PDA

View Full Version : Loupe advice needed.

DICKEYBIRD
10-26-2015, 04:30 PM
Sigh, getting old's not for wusses. I have various magnifying devices, a fold down visor, flourescent ring light with magnifying lense, etc but after using box of cheap plastic loupes off of ebay I want to go ahead & get a decent one.

Which type & power would be best for looking at stuff like carbide insert tips & the like. The cheapo plastic one at 10X helps a lot but obviously there must be better ones out there. Triplet or Coddington style lense?

flylo
10-26-2015, 04:33 PM
I use a 10x folding pocket size I bought from surplus shed & they have a 1/2 price sale ending soon.

lakeside53
10-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Look at "otoscopes" on ebay/amazon (dirt cheap to damn expensive) I have several. Perfect for looking at the tips of tooling, inside carburetors etc. Hey, even good for what they were originally designed for.. looking in ears, up noses and for machinists -at slivers in fingers.

boslab
10-26-2015, 04:39 PM
I use the long focal length surgical visor myself, focus at about 450mm, not to close to spinny mangly things, found optivisors crap myself, short focus
http://www.optical-world.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnrexBRDNmZzNkf7c4c4BEiQALnlxhTzct7h 3HL2_LCgK8gJP249cIy4oL07QxGPjLCZtzEwaAtou8P8HAQ
Mark

redgrouse
10-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Hi Dickybird I use an Optivisor 5x magnification for general work and have an 8x lens as well, you can also get an attachment that folds over one eye for occasional extra power.
These have high quality optics, far better than most and I find them the best I have used, got mine from Brownells.
Cheers John

10KPete
10-26-2015, 05:40 PM
I also have the Optivisors, some three pair, but lately have taken an interest in those binocular thingies that
the dentist, and surgeons, use. Have no idea how they would be in practice but they are quite popular
with the medical set. I'm sure they are quite spendy. I have a couple of hand loupes up to I think 10x for
really getting in close. The one I like best is fully anchromatic (I don't know what that lens stack is called)
and give good wide field view.

Pete

mklotz
10-26-2015, 05:48 PM
I have Optivisors and various loupes plus several high quality inspection lenses. They all have their purpose but I find that when I use the loupes, the biggest problem is getting light on the object being inspected. Recently I bought one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMDIOBK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

and I love it. The LEDs provide brilliant white light on the subject and the lens is high quality. The viewing window has built in inch and millimeter scales but, more importantly, placing it on the subject sets the lens at exactly the right focal distance.

Duffy
10-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Deal Extreme or some other Chinese merchants sell a 30X illuminated loupe that is very good. I think it costs about $10.00. I have a couple of them around the house. Be advised that the focal length is pretty short, but the concentrated light is a great help.

boslab
10-26-2015, 06:23 PM
I also have the Optivisors, some three pair, but lately have taken an interest in those binocular thingies that
the dentist, and surgeons, use. Have no idea how they would be in practice but they are quite popular
with the medical set. I'm sure they are quite spendy. I have a couple of hand loupes up to I think 10x for
really getting in close. The one I like best is fully anchromatic (I don't know what that lens stack is called)
and give good wide field view.

Pete
They arent the cheap solution but if you need to see, they work.
Dont think dentists and surgeons whant to stick thier face in sombodys orifices!, try one you will be suprised, for one thing you can work at arms length, much easier
Mark

lakeside53
10-26-2015, 08:13 PM
The real stuff used by dentist etc start at a couple of grand... I asked my dental assistant how much hers cost. frigg... I have a Pakistani version for $60... not superb, crappy frames, but they work well enough so I can (carefully) run my lathe while wearing them.. lol

I have about 10 different thingies for looking at stuff close up... nothing works "best" for everything.

EddyCurr
10-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Crazy idea.

Since a willingness to spend some money is detected,
what about adapting a digital microscope to display
on a monitor ?

