PDA

View Full Version : A real good dog, I'm bragging....... OT

ibewgypsie
06-26-2004, 04:34 PM
http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn0405.jpg
This critter was at the corner of my Workshop.

My dog was continuous barking, (I believe he was calling for the big hairy Alpha dog) and he refused to charge it, or run away from it.

I put on some pants and ran out there emptyhanded of course. Carrol handed me the 22 Ruger out the window and I shot it a few times.

Mean copperhead. They run at you. I hate them. If I had not shot it in two nearly I'd skin him and put it in 50/50 ethelene glycol and Glycerin.
http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn0406.jpg
AS it is, My pup is rewarded. He is just too damn smart.

Next to my shop, I had a stump tore out, Mikey said there was half a dozen copperheads run out of it. We killed two with the tractor.

David

G.A. Ewen
06-26-2004, 05:00 PM
David if I lived down your way I wouldn't leave the house without a 12 gauge. I hate snakes. Maybe the frozen north isn't so bad after all.

Happy
06-26-2004, 05:06 PM
I wish I had more snakes around here. the number of snakes, frogs, and toads around here, southern Minnesota, is on the downslide. I like to see them around every once in a while, it lets me know nature is ok. I have not seen a single snake yet this year. lots of dang rodents. Of course, if they get in a building or are poisonous, that is another matter. the only poisonous snakes around here are endangered, and I have never seen one in the wild.

ibewgypsie
06-26-2004, 05:13 PM
GA..

Carrol found two baby copperheads in Our Irish potatoes last year. It was on a visitation weekend and I had my daughter in the house.

Last year I had three snakes inside my shop. One water moccassin that laid on my welding table for two weeks. I thought it was a non-poisonous snake and let him live. When I figured out he wasn't.. He knowed I came to kill him and tried to run. I think animals can see your intent and emotions.
When I got him pulled out of the welding cable and power cord on my roll-around table I was gasping for air like a drowning man. Adrenalin is not always your friend.

Each time I see something really remarkable in my pup. I really appreciate him as a member of my family.

David

wierdscience
06-26-2004, 08:15 PM
You know you really should teach that dog to shoot http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Maybe get him his own holster http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Sure would save you a lot of running back and forth,coarse you might want to lock the gun up when he starts drinking http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Evan
06-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Ever heard of snake loads? 22 cal with pellets the size of sand. Good for about 5 feet. You can't kill someone with them unless you hold it to their head. Came home one day and found a whole bunch of tiny holes in the the wall. My son ($&**(&^$) had loaded up the Ruger 10-22, cocked it and fired it at the wall. His excuse? "I didn't know it was loaded". Yeah, well, he found out what unloading means. Good thing he lives about 1200 klics away now. WTF good is an unloaded gun anyway? A club? The first two rounds in the Ruger are snake loads. Being semi auto it doesn't take long to get to the real ones. Oh yeah, we don't have any snakes here, excepting garter snakes which make my Bear Dog jump about 5 feet up.

ibewgypsie
06-26-2004, 09:18 PM
I used to keep the first load in my 44 blackhawk a snake load.

They had about 3 grains of powder (neglible) and some small shot in a plastic shot-shell you hand loaded into the 44 case.

I shot a crow at 10 feet with one, it shook a feather out flying to the next tree. It squawked about five minutes till I pulled the hammer back and shot it with a XTP hollow-point. The crows all got silent then and flew off in different directions. I was camo painted up and in a tree stand.

Carrol, My wife, the lil yankee girl she is, handed me the 44 thinking it was a 22 this afternoon. I guess I'll have to teach her gun saftey and target shooting.

I love that old 44, have my name engraved in gold on the 7 1/2" barrel. Everything I have ever pulled the hammer back on died. None by old age.. HA...

David

http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn0408.jpg
http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn0409.jpg
http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn0410.jpg
This day sucked, the only thing that fits is my Chevy tail light on the rear fender. I cut fender mounts off the springer, drilled and tapped the springer rocker studs, wrapped the rear struts with paper and installed the rear fender (old biker trick) and.. wrong struts.. damitt...

Quitting for the day now.. The springer is a paugho I purchased for my 4cyl pontiac bike.. No brake, no wheel, no springs for my cop seat.. yet..

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-27-2004).]

sandman2234
06-27-2004, 09:59 AM
I was driving in North Carolina, and the wife called me. Said she was going to get rid of that chocolate lab (Named Harley by my daughter). Seems Harley had kept her up all night barking. I told her to see what the dog was barking at, so about daylight I get another call. Seems Harley is intent of barking at the new front tires on my one ton truck. However when she opened the back door, a new sound was added. Seems Harley had cornered a diamondback and it wasn't very happy. I requested a careful shot around my new tires, but was willing to loose a tire if I had to. 2 shots from a .410 brought the neighbor with his stick, and another neigbor with his 20 guage. 2 more rounds from it before the wife was happy.(If it moves, shoot it again is her snake moto)I had them box it up so I could look at it, since I didnt think diamondbacks were native from here. Sure enough, that is what it was.
Harley earned a spot in an already overcrowded backyard of better dogs by finding and announcing that snake. Probably the only reason she is still with us, since the wife had her slated to move on to other pastures, dispite my affection for labs.
David from jax

