PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Noob question - Tangential Toolholders?

DICKEYBIRD
06-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Yup, I'm a lathe newbie so be patient please. A friend loaned me a stack of his HSM mags and I'm soaking up as much of them as I can and also reading you guys' great stuff on the forum. Some of it I "get"; some I'm still trying to get my head around. Like tangential toolholders....can someone explain, in newbie terms, what the term means and what is the advantage of using one?

John Stevenson
06-25-2004, 09:57 AM
They were invented for the use of IBEW.
You see when he see's something else shiny he goes off at a tangent.

John S.

Herb W
06-25-2004, 10:28 AM
What John said...and also, look here
http://www.bay-com.com/browse.cfm?catID=10

Note how the bit is held tangent to the work.

BTW I have a reprint of a book from the late 1800's that shows a picture of basically the same thing.

[This message has been edited by Herb W (edited 06-25-2004).]

firbikrhd1
06-25-2004, 11:54 PM
I don't know of any disadvantages, but I find the following to be great advantages.

1)Sharpening is extremely fast when using the sharpening fixture provided with the one sold by Bay Com. Very simple too.

2) Very little material is removed to get a keen edge, the tool steel lasts longer.

3)By changing the angle at which the tool holder addresses the work, roughing, finish turning and facing can all be done with one tool.

4)Adjustment of the tool height is done by moving the bit up and down in the tool holder. This makes adjustment easy and allows a solid ring to be used in place of a rocker type tool post yeilding greater rigidity of the tool.

Rich Carlstedt
06-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Lots of Advantages..good unit

Herb...I saw a write up on it in a 1897 American Machinist Reprint