PDA

View Full Version : FrogLube

Axkiker
01-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Anyone tried using FrogLube on micrometers etc. I was at a gun show today and ended up buying a bottle of the stuff. Based on what they say it seems like a good candidate for corrosion resistance and lubrication of measuring instruments.

Just curious if anyone was using it or had any thoughts. Worst case I give it to a friend who has lots of guns.

SteveF
01-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Never heard of it before but after looking at the web site and seeing:

FrogLube is the only firearms care products company that uses exclusively bio-based and food grade ingredients to meet existing firearms operating and care requirements.

I would personally not use it as I like my lubricants to be non-biodegradeable and last a while. Probably why I skipped using butter on my AR-15.

Steve

J Tiers
01-03-2016, 02:59 PM
The deal is that mineral oils are "saturated", they have no "double bonds" which can allow the molecules to link together and "gum up". They also are not subject to spontaneous combustion in normal circumstances.

Double bonds are a weak spot, they are unstable and will break and bond to some other atom fairly easily. A lot of bio-oils both vegetable and animal, DO have such double bonds, and so they WILL "gum up", at least if un-treated. Plus, they *may* be subject to spontaneous combustion, due to the energy released when the double bonds break and form a more solid bond.

Overall, with no further information, I'd not get into that stuff. Odds are they have dealt with the potential issues, but I'd like to know that positively before using them.

Also would like to know what other "food grade" materials may be in them. Some may have undesirable features or factors.

Maybe it's the equivalent of BrylCreme for frog hair :D

loose nut
01-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Do you buy it or just throw some toads and a LB. of lard into a blender.

flylo
01-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Be aware it's an organic product & will spoil. I bought a can of the paste & haven't opened it after the friend that recomended it said it went rancid on his guns.

quasi
01-03-2016, 03:34 PM
it is rebadged Soy Lube 100.

flylo
01-03-2016, 04:26 PM
I bet Soy Lube 100 is cheaper.

quasi
01-03-2016, 04:50 PM
yes it is, about 1/3 the price of Frog lube.

Duffy
01-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Another VERY well known "bio-lubricant" is Snake Oil!

fastfire
01-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Tried Frog Lube on several firearms , Over time it will gum-up the moving parts. I put it on the didn't work list.

Arcane
01-03-2016, 07:16 PM
It should be called FishLube...