PDA

View Full Version : Will kerosene melt a plastic bucket?

pgmrdan
10-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Just bought a Lowe's blue plastic bucket and lid and 3 gallons of kerosene.

Gonna put 3 gallons of dirty kerosene used in a parts cleaner into the bucket with the lid on and set it outside to let the particles settle out. I'll put the new kerosene in the parts cleaner. Should the bucket hold up okay?

EddyCurr
10-09-2015, 02:10 PM
What kind of plastic is the bucket made with ?

Paul Alciatore
10-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Chances are it will be OK, but it does depend on the type of plastic. The only way you will know for sure is to try it. I would put an inch or so of the kerosene in the bottom of the bucket and come back in a couple of hours.

I once tried to soak a small part in some solvent (can't remember which) in one of those small, white plastic drinking cups. I came back in an hour or two and the solvent and the bottom half of the cup were spread in a thin layer across the workbench. Other solvents, like alcohol and freon TF worked just fine in those cups.

Willy
10-09-2015, 02:48 PM
It all depends on the actual plastic but I would suspect it to be safe.
Around here most petroleum products like lubricating oils, solvents, and kerosene have come in plastic pails, jugs, and drums for at least 30 years.

pgmrdan
10-09-2015, 03:16 PM
I'm careful/paranoid about such things. I once put gasoline in a plastic pan to clean some parts and the pan melted before my eyes. Fortunately the pan was out in the driveway.

Thanks guys.

awemawson
10-09-2015, 04:32 PM
I drained 2 gallons of hydraulic oil into a plastic bucket when I was doing work on my excavator and left it in the cab on the floor for a couple of days. It had softened and penetrated and was starting to leak out.

Kerosene and hydraulic oil are both hydrocarbons. The oil comes in 25 litre MDPE drums so the bucket must be something else !

old mart
10-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Have a look underneath the bucket, nowadays the type of material is marked for recycling purposes. Then google code to find out more. HDPP and HDPE should be ok.

brian Rupnow
10-09-2015, 06:34 PM
I have never heard of kerosene melting anything,---But try it and see. I KNOW that paint thinners will dissolve a plastic yogurt container---messy---very messy---

MichaelP
10-09-2015, 06:54 PM
Yah, it would be interesting to know if anyone can name ANY plastic that can be dissolved by kerosene. I cannot.

H380
10-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Lowes buckets are HDPE. I have an old paint bucket lid on one. I put my old motor oil, dirty mineral spirits and dirty parts washing diesel. I give it to a local farmer for his tractor shed heater.

flylo
10-09-2015, 07:09 PM
If you light it, it might:rolleyes:

brian Rupnow
10-09-2015, 07:18 PM
I grew up in the era of "coal oil" (kerosene) lamps---(Hydro electric didn't run to my part of Canada until 1953.) People kept coal oil in every kind of container imaginable. I know of one instance where some was stored in a gin bottle. Big party, lots of liquor, and a kid drank half the bottle in one long gulp before he realized what it was. That made for a quick trip to the nearest town where they had a Red Cross hospital and a stomach pump. No long lasting after effects, but that was 50 years ago and that guy has smelled the top of every bottle he's drank out of since.

Black_Moons
10-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Kerosene is very safe on plastics. So are motor oils and most greases (Uncontaminated with gasoline).

Gasoline is VERY hard on plastics.
Laqure thinner/paint thinner is often extremely hard on plastics.

The better it cleans, the better it dissolves plastics.

Paul Alciatore
10-10-2015, 03:26 AM
You are aware that there are tens of thousands of different plastics. Perhaps hundreds of thousands by now.

Yah, it would be interesting to know if anyone can name ANY plastic that can be dissolved by kerosene. I cannot.

Rosco-P
10-10-2015, 11:03 AM

You are aware that there are tens of thousands of different plastics. Perhaps hundreds of thousands by now.

http://www.calpaclab.com/chemical-compatibility-charts/

You could just buy a container made for storage of Kerosene, the blue ones, but where's the fun in that?

MichaelP
10-10-2015, 11:11 AM
http://www.calpaclab.com/chemical-compatibility-charts/

Excellent info. Thank you.

To resume: "Kerosene---- LDPE / HDPE at 20C show some effect after 7 days. LDPE / HDPE not recommended at 50C, as immediate damage may occur".

Rosco-P
10-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Typical cheap bucket/paint pail: http://www.letica.com/images/spec_sheets/575.pdf
Many others: http://www.letica.com/catalog/category/35-Round

pgmrdan
10-10-2015, 10:33 PM
You could just buy a container made for storage of Kerosene, the blue ones, but where's the fun in that?

True but it's a bit of a tight fit to slide the lathe bed down the spout. :D

I'm cleaning up a project with kerosene and hoping there's a lathe inside all that gummy crap covering it.

Rosco-P
10-11-2015, 08:42 AM
True but it's a bit of a tight fit to slide the lathe bed down the spout. :D

I'm cleaning up a project with kerosene and hoping there's a lathe inside all that gummy crap covering it.

If it's that dirty and the lathe is already stripped, I'd probably go the degreaser and pressure washer route followed by an oily rag wipe down. Why waste two three gals of Kero and you probably can soak the entire bed at one unless you make a custom poly/wood trough.

radkins
10-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Well I can answer this one, Yes you most certainly can store Kerosene in a Lowes bucket, I have a supply of Kerosene stored in two of those very buckets and it has been in one of them for two years with no problem.

pgmrdan
10-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Well I can answer this one, Yes you most certainly can store Kerosene in a Lowes bucket, I have a supply of Kerosene stored in two of those very buckets and it has been in one of them for two years with no problem.

Good timing because I'm starting to work on that today.

gvasale
10-11-2015, 04:21 PM
Keep the buckets out of the sun. Sunlight rots most plastics. And those buckets also become brittle with age as they off-gas.