ERBenoit
06-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Serving as a part of a property line, there is a section of stone wall, though it is in sad shape. I will usually find at least one copperhead a year in the wall's area. As long as I see the snake before it moves O.K. About two years ago I got one about 2' long. I had gotten it into a trash can, then I showed it to, and instructed my oldest daughter that if you see a brown snake like this leave it alone and let me know. She asked what I was going to do with it. I told her it was a poisonous snake and I had to get rid of it. She knew what I meant and wanted to watch. Shovel behind the head, push with foot, "POP" and tossed the carcass into the street for good measure. She wanted to see it get mashed by cars, though I do not know why. I really did not like, or want her wanting to watch me off the snake though. We get along with the neighbor, the wall serves no real purpose, except for a haven for snakes, the wife wants it gone. If it is a haven for snakes, I told her have at it. The non-venomous snakes I leave alone.

Locksmith
06-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Gee, I guess I'm glad that the only snakes we have here in the city are the two legged kind. But, then again, on second thought....

BJim Shell
06-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Evan Will .22 snake loads cycle for 2nd shot? Won`t in my 22 Highstanderd Military. Jim

Evan
06-30-2004, 01:02 AM
In my Ruger 10-22 they will about 80% of the time but not reliable.

ibewgypsie
06-30-2004, 05:07 AM
Must be that time of year, I am seeing about five striped water snakes at the powerplant a day. If you don't know for sure what they are, don't F__K with them. I thought that water moccasin was a rat snake. Being careful kept me from being bit.

David

pgmrdan
06-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Are snake loads the same as what some people call bird loads? I've heard of .22 bird loads before but never snake loads.

Evan
06-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Dan,

A 22 snake load is basically a 22 cal shotgun shell. The ones I have (Remington I think) have a clear plastic cap the shape of a normal slug filled with tiny shot. You can shoot a snake around your feet and it won't penetrate your boot. Effective range is no more then 5 to 10 feet.

pgmrdan
06-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Yep, sounds like what I grew up calling bird loads.

Wouldn't have done much to the 42" cottonmouth or a couple of the copperheads I killed. I grew up carrying a 12 gauge shotgun to the old fishing hole when I went.

Dad called the place 'Cottonmouth Acres'. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Crazy Ed
07-01-2004, 01:47 PM
When I was a kid in north central Arkansas (only 9 yrs..no relation to B.C or H.C) I saw a copperhead head under a 'feed barrel (for sacks of feed), Ran to house, grabbed the 410, ran back out with Mom about two steps behind. I had her tip the barrel over as I shot the snake. He/she was coiled up under the barrel and I let loose before mom was ready as it started to follow the tip of the barrel and I didn't want it getting to Mom. Mom turned the barrel loose and it settled back down on its bottom. Mom started slowly pulling it back and I walked around to the other side and killed the head with the butt of the shotgun. Now Mom had the barrel tipped up and was trying to see the 'snake' under the barrel as I absently minded tossed it back under as I said, "is the what you are looking for". My ass was sore for a week! Still laugh about it tho.

wierdscience
07-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Ya,bird shot,snake shot,rat shot all about the same.The boss when he first moved in his current apartment some 30years ago kept a .22 loaded with rat shot in his nightstand drawer and a .38 with hollow points next to it.One night he woke up to the sound of a rat screwing around on the kitchen counter(he was half asleep and half drunk at the time as he tells it)so he reached over and thought he was grabing the .22,only he got the .38 instead,he rolled over in bed and took aim,the little bastard was right next to a gallon can of hand cleaner by the sink,he shot at him and got an unexpected recoil and then saw the can of handcleaner go splat! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gifThe rat of course was perfectly safe and lived to loot another day http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

charlie coghill
07-01-2004, 08:41 PM
When I lived in snake country I made my own smake shot shells for a .357mag.
I used 3 grains of bullseye powder and set a copper gas check over the power. Then filled the case with #8 shot and than set another gas check upside down over the shot and crimped the shell to hold the gas check in place. The rattlers did not like it very much.

My wife found a rattler in the yard one time and got excited :eek and emptied a full 6 rounds into the snake. She then let me carry the dam thing out and bury it.
Charlie

ibewgypsie
07-01-2004, 08:48 PM
I have been hanging out watching the Ocoee whitewater rafters go by..
Seen some real interesting things. Things like the guide swimming behind the rafts.. HA.. Seeing chesty ladies nearly black thier own eyes.. Watching the rafts nearly run over the kayackers.. Now that alone is worth watching.

Lots of striped water snakes. The brown ones I see are un-determined what type they are. I rock them the best I can. I have gotten them all scared, when they see someone they run for a hole. They are not stupid.

Something, rocking snakes and getting paid well to do it.

David