X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTSideshow
    • Nov 2005

A blast from TV lands past for the older members in the US and Canada

Most shops had lava hand soap near the sink.
    While cleaning out stuff in in mothers bathroom storage closet, I came acroos these two relics. As they say a blast from the past, most of the older people on here will remember the ads on the tube for these.

I wonder how much they will bring on flea bay?
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
  • flylo
    • Apr 2011

I bid #1/shipped

Comment

• vtcnc
      • Feb 2015

Blast from the past?! I've got a bar sitting in the kitchen right now! Last weekend, I told my wife I was going downstairs to work on my Atlas rebuild. I got the, "don't you want to spend time with me?", look. I smiled and said, "come on down and help!" She called my bluff. She ended up disassembling two three jaw chucks for me! When she looked at her hands, I pointed her to the Lava bar...worked like a charm!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

• JoeLee
        • Aug 2009

I remember those products very well. I used Lava all the time when I was working on cars, never really cared for the gritty feeling but at the time it was the best stuff around aside from washing your hands in gas. Then along came the cream type hand cleaners, can't remember the name but there was one I used and it came in a small paper rolled blue can with a pull tab lid and a plastic lid to snap over the top once you opened it. Now I use Fast Orange, works well.

JL.................

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
          • May 2006

Yes Lava is what I used - and no was not the best but best at the time --- then came Go-Jo - I think it might have been a petroleum product - sure smelled like it and always separated after time into a half liquid --- not very good stuff, then came fast orange ---- with pumice though - has to be with pumice...

Comment

• Puckdropper
            • Apr 2014

Just did a quick check of Amazon... They're still selling it, and the logo has changed only slightly. Blast from the past, sure... but still present in the future.

Personally I keep WD40, Fast Orange, and Dawn near the sink. For grease, I use the WD40 first then clean up the WD40 with the dawn. Works great.

Comment

• Sunset Machine
              • Sep 2015

You guys never heard of Mean Green Hand Cleaner? This is HAND CLEANER, the real stuff.

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                • May 2006

Yes I thought they still sold Lava --- there was another bar type soap of the era that had the same kinda rough texture for cleaning - I can't think of it though... Duh--- did a quick search - it's called Pumice

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                  • May 2006

ahh yes mean green that stuff is pretty good - shop I used to work at had it and it worked very well too...

boy this is taking me back lol

Comment

• Lew Hartswick
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    I remember those products very well. I used Lava all the time when I was working on cars, never really cared for the gritty feeling but at the time it was the best stuff around aside from washing your hands in gas. Then along came the cream type hand cleaners, can't remember the name but there was one I used and it came in a small paper rolled blue can with a pull tab lid and a plastic lid to snap over the top once you opened it. Now I use Fast Orange, works well.

JL.................
                    Maybe D&L . I remember dad always used that I havent seen it in years. At that time it was either D&L or GoJo and I hated the GoJo , it worked OK I guess but it smelled terrible. The D&L smelled good.
                    ...lew...

Comment

• Highpower
                      • Aug 2008

Several shops I worked in "back in the day" kept a bar of Lava at the sink. Later - GoJo, then Fast Orange took its place. Here is another one (also still around today) that mom always kept on hand for when we got into those plants with leaves of three.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fels-Naptha

Comment

• mars-red
                        • Jan 2012

That's a bit before my time, I had never even heard of Lifebuoy before watching "A Christmas Story".

Captain Crazy soap remains my all time favorite, but I haven't seen it for sale in many years.
                        Max
                        http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

• Michael Edwards
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by vtcnc View Post
                          Blast from the past?! I've got a bar sitting in the kitchen right now!
                          I have some of Lava liquid soap at my house. It ok, but no where near as good as Kresto.

Comment

• goose
                            • Jul 2007

I assume they still make Boraxo, but I haven't seen it for ages and the last time I heard the jingle was probably in the 1970's.

They had it in school, or at least a generic version of it, in a wall dispenser in the bathroom. Horrid, dry, granular crap in your hands. Once you got it wet it felt OK.

That, and the paper towels that felt like sandpaper.
                            Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

• EddyCurr
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                              Maybe D&L . I remember dad always used that I havent seen it in years.
                              D&L now seems to be represented under the Permatex banner

Remember the wall dispenser? A die-cast base that product tin was upended
                              onto, with a little rod equipped with a plastic ball end if memory serves. I
                              believe I still have a tin.

Comment

Working...
                              X