PDA

View Full Version : Gerstner value...

jamie76x
10-22-2015, 11:24 AM
What is the "going"price for gerstner 052 boxes? I can see a few on Ebay for a lot higher than I think they are worth, But was wondering what a more realistic value is?

Mcgyver
10-22-2015, 12:20 PM
What is the "going"price for gerstner 052 boxes? I can see a few on Ebay for a lot higher than I think they are worth, But was wondering what a more realistic value is?

what does "going price" mean, what they are actually transacting at - ie the "completed sale" price? If so, true comparable sales are always the best indicator of what something is "worth". Only you can say what its value is to you.

I ask because based on kijiji cruising, "worth" and "value" must be the two most misunderstood words in the language.

jamie76x
10-22-2015, 12:22 PM
"Going price" meaning, what they are actually selling for ....

portlandRon
10-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Go to the ebay page that has Gestner. Look at the left side of the page and you will see a listing for "sold", you may have to scroll down to see it, click on that and it will show you what items have sold for.

jamie76x
10-22-2015, 12:34 PM
I found the "sold for" tab you talked mentioned.

Even the actual selling prices are all over the map. 300-700 for the same model.

Mcgyver
10-22-2015, 01:13 PM
I found the "sold for" tab you talked mentioned.

Even the actual selling prices are all over the map. 300-700 for the same model.

that's what I meant, if you're looking at the "sold" listings that's what they're worth. In theory, differences should be explainable, same way appraisers tweak valuations with adjustments . I see 300-450 for the '52" with an outlier at 890 or something. Despite theory, I can't explain that one) The rest, the difference is a combination of condition and whether its NA made Gerstner (Gerstner international is made offshore and sells for less). The new looking one for 300 is likely International. There's also the possibility of onerous shipping or free shipping affecting price as well as the quality of the ad and seller - better photos etc = less risk/higher price, or even just more buyers than sellers one week vs the next.

all and all my take is they sell around 400 for a good one.

flylo
10-22-2015, 04:20 PM
I have 2-26" walnut & a 26" riser, non were ever used for tools & have wondered what they're worth as I'm not worthy of putting tools in them.

J Tiers
10-22-2015, 08:43 PM
Ebay is a poor source of price data.

What ebay gives is a price just a bit higher than the highest price the second-most motivated buyer in the entire US will pay. This does not represent a going price, but rather, it represents an upper bound on price. Meaning, of course, that that price is the highest you could ever expect to get.

Danl
10-23-2015, 11:47 AM

What ebay gives is a price just a bit higher than the highest price the second-most motivated buyer in the entire US will pay. This does not represent a going price, but rather, it represents an upper bound on price. Meaning, of course, that that price is the highest you could ever expect to get.

I agree with this comment. With some items, the time of the year it is offered is also a factor. I have picked up several HP 42 calculators for $2 to $4 at thrift shops during any given year, and if I wait until early to mid September to list them, college students will pay premium amounts for them. Other times of the year, not so much.

Dan

Mcgyver
10-23-2015, 12:07 PM

I knew you'd pipe up with that.

I've proven this wrong constantly. Not always, but mostly I can do better selling on classifieds. There is logic to it; there is a lot more risk buying sight unseen which translates into a lower price. then there's scams, shipping costs and possibly taxes.

But it depends

It depends on what you are selling and where - if what you are selling has a local market with sufficient demand, you can do better via classifieds. from that, logically items that might be considered very specialized to your local, in other words have no local demand, do fair better on ebay with its broad market.

flylo
10-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Where I live people just seem out of cash. You list local with a price & 99% of the responders want to trade & it goes like "I have this really great car, nothing wrong but the tranny's shot" Glad it's better up north.

Mcgyver
10-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Where I live people just seem out of cash. You list local with a price & 99% of the responders want to trade & it goes like "I have this really great car, nothing wrong but the tranny's shot" Glad it's better up north.

its a function of local demand, if its not there, then yes I agree ebay could produce higher prices by letting you reach a better market. With local demand, which will vary item by item of course, I can usually do better with classifieds than ebay.

I don't understood the logic of taking a trading approach, seems dumb to me for the same reasons currency was invented.

