PDA

View Full Version : The Black Hat Engineer's Guide To Additive Manufacturing Troubleshooting

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Universal Troubleshooting Guide For All 3D Printers:

1) If it moves and it shouldn't you want to use duct-tape or Krazy Glue. If that don't work, STICK-weld it.

2) If it doesn't move and it should, hit it with a hammer after applying WD-40. If that doesn't work, hit it again until it starts moving.

3) If you keep hitting it with the hammer and it still doesn't move you got yourself an electrical problem.

4) When confronted with a troubleshooting dilemma and one of the solutions is "increase the voltage/amps/rpm/pressure/speed/power level" the answer is always "YES." There are few problems that cannot be solved by an exponential increase in power. I learned this trick at the Ukraine Technical University Department Of Nuclear Sciences And Reactor Training Licensing Division.

5) If you are half-way through an enormous and expensive print job for a customer and realize you are running the wrong material follow these easy steps:

A) Carefully edit the BOM to match the material and color you are running.

B) Learn a foreign accent so when the customer calls to complain you can pretend you do not understand.

I hope this guide helps you improve your 3D printing business. Tune in tomorrow and I will teach you how to convert picric acid into a fun and exciting new polymer using your Filistruder All-Metal Benchtop Filament Machine. Be sure to wear your goggles and safety-shoes!

Seastar
10-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Funny, Funny!

boslab
10-20-2015, 07:07 PM
You really don't want to play with picric, especially if it's dried out, I had and old lab to clear, it had been disused and locked since the 60s, when I opened the door to the glass store I found on the floor 5 or 6 large earthenware jars, about 5 kg in each, looked like sulphur, turned one round and there she blows, a big label, picric acid!
They used it to etch met samples apparently, we had to get the bomb disposal team from the army to remove it, they took it to the slag heap and blew it up with plastic explosive, there was a bloody crater about 5' deep where it blew, very nasty
Mark

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-20-2015, 07:50 PM
You really don't want to play with picric, especially if it's dried out, I had and old lab to clear, it had been disused and locked since the 60s, when I opened the door to the glass store I found on the floor 5 or 6 large earthenware jars, about 5 kg in each, looked like sulphur, turned one round and there she blows, a big label, picric acid!
They used it to etch met samples apparently, we had to get the bomb disposal team from the army to remove it, they took it to the slag heap and blew it up with plastic explosive, there was a bloody crater about 5' deep where it blew, very nasty
Mark

I played with it in the lab in College, I know how dangerous it is. Also did some reading on the Halifax Explosion, that was mostly PA from what I recall.

The gag is the "all metal extruder" part -- as I recall contact with any sort of metal causes it to undergo a chemical change that makes it even more dangerous. Trust me, I am strictly joking around.

Same as the "Delrin/PVC Copolymer" joke. Mixing those two resins creates a nasty chemical reaction and acid clouds.

I can make these jokes on here because I trust the majority of our readers are smart enough to spot the folly. Those who aren't don't usually have paying subscriptions so George doesn't mind if I off' them.

wierdscience
10-20-2015, 10:38 PM
On a locker at a Demolition company I visited once there was a sign-

"If at first you don't succeed,go high order"

Mcostello
10-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Some of Us here have no chemistry schooling. Would appreciate it if a warning was posted with the message. Might not have any learnin, but, that does not mean there is a lack of ambition to try. Would not be expecting a small nuclear explosion. :)

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-22-2015, 12:13 AM
Some of Us here have no chemistry schooling. Would appreciate it if a warning was posted with the message. Might not have any learnin, but, that does not mean there is a lack of ambition to try. Would not be expecting a small nuclear explosion. :)

Ah but that takes ALL the fun out of the experiment. ;) Going forward if you see something under the heading Black Hat Engineering assume that it's meant as humor and don't try it at home.

Try it at work all you want, they have insurance. :P

burdickjp
10-22-2015, 07:41 AM
I came up with this one in highschool: "if you aren't getting what you want you are not using enough violence."

When people genuinely agree I just walk away.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Mcostello
10-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Wasn't meaning to be heavy handed, but, if the roof came off, NO ONE here would understand. :)