High resolution, as large a display as your budget allows,
as much distance from chips and whirly bits as you wish,
photo and video image capture ready. Magnification
starting at 10 and going up .

I have an inexpensive jewelers loupe (India), a Magna Visor
(Bausch & Lombe) and a vintage Champion Spark Plug light;
plus some magnifying glasses. All for static use, not while
machines are in use.

chipmaker4130
10-26-2015, 09:54 PM
. . .those binocular thingies that the dentist, and surgeons, use. Have no idea how they would be in practice but they are quite popular with the medical set. I'm sure they are quite spendy. . .

Had a procedure done a few weeks ago. The doc let me look through his Zeiss unit which has its own light and can change focal length out to around 2 ft. The view was amazing. So was the price. The entire setup, including a super smooth articulating arm cost him $35,000!

10KPete
10-26-2015, 09:55 PM
I've recently thought about how well a vid camera would work for little parts work on the lathe. Something where
the camera was mounted out of the normal sight line but close enough that the view wasn't so different to be
confusing. A monitor on the back splash would be convenient I think. Then there would be the normal view and
a magnified view on the screen. The camera could be put into positions that would allow seeing things that were
difficult to see usually. Like when boring or ID threading.... ?????

Pete

chipmaker4130
10-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Realistically, a monitor on my backsplash would have a boatload of curly-burns and oil smears within 30 minutes. Same with any plastic optics nearby.

EddyCurr
10-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Where's the read-out for your DRO mounted
and what is it made of ?

EddyCurr
10-26-2015, 10:45 PM
I've recently thought about how well a vid camera
would work for little parts work on the lathe. Something where
the camera was mounted out of the normal sight line but close
enough that the view wasn't so differentAt a time before video cameras became as compact
as they are today, I combined a bullet cam mounted
remotely together with a Sony video cam for the
recording duties. Kind of laughable to think back now,
given w/ what can be achieved with GoPro and the like.
However, the point is that the lens and the recording
device can be separated.

Mike Amick
10-27-2015, 01:40 AM
Talk about timing ... I just lost (today) an auction on Ebay for a Donagen optivisor. I already have one of those really
cheap headbands with the plastic optics and I love it. I would assume that the glassed lensed optivisors would
be even better.

I heard someone complain about the focal length, but you can get them with a fl of from a few inches to 20 inches.

_Paul_
10-27-2015, 04:54 AM
Ebay seems to have glass lensed far eastern copies of an Optivisor (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-2X-2-5X-Optivisor-Head-Magnifier-Watch-Repair-Eye-Magnifying-Glass-/111670646055?hash=item1a0016d527:g:dBIAAOSw~OdVVFX c) for around a quarter of the price of a Donegan unit has anyone tried one?

Paul

philbur
10-27-2015, 06:38 AM
This camera/monitor idea at 8:34 looks like a winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otSjut1iGGk&list=PL4ZDveKIGhzQG_7I_-SYfJ-svgDCm5x2V

Phil:)

MichaelP
10-27-2015, 10:33 AM
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/55978-Recommendations-for-a-Headband-Optical-Magnifier?highlight=donegan

MichaelP
10-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Ebay seems to have glass lensed far eastern copies of an Optivisor (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-2X-2-5X-Optivisor-Head-Magnifier-Watch-Repair-Eye-Magnifying-Glass-/111670646055?hash=item1a0016d527:g:dBIAAOSw~OdVVFX c) for around a quarter of the price of a Donegan unit has anyone tried one?

Paul

I had an opportunity to use an asian copy. Pure garbage. The real McCoy, Donegan Optivisor, is inexpensive enough.

DICKEYBIRD
10-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Aaarrgghhh! Stepped off into a black hole at work right after posting & just now got around to reading ya'lls responses. Thanks a ton for all the info...lots of good stuff to go forth & study up on!:D

I have one of the cheap USB microscopes & it works well for certain things but I want to get something that I can take out of a drawer & hold in my hand to examine cutting edges & the like. The one Marv linked to is looking like it's the one I need.