PS4steam
10-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Hi
Let me give you a price point. I have been collecting Gerstner tool boxes since the early 80's. I buy some then sell a few. Right now I have about 30, including bases, dental style, 042's, 052's etc. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have stopped buying and selling. I have watched the prices go way above what I will pay as a collector. However every now and then I do grab one so here are what I paid for the last few box's in the last 2 or 3 years

Walnut 042 very excellent condition $145
Oak 052 needs "front" door glued up $95
Base for 052 appears brand new (not a International) $130
Base for 042 appears brand new (not an International) $90

My rule for a number of years was no box over $110, now if I or my wife ( who actually found those four above at flea markets) find one for $150 or less we might buy it depending on condition. I sold the Walnut one to friend for what I paid.

So you can find these at reasonable prices you just need a lot of shoe leather.

By the way I have filled up 12 of these with tooling, fixtures, and all the stuff you would expect to find in a box to support my model making hobby. I like drawers and in addition to the Gerstner's I have around 400 or so drawers with lots of stuff.

So if you want one I would avoid eBay as you need to look at them to make sure they were not dropped full of tools, that the drawers actually work OK and are they for that box, the pins lock the front etc. Too many things can be hidden in a picture.

Good Luck

Bob

J Tiers
10-23-2015, 04:43 PM
I knew you'd pipe up with that.

I've proven this wrong constantly. Not always, but mostly I can do better selling on classifieds. There is logic to it; there is a lot more risk buying sight unseen which translates into a lower price. then there's scams, shipping costs and possibly taxes.

Well, it's not wrong here. Might be wrong in Alaska.

At tag sales, I see items sometimes with a price, and a note as to what items like it have sold for on ebay. Usually the price is 1/2 to 2/3 the listed ebay price.

And most often, the price is STILL about 2x to 3x the "going rate" locally.

By "going rate" I mean a price you can with confidence expect to find a similar item priced at within a few weeks at most, at another tag sale.

I am talking about tools, so in a tool and machine "desert" it will be different. But for certain, if you want NOT TO sell an item here, price it based on ebay sales. Your odds of selling are not good, you depend on finding the right "sale newbie" to exploit. The kind that ends up paying above retail on ebay.

Mcgyver
10-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Well, it's not wrong here. Might be wrong in Alaska.

At tag sales, I see items sometimes with a price, and a note as to what items like it have sold for on ebay. Usually the price is 1/2 to 2/3 the listed ebay price.

And most often, the price is STILL about 2x to 3x the "going rate" locally.

By "going rate" I mean a price you can with confidence expect to find a similar item priced at within a few weeks at most, at another tag sale.

I am talking about tools, so in a tool and machine "desert" it will be different. But for certain, if you want NOT TO sell an item here, price it based on ebay sales. Your odds of selling are not good, you depend on finding the right "sale newbie" to exploit. The kind that ends up paying above retail on ebay.

Way to many words for the issue of the thread, but for the sake of discussion.....if you think of it in terms of "is there enough local" demand it will make sense. If there is not enough local demand, increasing the market area will increase the price.

As subject, come at it like an appraiser would. Market value is what you'd realize with informed buyers and ample exposure to the market blah blah blah. I don't know what tag sales are, but its reasonable to say that garage sales/flea markets are not going to meet the requirement of being exposed to a reasonable number of buyers for reasonable time. A sine chuck at a country flea market needs to be put on kijiji or the like or maybe ebay. You don't automatically get what its worth, it has to be exposed properly.

Getting a 0-1" mic for $2 a garage sale doesn't mean its worth $2. It means the vendor didn't properly expose it to the market. Same with the chap above buying tool boxes. They're 'worth' what adjusted comparable sales say they're worth.....he's just buying from people who don't know/don't care. Warren Buffet style, buy low.

As a practical matter, I think few people understand value and worth. How often do you read ads "its worth $x", where x isn't what its worth, its what he paid for it retail or the classic "they go for..." when they are really saying "other asking prices are...." . With such an imperfect market and clueless participants, its a simple matter of ignoring the overpriced clueless and scooping up the under-priced clueless one.

The other variable is seller effort. Maybe $2 for the mic and not spending more time at is the way to go.....but if I did want to sell one, and the noted local demand rule as satisfied I likely get more for it on the classifieds than ebay for the reasons given.

jamie76x
10-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Well, Let me say this.... Ebay can give you a pretty good handle on what people are willing to pay at the time. Sometimes people overpay and sometimes the get a great deal. Just like going to a flea market or auction.

With that being said, I just may throw this puppy up on ebay tonight, start it ay .99 cents and se where it goes :)
I will post a link, if anyone is interested in seeing what t can bring. One sold less than 2 weeks ago for close to 900 bucks. Not sure why.....

