PDA

View Full Version : Daydreaming: K.O. Lee Tool and Cutter Grinder

EddyCurr
12-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Although I have absolutely no prospect of making room
for one, I have been thinking about T&CG grinders lately.

In particular, a K.O. Lee B2062H from their "Rushmore"
series holds my attention:

5-1/4 x 37-1/4 table.
7-1/4" crossfeed.
20" of travel
HD grinding head w/ speeds suitable for 7" and 8" wheels
optional B943 motor driven workhead
optional hydraulic table-traverse (3/4" to 20' per min).

More about the K.O. Lee grinders can be found in this Universal
Tool and Cutter Grinder catalog (http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1738/6596.pdf) at VintageMachinery.org

If you own or have experience with this model or a similar
one and don't mind sharing what you know about operation,
maintenance, pitfalls and cost with a tire-kicker, comments
will be most welcome.

Mcgyver
12-20-2015, 02:21 PM
make room, and get one.

I've a Chevalier, my only China tool (well Taiwan i believe) which is a clone of a K O Lee. Did a ground up scraping job on it so performance is great (spindle bearings on it are brand name)

Having a T&CG just adds so much capability. Mine also the motorized workhead which basically makes it a small cylindrical grinder. With a tenths indicator rigged up, you can take work out of the lathe and grind to finish to a tenth.

JoeFin
12-20-2015, 04:32 PM
I have the Cincinnati #2 T&C

Toolguy
12-20-2015, 04:56 PM
I have a Darex E-90 endmill sharpener. It has an air bearing spindle and does a great job with endmills, reamers, drills, etc. The footprint is only 18" square if space is an issue. A real tool & cutter grinder will do more different things and is more versatile. If you are able to make/sharpen your own cutting tools it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. I feel it is a very worthwhile investment. I also have an 8" x 18" surface grinder so between the 2 machines I can do most things a tool & cutter grinder would do.