PDA

View Full Version : clausing 5914 cross slide gib ?

Axkiker
10-06-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm having trouble with the gibs on my cross slide. I have noticed when facing that I can see the cross slide is slightly being picked up where the adjustment screw meets the gib in the front. This doesn't happen with general turning as the angle of the bit isnt in a position to cause this.

I have adjusted the gibs and have most of it out. I however still get some when facing. Is there a document / video out there that gives specifics for adjusting gibs. My last lathe had adjustment screws on the side where you could adjust the tension. This lathe is only forward and back.

I guess it could simply be wear but I really didn't see enough to cause the result i'm getting.

Any ideas???

oxford
10-06-2015, 08:41 PM
It could be wear, it uses a tapered gib so it only needs the front and back screw. I would have to look but I think that the manual has some info on gib adjustment. If you don't have one, give Clausing a call and they will email it to you.

Fwiw, I know my 5914 has wear in it and I have play in I think the cross slide and compound. I can't remember but I think I have the gibs adjusted as tight as it can go.

Axkiker
10-06-2015, 09:20 PM
It could be wear, it uses a tapered gib so it only needs the front and back screw. I would have to look but I think that the manual has some info on gib adjustment. If you don't have one, give Clausing a call and they will email it to you.

Fwiw, I know my 5914 has wear in it and I have play in I think the cross slide and compound. I can't remember but I think I have the gibs adjusted as tight as it can go.

I do have a manual but cant remember it saying anything about setting the gibs. Ill go back and check.

This maybe a dumb question but I assume you cant put the gibs in backwards can you. Do you know if its tapered front to back or back to front. This is completely different from my old rockwell so i'm learning as I go.

JoeLee
10-06-2015, 09:59 PM
I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about adjusting the gibb. You can't put it in backwards because the gibb is designed with a compound taper, the narrower and thinner end is inserted first. If you have the rear screw backed out and the front one (operator side of the machine) seated as far in as it can go then you have substantial wear or someone may have cut the gibb a little short on the larger end. You should be able to seat it until the cross slide is snug. You have to back the rear screw out as you tighten or turn in the front one. I have known people that have put a small piece of led behind the screw head to seat the gibb further if you run out of threads.

JL............

oxford
10-07-2015, 12:39 PM
I could be wrong about the manual.

Axkiker
10-07-2015, 12:48 PM
I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about adjusting the gibb. You can't put it in backwards because the gibb is designed with a compound taper, the narrower and thinner end is inserted first. If you have the rear screw backed out and the front one (operator side of the machine) seated as far in as it can go then you have substantial wear or someone may have cut the gibb a little short on the larger end. You should be able to seat it until the cross slide is snug. You have to back the rear screw out as you tighten or turn in the front one. I have known people that have put a small piece of led behind the screw head to seat the gibb further if you run out of threads.

JL............

Well I dont have any adjustments maxed out yet so I dont think its excessive wear. It seems like when I get it to where I have no play it seems too stiff. I really dont want excessive pressure on the gibs as I would like to minimize the wear if possible.

I guess ill play around with it some more tonight.

aribert
10-09-2015, 08:07 AM
As a previous poster mentioned they are tapered and adjusted with the two screws on each end. Unless its my 5914 were someone put in a non-tapered gib and drilled and tapped a couple of holes for set screws to press against the gib to take out the excess play to the mating portion of the cross-slide. Recently I added two additional tapped holes for set screws to better distribute the pressure on the gib.

JoeLee
10-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Well I dont have any adjustments maxed out yet so I dont think its excessive wear. It seems like when I get it to where I have no play it seems too stiff. I really dont want excessive pressure on the gibs as I would like to minimize the wear if possible.

I guess ill play around with it some more tonight.It can be a touchy adjustment........... but you should be able to get a firm movement of the slide. I've set a few of these in the past including my own machine. You have to play around a little with it. This adjustment may involve tightening the front screw and slightly loosening the rear, playing around back and forth a few times. Juet make sure that your not bottoming out the front screw (pushing side of gibb)

JL.............