X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony
    • Oct 2002

HSMXpress anyone? (2016)

I was under the impression HSMXpress had been updated for the 2016 release.
    In particular I was looking for Engrave/VeeCarved text and the Chamfer toolpaths.

Just went through a lot of trouble to download and install and it looks exactly the same
    as before.

If you watch the youtube vids on the new release they lead one (me) to believe Xpress
    also got the 2D updates.. but maybe its just Works?

(Yes Fusion can do this, also for free.. but i really like being able to do it all right inside
    solidworks.. can't do 3D.. but that doesn't happen often for my fool'n around)

Thanks!
  • loose nut
    • Sep 2006

You might explain what HSMXpress is.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• Yow Ling
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
      You might explain what HSMXpress is.
      For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.
      My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

• Tony
        • Oct 2002

My bad -- it's the free version (2.5D machining) of HSMWorks CAM that integrates directly into Solidworks.
        It really is (literally) Fusion 360.. well, other way around technically.. Fusion360 is HSMWorks rebranded.

Fusion is full featured and free (3D CAM, 3+2 axis, etc etc) -- but it works as a standalone.. it's own CAD and CAM.
        HSM works with Solidworks CAD, all in the same package.

I could just use Fusion, but you know.. old dog / new tricks.

HSMXpress does 90% of what I've needed so far, and its nice to have it all right there.

I don't get why they don't give HSMWorks away for free, since you can get it in Fusion. I suppose
        this bugs some folks enough that they buy it.

Comment

• IanPendle
          • Nov 2010

Tony,

"I don't get why they don't give HSMWorks away for free, since you can get it in Fusion. I suppose this bugs some folks enough that they buy it."

I think its because HSMWorks was bought over by Autodesk who are the direct competitors with the owners of Solidworks via their Autodesk Inventor and Autodesk Fusion 360 products. That's my understanding anyway.

Ian

Comment

• Tony
            • Oct 2002

Well that's just uncool is what I say. They get to bickering and where does that leave me?

Comment

• IanPendle
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
              Well that's just uncool is what I say. They get to bickering and where does that leave me?
              LOL! At the time of the takeover, the were some muttered commitments to keep supporting the Solidworks side in any future developments, but I don't suppose that there is as much priority assigned given Autodesk's massive push on Fusion 360.

Ian.

Comment

Working...
              X