PDA

View Full Version : sold works

plunger
11-25-2015, 03:07 PM
I was reading on another forum that solidworks is changing their annual contracts.The gripe was that some users chose a certain package but it seems solidworks is pretty much bullying them,almost like they are breaching their agreement. It sounds like for a small business it is a very unfair and very expensive package. Does anyone here know what the gripe is about?

gaston
11-25-2015, 06:12 PM
My sons new Business (adaptive 3d printing) has started useing "cloud" cad-cam software (OnShape) and told solidworks to shove it!
he works with customer solidworks files and does revisions as needed to produce their parts. some of his customers are large nationals corps. works fine for him

wmgeorge
11-25-2015, 07:59 PM
I use Autodesk Fusion 360 which I understand is a going to be competing for some of the Solidworks customers. Its not 100% cloud based which would be a pain in the butt. Fusion can run just fine off line for a week or so. I use it for my 3D printing designs.

J Tiers
11-26-2015, 12:16 AM
I believe the problem is with folks who are not on maintenance agreements. Instead of allowing them back if they pay the renewal penalty, they have to pay all the fees for all the years that they missed, plus the current fee. This starts Jan 1 2016, so there is still time to get in under the old policy.

Peter N
11-26-2015, 02:40 AM
That's exactly what it is, and aimed at people like me.
I've been using Solidworks since SW2001, and from there until SW2008 I paid my annual maintenance fee, got my service packs, support and annual new versions.
After that I kept skipping a year, then going back on maintenance.
This worked well for me as new releases sometimes weren't that exciting, and instead of paying 1200/year I could rejoin again and just pay for the next 12 months maintenance + a 250/300 'late' fee - thereby saving almost 1K every other year.

I'm now on SW2014 and skipped maintenance for the SW2015 release - which really wasn't that exciting with no major new features - and of course SW2016 was released about 2 months ago.
After much discussion with my vendor, and lots of special discount offers and incentives, I have decided not to go for SW2016 (it's even less exciting than 2015...) and have come off the maintenance program.
Now if I want to upgrade after Jan 1st it will cost me a minimum of 2400 to do so, and another 1200 on top of that for every new release year.
Quite frankly it's not worth it.

I could still do pretty much everything I need to do with SW2008, and apart from a few time saving features and a few really nice things (like the conic radius feature in SW2014) the things in the software that I could really take advantage of have become fewer and less appealing. And I haven't used the support line for donkeys years, the internet made that a little obsolete.

I am a little ambivalent about it, but on balance I don't think I could justify staying with it. The only real issue would be working with clients who do upgrade, but I've been seeing less of that over the years anyway.
Incidentally, Autodesk are doing the same thing from January 1st.

CosmosK
11-26-2015, 01:14 PM
SW has been going down the tubes ever since Dassault bought them. The updates are crap.. hiding buttons from you and new crashes.. very little new content. I'm a long time SW user and it's annoying because it's been such a great program. It seems most of the big CAD programs are moving to subscription based licensing. The days of buy it and own it are almost over. I don't think you can buy a SW license today and it will still work if you don't pay the yearly maintenance. I'm starting my own business and I got Inventor as an alternative. Until Jan 16 you can buy a perpetual license and maintenance is optional.

ftownroe
11-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Somewhat off topic; sorry, but does anyone know of any other programs that can read solid works files and don't cost an arm and a leg? I am just a hobbyist and do not make any money off of this hobby but have a project I am looking forward to but the files are in solid works format. I know that Autocad has programs that will read and print it's files without having to subscribe.

Peter N
11-26-2015, 01:57 PM
SW has been going down the tubes ever since Dassault bought them. The updates are crap.. hiding buttons from you and new crashes.. very little new content. I'm a long time SW user and it's annoying because it's been such a great program. It seems most of the big CAD programs are moving to subscription based licensing. The days of buy it and own it are almost over. I don't think you can buy a SW license today and it will still work if you don't pay the yearly maintenance. I'm starting my own business and I got Inventor as an alternative. Until Jan 16 you can buy a perpetual license and maintenance is optional.

Don't think you are quite right here, Dassault has owned Solidworks since 1997 when it was in it's infancy, and Solidworks 98 (which I used illegally for a couple of years before deciding to buy the Software license) was the first major release in widespread use. Generally it got better and better for many years, it's just the last couple of years where it's been less exciting.

CosmosK
11-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Don't think you are quite right here, Dassault has owned Solidworks since 1997

You are correct. I thought it was more recent. It doesn't matter, the effect is it has been going downhill for some time now, more than the last couple years imho. It's been my day job platform since 2008. The only thing that has really changed (that I use) since then is better rendering. Edit: maybe it has been just the last couple years it's got annoying..

Fred, there are may programs out there that can open SW files. You won't be ale to edit them, but they can be imported. Geomagic can. Turbo and Rhino are also programs to check out. These all come in much cheaper than a new seat of Inventor or SW.

MikeHenry
11-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Somewhat off topic; sorry, but does anyone know of any other programs that can read solid works files and don't cost an arm and a leg? I am just a hobbyist and do not make any money off of this hobby but have a project I am looking forward to but the files are in solid works format. I know that Autocad has programs that will read and print it's files without having to subscribe.

Check out Onshape:

www.Onshape.com

It's new software that is functional but still in development so is still missing some of the more advanced features. It's produced by a team that includes several old SW employees, including a previous CEO I think. It comes in 2 versions, free and Pro with the main difference the number of documents you can privately hold and how much storage space the free docs use. At present that is 10 docs and 100 MB, but you can have an unlimited number of public documents so long as they don't use more than 5 GB of space. It can read a variety of CAD formats including Solid Works.

loose nut
11-28-2015, 07:50 PM
The updates are crap.. hiding buttons from you and new crashes.. very little new content.
It seems most of the big CAD programs are moving to subscription based licensing. The days of buy it and own it are almost over. I don't think you can buy a SW license today and it will still work if you don't pay the yearly maintenance. .

Why would they spend money making it better when they have a tight grip on you where it hurts the most. You have to pay them every year or lose everything. SW claims 2 1/2 million seats and they all pay almost a thousand a year or more maybe, do the math. Two and a half Billion coming in for doing little or nothing. Tantamount to robbery.

Do any of you wonder why software is pirated. Remember the golden rule, "do unto them cause they are doin' it to you".

CosmosK
11-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Why would they spend money making it better when they have a tight grip on you where it hurts the most. You have to pay them every year or lose everything. SW claims 2 1/2 million seats and they all pay almost a thousand a year or more maybe, do the math. Two and a half Billion coming in for doing little or nothing. Tantamount to robbery.

Do any of you wonder why software is pirated. Remember the golden rule, "do unto them cause they are doin' it to you".

I think their latest antics are a squeeze on the "middle class" of users. Bigger companies with hundreds or seats probably won't notice, but the little guys will. Too bad because it's been such a great platform. It will be interesting to see where these cloud based ones go. I'm staying away from them for the time being.

loose nut
11-29-2015, 08:42 AM
I tried ON Shape just to see what it was like and someday it will be a decent program just not there yet. You can still do some good work with now but it is missing some of the features that 3D cad users expect. Cloud based cad is dependent on your connection speed to be good but on the flip side it is being updated all the time and you always have the latest version to work with since you don't have to download updates.

Fusion 360 is in the same boat and will be a good program when it matures which should happen faster since Autodesk has existing programs that can be used as a base.

MikeHenry
12-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Onshape has been releasing new major features every 3-4 weeks. It still has a long way to go, but is getting there quickly.