X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darrp
    • Jan 2005

OT- Found a site that lists counterfeit items

It’s sad the way things are going, I can’t believe all the things that are counterfeit nowadays.

I was looking to buy a Streamlight light on eBay and I thought I would do a search to make sure I didn’t buy a knock-off. This sight popped up in the search. Turns out that it could be a knock-off, so I wrote the guy for the S/N then I can check with Streamlight to see if the S/N is legit.

Counterfeit Product Alerts - Don’t be fooled by fake or counterfeit products and medications. Check The Counterfeit Report before you buy.

This site lists everything from--- Vodka to "Tide" laundry detergent... Del Monte canned corn to smoke alarms... Tires to guitars!

The good news is I couldn’t find any machinist related items on the site.
  • bborr01
    • Jul 2007

Very first listing is a SKF bearing. That might be considered "machinist related items".

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• Left Handed Spud Wrench
      • Jun 2015

Square-D breakers... manufactured by Consolidated Conglomerates.

And wouldn't you know it many of those defects listed are actually problems we delt with daily on our production lines.

Fascinating.

Especially considering I was told by managment "the Asians don't know how to mold BMC at all they don't have the technology." Which is a lie...

Ah well... too much to think about and really there is no point. It's Beer O'clock, it is Saturday, and the workshop calls to me.
      This is the ending.... still your need is driven on (driven on) as we trigger one more bomb...

Comment

• Rosco-P
        • Mar 2012

Lots of phony fire sprinkler heads. Had heard about the counterfeit Square D breakers before.

And this: https://thecounterfeitreport.com/pro...op-Lights.html really no surprise there.

Comment

• CCWKen
          • Jan 2003

Good tip. I don't even buy off Ebay any more. If Amazon doesn't have it, I order it from a supplier I know even if it does cost more. I'm fed up with Ebay. Didn't some Chinese company buy controlling shares? They must have. Seems everything is shipped from China now.

Comment

• loose nut
            • Sep 2006

To stop getting counterfeit goods the company I used to work for had a suppliers list, companies that materials/parts etc could be purchased from that sourced same from the proper manufacturer's. You couldn't buy from anyone that wasn't on the list.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• loose nut
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
              Good tip. I don't even buy off Ebay any more. If Amazon doesn't have it, I order it from a supplier I know even if it does cost more. I'm fed up with Ebay. Didn't some Chinese company buy controlling shares? They must have. Seems everything is shipped from China now.
              Do you think that the stuff you get from Amazon is all legit. Many of the listed counterfeit goods say they are commonly available on Alibaba and Amazon. Better off making it ourselves.
              Last edited by loose nut; 10-10-2015, 03:58 PM.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• old mart
                • May 2015

I have bought items from ebay which have arrived delivered from Amazon, many firms sell their goods through multiple outlets.

Comment

• Darrp
                  • Jan 2005

On the first page it has a chart-

Counterfeit Complaints:

eBay 43%

Alibaba/AliExpress 12%

Amazon 7%

Facebook 3%

All Other Websites 20%

Retail Stores 6%

Comment

• Daveb
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                    To stop getting counterfeit goods the company I used to work for had a suppliers list, companies that materials/parts etc could be purchased from that sourced same from the proper manufacturer's. You couldn't buy from anyone that wasn't on the list.
                    The company I worked for had an approved suppliers list (a requirement of ISO9000), we still got counterfeit rubbish occasionally. We solved the problem by billing the suppliers for our time and expenses. 200 counterfeit bulbs cost a few dollars each but when you add the labour involved this soon became 3 or 4 thousand dollars. The worst stuff was copper cable which turned out to be copper coated steel, it was expensive to change it out. The suppliers paid up and we didn't get anymore rubbish from them.

Comment

• SteveF
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Left Handed Spud Wrench View Post
                      Square-D breakers... manufactured by Consolidated Conglomerates.

The worst part of the Square D breakers was someone figured out a way to make them even cheaper. Think large On-Off switch.

Steve

Comment

• boslab
                        • Dec 2007

Worryingly pharmaceuticals are a target, I had a batch of heart meds that turned out to be fake, the chemist pharmacy took them all back, you would not be able to tell by looking, the health service is being very secretive about how much of the stuff is about, some have even said they are the ones supplying phony meds
                        Mark

Comment

• Left Handed Spud Wrench
                          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                          The worst part of the Square D breakers was someone figured out a way to make them even cheaper. Think large On-Off switch.

Steve
                          I worked there for awhile, we were told over and over and over again we did not have manufacturing capabilities in Asia nor have we ever bought a tool from Asia (molding department.)

All our work was toilet-sourced to MEXICO -- the Mexicans were to blame for all our woes.

Then I read that S-E made a huge investment in Asia right around the time they cut our already pitiful capital improvement budget by 70%.

But these counterfits predate all of that.

Traditionally the path is "company has tooling built overseas, overseas tooling maker builds a copy for themselves and produces counterfit product." Somewhere somehow I'm not getting the whole picture and honestly... I don't care at this point because I quit that hell-hole for something far better.

Just amusing to see that the counterfitters were having the same quality defects that were vexing our division. Makes me chuckle. And speculate.
                          This is the ending.... still your need is driven on (driven on) as we trigger one more bomb...

Comment

• Spin Doctor
                            • Nov 2002

Remember the Bridgeport copies with the same as casting flaw as the sorce copy. What about the B-29 copies Stalin had Tupolev build after WWII. This craphas been going on a long time as far as copies go. Some countries/societies have no respect for patents, propriatory products/processes or intellectual property. And to tell you the truth it would not surprise me if major retailers are in on it.
                            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

• flylo
                              • Apr 2011

I agree, anyway to make $$$$$. Ithink weshould cut ties with china as chins-india & russia have a military agreement. They don't like us, sell junk, our economy is in trouble & it would be hard but we could do it just as we did in WWII which pulled us out of the depression. Forget china, we don't need them.

Comment

Working...
                              X