PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

George Bulliss
11-30-2015, 01:08 PM
I heard over the weekend that our long-time author and all around amazing craftsman Birk Petersen passed away on November 27 from complications during hip surgery. Over the last few years Birk and I have chatted via email (as he did with many others) about model making and just about anything else. I would typically get an email about an idea he had for a new project and it wasn't unusual for him to have it done by the time I composed and sent a reply. One of his friends mentioned that they referred to Birk's amazing pace as "Birkspeed."

I've posted this link before, but for those who may have missed it, and for those who have fallen behind on his projects (easy to do) here it is again.
Birk's Place (http://birkpetersens.blogspot.com/)

I'm going to miss my chats with Birk and I know I'm not the only one; he influenced and helped a large number of people in the hobby. RIP Birk.

laddy
11-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Sad news indeed. I always marveled at his abilities! I have frequented his web site routinely for a Long time. He was a wealth of ideas and talent. I copied a few of his simpler projects. Such a shame.

garyhlucas
11-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Very prolific guy, machining, casting, all around metal worker. I would love to see his whole shop. I hope he passed on some of skills. Sad ending to be sure, and completely unexpected when getting repair work done.

flylo
11-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Sad loss of a very interesting & talented gentleman.

PStechPaul
11-30-2015, 04:13 PM
I had not heard of him, but he has left behind a great legacy with his fascinating models of mechanical and electrical contrivances. I have bookmarked his blog and I might even try making something inspired by his work. Birk was a great craftsman and innovator, and he will be missed.

SJorgensen
11-30-2015, 06:00 PM
I had hopes of meeting this fine craftsman. Several of my friends have known him for decades, and visited with him very recently. I had heard of his passing on 11/25/2015 so it may have happened that day or days before. I learned that he had fallen from his roof while cleaning the rain gutters and broke his hip, necessitating the surgery. He managed to get back into the house by himself, but it may have been some time before he got help. That's what I've heard. Everyone should see his website. What a great craftsman. What a great loss.

Spencer

tlfamm
11-30-2015, 08:07 PM
An amazing craftsman; RIP.