J Tiers
10-23-2015, 07:29 PM
You seem to be saying that when there is a lot of wheat, wheat is cheap, or else sits unsold. Correct.

And, when there isn't quite enough wheat, it gets expensive. Also correct.

And if wheat is cheap, try to expose your wheat to a market where it is expensive, where there is not quite enough. OK, again correct.

Aside from that all being excessively obvious, I'm not sure of the point.

Clearly the areas we are in are quite different as far as the supply, vs demand for, tools. And a tag sale, with a time limit and dependency on personal visits by the potential purchasers, is not to be compared with a national (at least) auction, or even a Craig's list etc advert, with a far longer time, and obviously greater exposure. On the other hand, with a lot of stuff, the payback in terms of better pricing may not be there for ebay. For Craig's list, or your equivalent, it is again a commitment of time per sale that may not be justified for many small items. For a large item, sure. People do not sell many machines at garage sales, they put them on Craig's list for the reasons you state.

As for "worth" and "value", they are as near as I can determine, entirely situational. What's water and food worth when you are dehydrated and starving? Or when you are well fed, and have access to ample water?

To pull this back to Gerstner boxes, the "going rate" obviously is a local issue. If buying, buy local for best pricing in a tool-rich environment (not in a tool desert). If selling, go national if possible unless in a tool desert, in which case you might well do better locally.

My one and only Gerstner box was FREE.... Didn't pay a thing for it. But it is close to 100 years old, near as I can tell.

jamie76x
10-23-2015, 08:42 PM
In 10 days, we shall see .....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/262109337378?

Mcgyver
10-23-2015, 11:31 PM
You seem to be saying that when there is a lot of wheat, wheat is cheap, or else sits unsold. Correct.

And, when there isn't quite enough wheat, it gets expensive. Also correct.

And if wheat is cheap, try to expose your wheat to a market where it is expensive, where there is not quite enough. OK, again correct.

Aside from that all being excessively obvious, I'm not sure of the point.

Clearly the areas we are in are quite different as far as the supply, vs demand for, tools. And a tag sale, with a time limit and dependency on personal visits by the potential purchasers, is not to be compared with a national (at least) auction, or even a Craig's list etc advert, with a far longer time, and obviously greater exposure. On the other hand, with a lot of stuff, the payback in terms of better pricing may not be there for ebay. For Craig's list, or your equivalent, it is again a commitment of time per sale that may not be justified for many small items. For a large item, sure. People do not sell many machines at garage sales, they put them on Craig's list for the reasons you state.

As for "worth" and "value", they are as near as I can determine, entirely situational. What's water and food worth when you are dehydrated and starving? Or when you are well fed, and have access to ample water?

To pull this back to Gerstner boxes, the "going rate" obviously is a local issue. If buying, buy local for best pricing in a tool-rich environment (not in a tool desert). If selling, go national if possible unless in a tool desert, in which case you might well do better locally.

My one and only Gerstner box was FREE.... Didn't pay a thing for it. But it is close to 100 years old, near as I can tell.

what I said was I can usually exceed ebay prices with via classifieds and there's good reason why. , you didn't seem to understand why so I tried to explain. whatever. zzzzzzzz

flylo
10-24-2015, 12:14 AM

Wow, I looked at your other items, your pretty proud of it:rolleyes:

JRouche
10-24-2015, 01:25 AM
Hi
Let me give you a price point. I have been collecting Gerstner tool boxes since the early 80's. I buy some then sell a few. Right now I have about 30,
Good Luck

Bob

The F-in talking heads ERRR!!! Bob, you sound like the go to for the subject at hand. Jerry and Mac need to quiet up a bit.

If I wanted to get an education re: Gerstner boxes I would listen to Bob. JR

JRouche
10-24-2015, 01:29 AM

I didnt see what State you were from Jamie. If it is local snatch it up. JR

J Tiers
10-24-2015, 01:48 AM

Dunno 'bout that.... Gerstner is one of those things.... Like Southbend lathes..... You have three types of people.... ones who don't know or care, ones who see the toolbox (or lathe) as a useful and typical item, and those who are "cultists", or otherwise believe there is some special mystique about the particular brand... maybe they don't know the name of any other box (or lathe).

What price you can get (or are asked to pay), is totally dependent on which flavor of person is the prospective buyer (seller). Bob the collector may be good at calling the average price, but definitely each sale is a unique event... I see the same item on ebay from different sellers listed for, or completed sales at, prices varying over a range of at least 2 or 3 to one. Depends on who is spending money at the time.

