PDA

View Full Version : I needed a surface grinder today.

Black Forest
11-29-2015, 12:47 PM
I have two parts I am having fits getting to be exactly on size for the quill on my drilling tapping machine I am building.

So what to do.......? I did what any self-respecting farmer would do. I took a 1kw 3 phase motor an made up an arbor to mount a grinding stone onto. THEN I took the clapper off my big shaper and mounted the motor to the arm. Clamped my part to the table because it has a big slot in the middle so the clamps are below the surface.
Set the table to move over the smallest amount possible. Set up the Kool-mist Cranked this and that, let it rund and presto I had an on size part!

I wanted to take a video but was in a hurry and frustrated that things weren't going smoothly before so just rushed through it. I didn't have my phone with me either.

Toolguy
11-29-2015, 01:03 PM
That's pretty cool! Good workaround.

Mcgyver
11-29-2015, 01:48 PM
to bad you didn't have a RAS

MichaelP
11-29-2015, 04:45 PM
:):):)

bob308
11-29-2015, 05:24 PM
I use my tool post grinder in my Vernon 12" shaper.

Mark Rand
11-30-2015, 07:15 AM
I was forced to do the same thing about 12 years ago, before I got the surface grinder. In my case the work was white iron, too hard to file or scrape. I mounted a 115mm angle grinder in a holder in the clapper box and it did the job very well.

Note:- Be very careful to strip and clean the shaper's ram and table slides afterwards. There is a very high risk of getting grit into them.

flylo
11-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Black Forest just stop over & pick up a surface grinder no charege.

Doozer
11-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Hack.
Hard to prevent and almost impossible to remove all the
grit generated from grinding on a machine tool from the
ways and screws, unless you take everything apart and
clean them in the parts washer. Not to mention the damage
the grit will be doing in actual use of the task at hand.
You will get no creativity points from me.

-Doozer

Seastar
11-30-2015, 10:19 AM
I
Hack.
Hard to prevent and almost impossible to remove all the
grit generated from grinding on a machine tool from the
ways and screws, unless you take everything apart and
clean them in the parts washer. Not to mention the damage
the grit will be doing in actual use of the task at hand.
You will get no creativity points from me.

-Doozer
Comments like this and about tool post grinders on a lathe always make me wonder how surface grinders survive any length of time.
I don't have a surface grinder and have never closely examined one of them.
How can they possibly keep tiny particles of abrasive out of their moving parts?
What sort of magic do they have?
Bill

Mcgyver
11-30-2015, 10:48 AM
I
Comments like this and about tool post grinders on a lathe always make me wonder how surface grinders survive any length of time.

they're designed for it. Every grinder you'll examine is built such that its difficult for grit to get into the sliding surfaces...slideways would be up and under a surface for example. vs lathes and shapers where you can see the slidways and reach out and touch them

I believe grinding in the lathe is best done in a separate room from the lathe, down the hall, with the door shut. I'll do it if I have to but it wouldn't be my first choice and I'd make some effort with paper towel and magnets to protect things. A shaper is maybe even more at risk given how exposed all the slides are and impossible to cover (ie ram bearing surfaces)

The actual grinding produces very little grit...its 99% metal chips - most wheels don't wear that fast. But when you dress them, and you have to dress them, its a high velocity spray of fine abrasive particles going everywhere.

TGTool
11-30-2015, 11:23 AM
I think too that operations like tool post grinding and re-purposing other machines to do the job should be the last resort. However, it seems inane for others to tell someone they should just have done something else. Like "just buy a cylindrical grinder, that's what they're made for." Easy for them to say since it's not their money, space and time. And then there's the hyperbole of "just haul that lathe out 'cause it's junk now that you've used a grinder near it."

Of course, point out the potential liabilities and ways to mitigate them if possible but give someone at least some credit for trying to get a real world solution with the tools and budget at their disposal. Be nice. Be helpful. Give it a rest.

10KPete
11-30-2015, 11:48 AM
I think too that operations like tool post grinding and re-purposing other machines to do the job should be the last resort. However, it seems inane for others to tell someone they should just have done something else. Like "just buy a cylindrical grinder, that's what they're made for." Easy for them to say since it's not their money, space and time. And then there's the hyperbole of "just haul that lathe out 'cause it's junk now that you've used a grinder near it."

Of course, point out the potential liabilities and ways to mitigate them if possible but give someone at least some credit for trying to get a real world solution with the tools and budget at their disposal. Be nice. Be helpful. Give it a rest.

Right frickin' on!!!

Pete

KIMFAB
11-30-2015, 03:20 PM
What's the deal here, I thought everybody had a cylindrical grinder, EDM, gun drill, and 32" turning center.

It's about time for FLYLO to start distributing some of his fancy tooling to us poor folk so we can do a decent job.

That's the least he can do to help combat this global warming threat. :rolleyes:

Doozer
11-30-2015, 07:58 PM
For those interested...
Arter makes a rotary surface grinder, kinda like a baby Blanchard
that is loosely based on the shaper design.

http://www.mesamarine.com/after.jpg

I think it is missing a rubber mud flap or something,
as you can see the exposed ways under the grinding
wheel. Yes, they have a round magnetic chuck, just
like a Blanchard.

Here is one with the mud flap in place.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xCCVVpz4Irk/maxresdefault.jpg
--Doozer

J Tiers
11-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Coolant really slows down the grit flying action..... Dry grit can "fall up" onto under-surfaces. Wet grit gets washed to the filter.