PDA

View Full Version : Are there any members near the Indianapolis area familiar with "Servo Power Feed"

hephaestus
10-04-2015, 12:31 AM
I'm having terrible trouble trying to figure out what's wrong. If I turn the X axis handle C.C.W. it seems smooth but when I try and turn it C.W. it sounds like the teeth are skipping across each other.

It will operate in power mode and it doesn't sound too bad.

The collars that snug up against the dials keep loosening up and throwing everything out of adjustment just when I think I've got it.

I got some new shims and installed some but it really didn't seem to help much. I'm not sure if something is missing and causing the problem or what.

I am a little curious as to whether or not the power feed is disengaging correctly also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

macona
10-04-2015, 02:53 AM
Might be a stripped gear internally.

Seastar
10-04-2015, 02:33 PM
I am in Indianapolis but haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about.
Can you give us some more information?
What kind of machine?
Bill

hephaestus
10-04-2015, 04:33 PM
I am in Indianapolis but haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about.
Can you give us some more information?
What kind of machine?
Bill
Are you a machine repairman or do you
have experience installing power feeds ?
I would be more than happy to send
you my phone number if you have time
to talk about it ?

Rosco-P
10-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Help us, help you.

This is an aftermarket milling machine powerfeed? Yes?
Made by?
Looks like?? Post a link to the manufacturer's or seller's page or an image of the unit.

alanganes
10-04-2015, 07:23 PM
I am guessing that this is the sort of "servo power feed" that the OP is referring to:

http://servoproductsco.com/html/power_feeds.html

hephaestus
10-04-2015, 07:32 PM
It's aftermarket, yes.

Brand name is "Servo" as I stated in the Title.

Model 150

Rosco-P
10-04-2015, 08:24 PM
It's aftermarket, yes.

Brand name is "Servo" as I stated in the Title.

Model 150

Servo is a "thing": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servo Wasn't obvious to me (or anyone?) that your table powerfeed was made by a company called "Servo". Could have just cut to the chase by posting all the needed information from the get-go.

Is this a new unit? Why not contact the manufacturer directly?

v860rich
10-04-2015, 08:36 PM
There are so few problems with this brand of feed that no one ever gets a real good grip on troubleshooting the things.
Like was stated above I would call Servo or some place that sells Servo power feeds.
Servo is for sure a good brand and I'd think they would be glad to help.

THANX RICH

alanganes
10-04-2015, 09:13 PM
A place I worked at a number of years ago had a bunch of these. I've had them apart many times to service and repair them as we did that in-house.

When the feed lever is on the center "off" position, the motor is disengaged from the table drive. There is a dog clutch in there that does this. If that is not disengaged, it will be very difficult to backdrive the motor due to the large gear reduction.

When driving in either direction, the same set of gears is used to drive the table, the motor just reverses direction. There is a large plastic helical gear under the round cover at the bottom of the unit. That is likely what you hear slipping/grinding. A link to an assembly/blowup drawing is here:

Link to Servo website (http://www.servoproductsco.com/specs/150_6293_full.pdf)

Note that there is a bunch of electronics and mechanical stuff packed into a very small space in those units. They are a bit tricky to get apart and reassemble, but nothing someone of the skill level typically found around here cannot handle. My only advice would be to say that when everything is correctly assembled, it will go together very easily without forcing anything. That, and beware of pinching wires!

In my experience, the regional rep (Cal-Metrics here in the NE) was most helpful and any and all parts were easily available.

EDIT: That round cover over the helical gear just snaps on. You can just pop it off to inspect the gear. It's the easy place to start, and is a common wear part.

And I agree with the post above, these are excellent units and very reliable in normal use. Where I worked, they were used on customized machines and saw service that was not typical for a milling machine. So they tended to wear more than one would typically see. As they were modified for our use there, we rebuilt them rather than replace them.

MichaelP
10-04-2015, 09:49 PM
If your drive is similar to z-axis Servo Dynamo, take a look at this thread: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/66100-Servo-Dynamo-Z-axis-power-feed-installation-on-Bridgeport?highlight=servo

You can start with post#3
(http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/66100-Servo-Dynamo-Z-axis-power-feed-installation-on-Bridgeport?highlight=servo)

Daveb
10-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Check that the handle nut at the opposite end of the table has not loosened, this will affect the mesh of the two top gears in one direction.
Dave

wierdscience
10-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Yes,what Dave said,if the drive gear clearance changes with table direction,then the table lead screw is shifting.End play is adjusted out with shims.