Myself, I am just as happy with a Sipco as a Gerstner. or a Union, etc, etc, for that matter. I don't see the brand as justifying a sky high price. But, I am not trying to round out a collection, nor am I trying to buy the best, or whatever. And I don't have to have it now.... the sellers have the watches but I have the time.

It seems the OP is not buying, but selling, apparently that is his ebay sale. Which explains the "we'll see in 10 days", when the sale has been up for 6 hours now.

As for prices, I looked at some other prices in the "you might like these" links.... I see Kennedy boxes for prices in the same range as gerstner.... Kennedy boxes I routinely pay $25 to $50 for showed up at $300, when the high I ever see them at locally is maybe $125, unless they are full of what the sellers are pleased to call "tools" (often just odds and ends).

Based on those Kennedy boxes, ebay is all over the map on pricing, usually high. You will likely do OK with it.... exposure to as many folks who have drunk the Gerstner kool-aid as possible may get you a very good price unless this is Gerstner week on ebay.

JRouche
10-24-2015, 02:07 AM
It seems the OP is not buying, but selling, apparently that is his ebay sale. Which explains the "we'll see in 10 days", when the sale has been up for 6 hours now.

Hahaa. Glad I am not the only one that saw that long auction and a "what do you guys think" post as a phish. Hang around
long enough you will see it all.

FYI Jerry and Mac, still talk too much. Call the phish for what it is THEN sideline the convo. Etiquette still. JR

Mcgyver
10-24-2015, 09:21 AM
FYI Jerry and Mac, still talk too much. Call the phish for what it is THEN sideline the convo. Etiquette still. JR

etiquette? you're going to be a busy boy if you're going to try and keep everyone succinct and on topic here lol....besides, how is explaining pricing theory off topic or at etiquette issue? Granted it was so boring i almost fell off my chair, but hey, just step over snooze posts :)

But we're asked for valuation, not education on the boxes. If you're a buyer, Bobs coaching to look for under market opportunities which is good advice. If Bob gets a great deal for 100 and that day one sales for 350, all identical, what do you think its worth? Any valuation approach has as a given what its worth assumes proper exposure to the market. Its the guy bothering to look through comparable sales who knows what its worth.

J Tiers
10-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Hahaa. Glad I am not the only one that saw that long auction and a "what do you guys think" post as a phish. Hang around
long enough you will see it all.

1). Not so much of a phish.... started out as a "what can I expect to get for this " although it was not obvious if he was buying or selling then. I took it as a "here, you can watch too" comment.

2). Since the Original Post was asking about Gerstner value, AND ebay was being touted as THE source of pricing data, discussing that idea is totally on-topic. Since the OP wanted decent pricing estimates, so validity of source is relevant
McGyver rather wordily bragging up selling locally for better than ebay is actually also pretty much on-topic, but may not be relevant to the OP's location and situation. His comments on pictures and presentation are totally on-target, though. Poor presentation, dirt and dust, etc can easily cut the number of interested people, and also tends to get lowball offers. Dirty greasy machines are both often better and generally cheaper.

Mcgyver
10-24-2015, 10:16 AM
1). 2). McGyver rather wordily bragging up selling locally for better than ebay .

no need to throw stones, besides I'm not sure I'm winning the wordy race :D, and it is anything but bragging. Its a result to be expected within certain criteria if you understand pricing markets and valuation. Calling it bragging clearly says I haven't made myself understood

jamie76x
10-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Fight nicely children ....

Let me break it down to you all. Original post was intended to see what "the average joe" was buying these boxes for. Not ebay surplus seller "asking price" but a current respecable value. This post was not intended to "Bait" anyone into my auction. I pulled the last Gerstner box off the shelf and was wondering what they were selling for, as I was going to offer it to some one I know for $100 less than what a true current value was. Since I really couldn't get a solid value, I threw it up on greedbay just to see what it would bring. I also recieved a Ebay coupon to sell an item for free, so it seamed like a good time.

I listed it for 10 days because that is what the coupon was good for. So, since most people n these hobby pages are very inquisitive after getting involved in a post, I put the link up so the can see wat comes of it.

Now carry on, fight nice.

J Tiers
10-24-2015, 02:33 PM
I listed it for 10 days because that is what the coupon was good for. So, since most people n these hobby pages are very inquisitive after getting involved in a post, I put the link up so the can see wat comes of it.

Now carry on, fight nice.

That's what I figured. And I think if you don't sell it there (maybe you don't intend to???) and sell it to your friend for some amount less, you may be about right. In any case, you can "prove" you are giving a good deal, if there is a bid out there for quite a bit more....

