X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fastfire
    • Jul 2015

what's it wirth?

I located a 6 1/2" PRATT BERNERD IRON BODY 4 JAW INDEPENDENT CHUCK, As the title says what's it worth?
    It shows very little use and looks to be in good shape but I know looks doesn't always tell the whole story.
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!
  • Richard P Wilson
    • Aug 2012

Is it a slim body or the heavy duty version? These were a good quality chuck, but a few things to watch:
    1) Are there any cracks in the corners of the key holes?

2) Do the jaws wind in and out smoothly?

3) When the jaws are out, is there any sign of stripped threads in the jaws?

4) As its an iron body. are there any cracks in the body?

If the above doesn't reveal any horrors, and its nice and clean, not covered in dings, we'd probably pay up to £100 for it here in the UK, maybe a bit more here in Myfordland, if its one of the special ones with a Myford nose thread directly in the chuck body.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

• JoeLee
      • Aug 2009

If it were a regular scroll chuck I would be more concerned with the above mentioned things to look out for.

JL................

Comment

• fastfire
        • Jul 2015

it's online with 2 pictures.
        Can't see ANY dings or scratches

Description, It is a D1-4 type but is also drilled for a 4 bolt mounting back plate. The jaws are clean and tight ,shows very little usage
        Last edited by fastfire; 11-27-2015, 05:10 PM.
        Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Comment

• Axkiker
          • Jun 2014

Ebay prices... maybe 300 - 350 US.

Comment

• ammcoman2
            • Dec 2004

I bought an 8" slim body PB 4 jaw chuck from a dealer a few years ago for $200 Cdn. Did not find any metal chips on or in it - only wood dust. Had a 1 1/2" - 8 thread backplate which I changed to a D1-4. It was in almost perfect shape and I was very happy to part with the money.

The PB 6" unit I have on my Myford lathe (with integral mount as Richard mentions) is also a slim body (about 1 5/8" thick). These chucks are a pleasure to use.

OTOH one can be duped by the name brand. I once found a 4" PB 4 jaw chuck at an estate sale where the lighting was iffy . Brought it home after paying $90 and it was a piece of junk with badly worn slides and 2 mangled screw heads.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
            X