PDA

View Full Version : Hendey factory tour 1943 link

flylo
12-01-2015, 08:43 PM
http://www.lathes.co.uk/hendeyfactory/ BTW there are 5 pages, easy to miss.

v860rich
12-01-2015, 09:11 PM
fly, thanks for the link.

THANX RICH

chipmaker4130
12-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Finally! Some old shop photos close-up. That's fun. Thanks.

Ironwoodsmith
12-01-2015, 11:07 PM
I just plowed thru all 5 pages. What a treat. Thanks

darryl
12-02-2015, 02:52 AM
That was interesting. I liked the 30 ft long planer machining two rows of lathe beds in one go-

Richard King
12-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Thanks for this Thread. I hope you don't mind, but I put it on the other forum. I gave you credit for it flylo. I also mentioned how UK lathes accepts donations to keep that historical site operating.

My Dad worked as a machinist and rebuilder during WW2 up here in MN and I would bet his plant looked a lot like that one but they were producing naval guns. God Bless the USA and our free people who helped win the war! Rich

fastfire
12-02-2015, 12:45 PM
I SPENT 2+ HOURS ON THAT SITE, Thanks
GOOD STUFF!

Richard P Wilson
12-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Fascinating, but I'm horrified by the total lack of protective clothing worn by the foundry workers when pouring iron!

QSIMDO
12-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Several of the buildings still exist including the office, the building with the elevated shot of all the lathes on the floor and others.
There is a movement afoot to hopefully attract a developer to reuse the existing buildings for business and housing, much like they did with a woolen mill in the north end of town.
Hope they succeed as the State wanted to put a transportation center on the site.
Just across the street was a brass mill which is now a shopping center.

Gee, we certainly need more of those.

PStechPaul
12-02-2015, 06:55 PM
It's amazing that so much machining technology has not changed in the 70+ years since WW2. That was near the end of an era in the US (and elsewhere), that was characterized by hard and proficient work by many employees, and a sense of pride, loyalty, and stability as evidenced by the last picture where a retired foreman had worked for the factory for over 50 years. New hires would also have similar expectations, but things changed by the end of the 60s, and now corporate CEOs implement 5-year get-rich-quick-and-run plans that sap the lifeblood from companies they start or take over. Part of that is the rapid change of technology, but mostly, I think, due to greed and global competition.

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the tour, and it brought back memories that I would have had if I were born 20 years earlier. My father worked as a machinist at Glenn L Martins before joining the Army and fighting the Nazis in his homeland Germany. My maternal grandfather was a boilermaker at Sparrows Point Bethlehem Steel. So I guess I have some "old Amercan iron" in my blood!

TGTool
12-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Vis-a-vis several discussions on lathe alignment, I notice on page 4 just past half way down they're doing a two-collar test. Only in this case, wouldn't you know, they're making it as a three-collar test.

thaiguzzi
12-05-2015, 12:21 AM
I've seen and read a lot on the Lathes website by Tony, but never noticed this article. Very interesting, great to see the old photos of quality precision mass production, with no CNC/CAD in sight. Thanx for the heads up.
Mike.