PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a replacement compressor

DICKEYBIRD
11-25-2015, 04:06 PM
During the forum outage I was catching up over on the Practical Machinist site & found an informative post on compressor tank failures. I had a dope-slap moment & realized how lucky (and stupid) I am. My shop compressor was purchased from Sears over 44 years and 2 wives ago.

It started leaking through a couple rust pin holes on the bottom closest to the wheels in 1991 so I took it to work, cleaned the areas with a wire brush & brazed up the holes. I carefully tapped around all over the bottom with a pecking hammer to confirm that there were only 2 pinholes. I then realized the tank wasn't sitting level & was lowest on the end opposite the drain petcock. I installed a spacer block so it was then low on the petcock end and promptly forgot about it.

There are still no leaks after all those years but after I got a brain this morning I promptly drained the air & unplugged it. I shudder to think about the possibilities.

Anybody have a recommendation for a 110 volt compressor? It doesn't have to be super heavy duty because my usage is fairly light. The original was 1 hp, twin cyl 100 psi, rated @ 4.8 cfm @ 90 psi. Of course that was 1971 hp, probably more like 5 hp in 2015!:rolleyes: It will need to be a horizontal type to go in the same spot the old one lives in and I think it's probably 30-35 gallon size.

wierdscience
11-25-2015, 08:03 PM
I can recommend the Makita Mac2400-4.2cfm @ 90 psi.

http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=MAC2400

Low speed,cast iron cylinder with oil bath crankcase and much quieter than the other oilless makes on the market.

wierdscience
11-25-2015, 08:10 PM
And just as a reminder here is an old post on the subject of rotten air compressor tanks-

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/archive/index.php/t-19099.html

DICKEYBIRD
11-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks! I would've never thought about something so small but if Makita says it'll do the job, it will!

Rosco-P
11-25-2015, 09:12 PM
What about new tank for old pump and motor?

flylo
11-25-2015, 11:10 PM
I have a Farm Hand that is quiet, runs slow & put's out lots of air. It was 240v but I switched it to 120 but you can't run it on a cord even though I use 10ga cords I have to plug it in close to the box. I may convert it back. Whatever you do buy an oil type pump & 1725 rpm motor.

DICKEYBIRD
11-26-2015, 12:35 AM
What about new tank for old pump and motor?Being over 44 yrs. old, I figure it's time for a new one! The motor will get saved for sure because it's an old school 1 hp that still runs great. The compressor itself knocks like Benny Goodman's band when the pressure is low. I forgot to check the oil level for a long time & it ran low because it was worn & using oil. It's got a bazillion hours on it and I don't think I have the strength to rebuild the pump and switch all the old parts to a new tank anyway.

chipmaker4130
11-26-2015, 11:05 AM
How about a PK-5020 from Puma?
http://www.pumaairusa.com/products-05.html

ironmonger
11-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Regardless of what you chose to replace it, you might consider one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-AC110V-Automatic-Electronic-Timed-Drain-Valve-for-Filter-Separator-Gas-Tank-/171418503061?hash=item27e956c795:g:WNEAAOSwDk5T6d1 z

My compressor is located in the basement of the house, it uses nice conditioned air in the summer to reduce the moisture intake, but is drained by one of those valves year round. The air travels to the attached garage/shop via 1/2" copper tube and is stored out there in an additional air tank with a separate manual drain valve.

The compressor is a JC Penney 3 HP 220V from about 1980. It gets it's oil changed at Christmas time every year... and it's present to me is the fact that it still works...

JoeFin
11-26-2015, 12:12 PM
My shop compressor was purchased from Sears over 44 years and 2 wives ago.

My 2 Hp / 2 Cyl Craftsman compressor is 26 yrs old and going strong - No Pin Holes, no complaints and has performed well from painting cars to providing air support for my surface grinder.

With a history like that I would go back for seconds

DICKEYBIRD
11-26-2015, 12:18 PM
How about a PK-5020 from Puma?
http://www.pumaairusa.com/products-05.htmlWow, right here in Memphis too! I'll call them on Monday for a price.

chipmaker4130
11-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Good luck! They'll probably refer you to a dealer. They seem to make a good unit, last one I got had a WEG (Brazilian) motor, and the whole thing seems to be well built.

wierdscience
11-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Yup,Puma makes a good unit at a good price.I have a 5hp 2-stage out on the farm that has been bullet proof.It's going on 20 years old,so far no problems except it did burn a pressure switch once.

Black_Moons
11-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Buy a new tank for your old compressor and retrofit it.

If you want it to be quieter, consider buying a new teflon style one way check valve for the tank. WAYYYY quieter then the old brass style and it turned out to be the thing making 80% of the noise on my compressor