At the risk of inciting flames, can I ask what kind of gloves you like in the shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spongerich
    • Jul 2011

At the risk of inciting flames, can I ask what kind of gloves you like in the shop?

My shop is in my unheated, uninsulated, drafty barn. I have kero heaters, but even with those, some days gloves are a must for me.

I've been using the Maxi-Flex ones for a while and I like them a lot, but since clothing tech moves so fast now, I figured I'd ask what others are liking.

... and yes, I know I'm risking death and worse wearing gloves, but I try to keep my wits about me and I don't allow my hands (or any other body parts) to get too close to the spinny stuff in the shop.
  • A.K. Boomer
    • May 2006

Boxing

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
      • May 2002

Sorry, but the only gloves I even have in my shop are the real thin kind like medical personnel use. They could not drag an ant into rotating machinery.

If you have power, why can't you add heat? Perhaps add some insulated walls if needed so you are not trying to heat the entire barn. I had a shop in Iowa and the winters there are brutal. I have seen the thermometer bottom out for days in a row. But I kept the shop heated. Probably cost me $100 to $150 a month with propane.
      Paul A.​
      s​
      Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• RichR
        • Jan 2014

I use gloves similar to these sometimes:

I use them only in the winter if I need to run a machine. The cold hand wheels just suck the the heat out of my hands. They are a tight
        fitting leather and though not insulated make holding the hand wheels bearable.

Comment

• bob_s
          • Apr 2005

Nitrile.

Surprisingly warm.

And contrary to what know-nothing's like Leo DiCaprio have to say about "global warming" causing Alberta to be warm this time of year. He wasn't here in the mid 70's. I did a clutch job on my father's B210 in an unseated garage with outside temperature of -48C.
          Last edited by bob_s; 12-10-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Dragons_fire
            • Jun 2007

I don't wear gloves while using any stationary power tools. I do wear some old Fox mountain biking gloves when woodworking especially with melamine. I also use the disposable vinyl gloves when painting or using other chemicals. The best advise is to make sue they fit properly so that there isn't any loose fabric to get caught in moving parts.

Comment

• MikeL46
              • Aug 2014

I only use gloves when the lathe/mill/etc. is not running. Then I wear some Mechanix gloves. On a similar note, I banned shop towels from the shop - only paper towels allowed since they will tear before they pull a hand into equipment.

Mike

Comment

• Daveb
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Dragons_fire View Post
                I don't wear gloves while using any stationary power tools. I do wear some old Fox mountain biking gloves when woodworking especially with melamine. I also use the disposable vinyl gloves when painting or using other chemicals. The best advise is to make sue they fit properly so that there isn't any loose fabric to get caught in moving parts.
                I had to read this twice, I thought you wore a bikini for woodworking. Good idea about keeping loose fabric out of the way though.
                Dave

Comment

• Doc Nickel
                  • Mar 2003

I'm almost always wearing a pair of black "Raven" nitrile shop gloves. They're a thin surgical style glove, but that particular brand is by far the most durable I've used. I'd go through two or three pairs a day of the old blue ones, whereas I can get two or three days in a row out of one pair of the Ravens.

I also have some of the typical leather "gauntlets" for welding, a thinner white leather set for TIG welding, and half a dozen pairs of the typical leather-palm, cloth-backed work gloves scattered around the rest of the shop.

Yes, there are times and places where it would be best not to be wearing gloves, but a lot of shops have a "total ban" on them, and that's just stupid. We wear shoes to protect our feet and glasses to protect our eyes, why not gloves to protect our hands?

The secret to not getting tangled in rotating machinery is not "don't wear gloves", it's keep your damn fingers out of the spinny bits!.

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• Dragons_fire
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Daveb View Post
                    I had to read this twice, I thought you wore a bikini for woodworking. Good idea about keeping loose fabric out of the way though.
                    Dave
                    That's exactly how I keep other people out of my shop! No one wants to come in with me in gloves and my birthday suit !

Comment

• bob_s
                      • Apr 2005

That's exactly how I keep other people out of my shop! No one wants to come in with me in gloves and my birthday suit !
                      Voted best " coffee spray of the day"

Comment

• Guido
                        • Apr 2004

'Botts' Walopers' preferred, here.

Comment

• Cuttings
                          • Mar 2013

I was always getting cold hands cranking the metal hand wheels on my manual machine. Recently I decided to modify one of the hand wheels mainly because the crank handle was fixed and it was trying to wear the skin off my hands.
                          I cut the old handle off and drill and hole for the pivot bolt. While hunting around to find something to make a new handle from I notice I had some UHMW about the right size and though I would try that.
                          I not only made a more comfortable handle to hang on to, it isn't cold so I managed to kill two birds with one stone.
                          Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

• mattthemuppet
                            • Oct 2012

easy solution to cold tools - make them all (or their handles) out of carbon fiber. Simple.

Comment

• Doc Nickel
                              • Mar 2003

-So where did you find a retailer that will sell you three gloves at a time?

Doc.
                              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
                              X