PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport 815 surface grinder manual

carlquib
11-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Does anyone have a scan of the manual for one if these they would be willing to share? I am especially interested in the recommendations for moving one. I think I have a line on one of these surface grinder to replace my grizzly 6x12.
-Brian

vpt
11-05-2015, 09:44 PM
I had a BP 8x15 for awhile. I believe I have the pdf on my old puter yet. If no one finds one for you by tomorrow I can see if the old puter will fire up and email it to you or something.

I used a strap with hooks on the inside of the colume and then a second strap to the front of the machine to balance it and moved it with my cherry picker.

carlquib
11-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Thanks vpt, if I don't come up with anything I will send you a pm.
-Brian

Doozer
11-05-2015, 09:53 PM
I am pretty sure they are Harig grinders with the Bridgeport name on them.

No one cares about your samsung or tapntalk.

-Doozer

carlquib
11-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Sorry it just sticks the Samsung thing on the bottom and I forget to delete it when I use the quick reply option. The only way to delete it with the quick reply option is to go back in and edit the post. Dang tapatalk. I guess I ought to look and see if there is a way to disable it. It doesn't use my normal sig line from HSM, like I'd like it too.

Brian

carlquib
11-05-2015, 10:03 PM
There maybe I fixed the sig line thing.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a a toolaholic!

Doozer
11-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Sorry and thanks.
It is these little things of modern society
that just poke me the wrong way. It is
just advertising being forced down our
throats every time you take a piss.
I refuse to have a smart phone and
I refuse to text message. I also refuse
to recognize "text" or "texting" as a verb.
I have issues medication can't fix.
Coffee and machine tools quiet the voices.

-Doozer

carlquib
11-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Amen Doozer, I'd much rather chase tenths all day long than try to make a computer do what I think it should, but I do enjoy the interaction on the forums.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic!

Mcruff
11-05-2015, 10:34 PM
I am pretty sure they are Harig grinders with the Bridgeport name on them.

No one cares about your samsung or tapntalk.

-Doozer

Bridgeport made there own grinders years ago, totally different then Harigs.
There nowhere near the quality of a Harig, we had several of them where I worked many years ago.

carlquib
11-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Yep, I realize that from the weight of the machine, but I'm sure it will be head and shoulders better that the grizzly 6x12 I've been using for the last 9 years. Idaho is a kind of a tool desert, takes much longer to find really good stuff at great prices than in the rust belt.

Toolguy
11-06-2015, 10:44 AM
If it has a roller bed make sure to remove the table for transport or the bumps along the route will ruin the ways with dents. On a non ball or non roller way system where there is 100% contact this isn't an issue.

bborr01
11-06-2015, 12:54 PM
You fixed it alright. Now it shows twice. Catchy signature line by the way.

Brian

There maybe I fixed the sig line thing.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a a toolaholic!

carlquib
11-06-2015, 01:14 PM
No roller bed on this one so I think I am safe, it had the inverted v's. I only have one machine with the roller bed and luckily when I bought it the guy asked me if I was going to take the table off to transport it.

vpt
11-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Email sent, let me know if it works. Sometimes these computer things are hard for me.

carlquib
11-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Worked perfectly, thank you. It is safely in my shop. Now I just need time to get it going.

vpt
11-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Good deal! They do seem to be a nice machine, unfortunate;y I never got to power mine. :(

carlquib
11-07-2015, 08:12 PM
I'm hoping I can get to this one in the next couple weeks. I want to go over it and give it a good cleaning. The rear motor bearing was making a noise while the motor slowed down when I inspected the machine so I want to address that too.

carlquib
11-08-2015, 01:26 AM
So what is the best way to bed a mag chuck so you don't have to worry about corrosion between the chuck and table when using coolant? I saw that Stan used cold galvanizing paint on his grinder to bed the chuck. Is there anything better? I have used grease on my mills with mixed results when using coolant. How about bedding methods? What I have done in the past is remove chuck and dust table off, then mag chuck to the table bottom up, dust bottom of chuck. Finally bed chuck, bolt down and dust off the chuck face, magnet on. Anyone have a better method?

vpt
11-08-2015, 07:58 AM
A heavy wax? Like the kind you have to melt to pour.

RichR
11-08-2015, 11:28 AM
What about a piece of wax paper or Saran wrap?

carlquib
11-08-2015, 04:56 PM
I don't know, the wax might be interesting. Would the wax stop the chuck from bedding well and create movement? It might be worth a try to get it all cleaned up and bedded, then map the chuck. Then remove the chuck and add the wax or wax paper or plastic. Tighten the chuck back down and then map it again. I would probably let it sit for a few days and then check the map again to see if it would stay consistent. Any other thoughts on ways to keep it consistent?

vpt
11-08-2015, 05:54 PM
The wax paper sounds like a decent idea too. I know many tools seem to come wrapped in wax paper or something like it. Maybe not a heavy wax that needs to be melted like I mentioned before but a near need to melt to get on wax? Like the wax they use on surf boards or skis?

carlquib
11-08-2015, 08:01 PM
I still wonder if the wax paper would seal all the coolant out? That was the problem I had with the grease on the mill. I still have a stain on the table where some coolant got underneath. I thought the grease would keep the coolant out so I didn't remove the vice and clean between vice and table. It was probably only on there for a week too, before I had to take the vice of for another job and found the corrosion under it. I was not a happy camper when I found it.