the far off days when I did some part time taxi driving, we used to keep something similar under the driving seat in case of troublesome customers.

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-03-2015, 09:15 AM
I believe it is steel, the lighting in the bedroom is a bit off because of the mix of lightbulbs we use.

Wrench is stamped with 4 3/4 inch Capacity, so that answers the inch/metric question.

alanganes
10-03-2015, 09:48 AM
:-) Superconducting NMR :-) A few years working with them.
...lew...

Same idea but larger, superconducting magnet for a cyclotron for proton cancer therapy. 10T field (!) at the center of the magnet. The pull it can exert on even a small ferrous object is pretty startling.

J Tiers
10-03-2015, 11:04 AM
I missed the bolt hole adjustment in the pic.... the one I have is a regular crescent type with infinite adjustment.

SteveF
10-03-2015, 11:33 AM
I've got one not much smaller. Very handy for taking the trailer hitch off a bumper.

Steve

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-03-2015, 09:13 PM
I missed the bolt hole adjustment in the pic.... the one I have is a regular crescent type with infinite adjustment.

I may actually have a use for it at work after all. I was looking at it, seems I can adjust it small enough to "assist" with nozzle removal and screw-and-barrel repair.

Spin Doctor
10-03-2015, 09:18 PM
To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee "You call that a wrench, now this is a wrench"

flylo
10-03-2015, 09:20 PM
It's a Left Handed Spud Wrench!

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-03-2015, 09:21 PM
It doesn't have the right sort of handle to qualify as a spud-wrench, sadly.

flylo
10-03-2015, 09:28 PM
I know & it's not left handed either. How about a Left Handed Dud Wrench?

partsproduction
10-04-2015, 06:30 AM
Can we get a close up of the head so we can see the adjustment method please?

larry_g
10-10-2015, 10:40 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/28qsnpx.jpg

I honestly have no idea what I am going to do with it... other than make a bunch of "let me show you my enormous tool" jokes. That alone is worth the $10 I spent on it.

Think I might take it to work to establish pecking order, or maybe just mount it on my wall over the sofa.

Does the adjustable jaw have more than one hole? If the adjustable has more than one hole are they on a different pitch than the handle there fore giving the wrench a vernier function and many more than 7 set positions.

lg
no neat sig line