PDA

View Full Version : [ot] Publishing a pay-per-download PDF

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-21-2015, 08:25 PM
I had it out with an online maker community in regards to polymer safety. It culminated in the moderator telling people "This man has more plastic experience than the majority of you put together. Go ahead and disregard what he says, I've been validating what he says via my own set of text-books and through google. If you want to contaminate your food with plastic vapors and toxic leaching be my guest. However stop disrespecting people who are trying to help."

SOME of that is true, I know a few things. ;)

Folks came forward and asked "can you consolidate some of this into a PDF file for us to reference we would pay you X units of $ for such a thing."

Well I was going to do it for free, but if people want to GIVE me money for it I am not going to stop them.

So how do I publish a PDF and post it somewhere that people can pay for it, and eventually I get the X units of $ delivered to my computerized temporary dollar resting tank for immediate redistribution on more important stuff. Like more 3D printers. ;)

H380
10-21-2015, 09:03 PM
You can self publish on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-summary-page.html?topic=200260520

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-21-2015, 11:12 PM
Exactly what I need. I had no idea they had a self-publish service...

dp
10-22-2015, 02:00 AM
So how do I publish a PDF and post it somewhere that people can pay for it, and eventually I get the X units of $ delivered to my computerized temporary dollar resting tank for immediate redistribution on more important stuff. Like more 3D printers. ;)

Selling is disallowed on the BBS but if you want to sell digital media on the internet you should find a digital medal hosting site. Tubalcain offers digital media on line and can be an example of how it's done. I'd be willing to bet a nut he's not making much money at it, though.

Alistair Hosie
10-22-2015, 03:00 AM
People want to download stuff free .So unless you can show them how to get things legally for free , or run your car on fresh air forever they IMHO are/or will be reluctant to pay. Most of the stuff your offering will probably already be out there free already sorry to pour cold water on a hot idea but, I think you're setting yourself up for a disappointment. Keep cool Alistair

Black Forest
10-22-2015, 03:11 AM
People want to download stuff free .So unless you can show them how to get things legally for free , or run your car on fresh air forever they IMHO are/or will be reluctant to pay. Most of the stuff your offering will probably already be out there free already sorry to pour cold water on a hot idea but, I think you're setting yourself up for a disappointment. Keep cool Alistair

If I listened to advice like that I would be as poor as you Alistair. If you do nothing you get nothing.

Left Handed Spud Wrench
10-22-2015, 03:26 AM
Alistair makes a good point. I'm not doing it to get rich.

I would like to collect some wisdom and information into a PDF file for people who are genuinely interested in learning. If I can find a way to do it so they can download said PDF for a couple of bucks that'd be great. It would be better than going through the blippenblharg of self-publishing a "book" or a platform-dependent mode (*cough* kindle*) Not ruling those out at the moment, still looking at options.

May go with the Amazon route simply because it seems fairly robust.

We'll see.