No fight from me, I'm not trying to bait anyone either (maybe a gentle poke though :D)....Move right along folks, nothing to see here.

jamie76x
10-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Honestly, I offered it for 250 to my friend and they didn't even respond. So it's on ebay and I am confident it will bring well above 250

RB211
10-25-2015, 05:06 PM
I am completely ignorant about these wooden tool boxes. Why are they sought after? Are they as sturdy as a generic metal or plastic tool box? Are they good for starting fires in the wood stove? Do they suffer from the same problem "South Bend" lathes have, where the value is in the name?

justanengineer
10-25-2015, 05:07 PM
JMO, but I agree with the sentiment that ebay is usually vastly overpriced, nearest I can figure its where most folks go when they want something NOW and where women go to buy them for jewelry boxes. Ebay and other online mass-media shopping nutcases aside, in the Midwest and NE US common Gerstners like the 052 mentioned usually top out ~$150, and that's if you have a truly beautiful, higher end box. If you've got a well-used dirty old leatherette, lower end oak, or other lower end chest good luck getting $50 for it. With the price disparity it might seem like a no-brainer to sell on ebay, but ebay gives no longer gives any real protections to sellers. You literally run the risk of losing both your item and your money to a scammer, BTDT and wont sell there any longer because of it.

tlfamm
10-25-2015, 08:11 PM
New England Gerstner (asking) prices:

50+ year old Gerstner 042: $750
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/tls/5264893222.html

Older Gerstner lookalike + tools: $295
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tls/5268816942.html

Older Gerstner Leatherette: $150
http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/5272121105.html

Older Gerstner Journeyman chest: $375
http://burlington.craigslist.org/tls/5253116352.html

Honorable mention: shop-built machinists wooden chest: $150
Now sold, from the pix it looked very nicely done in Oak and ?; I thought it worth the price.

spongerich
10-25-2015, 11:20 PM
I am completely ignorant about these wooden tool boxes. Why are they sought after? Are they as sturdy as a generic metal or plastic tool box? Are they good for starting fires in the wood stove? Do they suffer from the same problem "South Bend" lathes have, where the value is in the name?

I think they're popular for a number of reasons.

- Tradition. Craftsmen used to make their own tool boxes. Wood was a natural choice since it's sturdy, inexpensive, readily available and can be worked with simple hand tools.

- Beauty. I suppose this is subjective, but a nicely made wooden box looks great in the shop.

- Protection. Most commercially made wooden boxes are plenty sturdy. As good as or better than the typical Kennedy steel chest. This is also anecdotal, but I have a number of wood and steel boxes in my unheated shop. It seems like the tools I keep in the wood boxes are less prone to rust than the tools in my steel Kennedy boxes. I suspect that this is partially due to the fact that the mass of the wood tends to moderate temperature swings. I also think that the wood absorbs some of the moisture and releases it more slowly as temperatures rise. If that's what you're after, the leatherette covered boxes are a good value since they're significantly less expensive and IMO look almost as nice.

I guess I'm a bit biased because I'm something of a wooden box addict. I'm up to 5 of them now with another Gerstner 052 like Jamie's on the way (Hooray!). As I acquire more of them, I move all of my good tools into them and use the Kennedy boxes for more mundane stuff like cutters, drills, end mills and other consumables.

J Tiers
10-26-2015, 12:41 AM

There's wood boxes, and there's GERSTNER wood boxes. I am of the opinion that yes it IS the value in the name, mostly. Everyone used the same types of wood, so that isn't really an issue, and there is no particular extra craftsmanship, if any, in the Gerstner.

I have a Gerstner and a Sipco (Sipco also made boxes sold under several other names, apparently). The main difference between them is that the Gerstner has most of the drawers with steel bottoms, and the Sipco uses plywood. For the usage, either works.

The joints are made identically, the pulls are the same. The Gerstner uses wood slides in the carcase, the Sipco uses screwed-on steel slides. There is really nothing substantial that you can point at as a slam-dunk superior feature in the Gerstner, let alone any overall difference in construction or Craftsmanship. Any "superiority" of one or the other is mostly or all a matter of opinion about details.

Seems that Gerstner is better because of the name.... And the fact that they are still in business, that they actively pander to the "Gerstner cultists", and can look up some pedigree for your box (for a substantial fee) if you so desire.

jamie76x
10-31-2015, 02:25 PM
It's getting close. We find out soon...