PDA

View Full Version : Used for?

sasquatch
01-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Was given a piece of aluminum Bronze, 1 1/2 in diameter. What is this metal usually used for? Thanks.

GadgetBuilder
01-07-2016, 09:22 PM
One application is bearings in the retract mechanism of some light planes.

darryl
01-07-2016, 11:53 PM
It is used in training, to let you get the feel of machining it :)

I may still have a piece of that. I hope I don't find it one day and forget the fun I had trying to make something out of it :(

Willy
01-07-2016, 11:54 PM
Yes I have a piece (1/2"x3"x36") also that I'm saving for the ideal application but so far it's still gathering dust. So far any projects for it's use have not shown up due to my projects needing a length of 1 1/2" round bar instead of the flat bar I already have.:)
Just kidding!

A link below of some other uses for this alloy as well as it's properties.

http://www.concast.com/c95400.php

Typical Uses

Automotive weld guns
Fasteners nuts, large hold down screws
Industrial bushings, high strength clamps, gears, valves, bearings, pawl, valve bodies, landing gear parts, worm gears, machine parts, pressure blocks for the steel industry, bearing segments for the steel industry, valve seats, valve guides, pickling hooks, spur gears, heavily loaded worm gears, pump parts
Marine covers for marine hardware, ship building
Ordnance government fittings
Note: Also available in a heat-treated condition.

MrFluffy
01-08-2016, 12:20 AM
Depending on grade, CA104 aluminium bronze I have been told is a great material for skulling a cylinder head (machining out a pocket to take a insert in place of the combustion chamber, and machining a combustion chamber shape with new profiles etc into the insert).
I believe with the CA104 skull, the requirement for valve seats goes away too, however when I priced up enough to do my current engine, it came to a shade over $800 at the suppliers for a suitable length of barstock so its on hold as a project.

gvasale
01-08-2016, 01:25 PM
I used some in the last couple of months to make bushings for a small tower clock.

Toolguy
01-08-2016, 01:30 PM
The flat pieces are often used to make sliding wear surfaces.

dian
01-08-2016, 01:57 PM
how long is it? if 10" or more use it to check how true your lathe turns. (chuck it up, turn it down and measure the taper.)

bborr01
01-08-2016, 02:02 PM
It us used to test your skills as a machinist. It machines about like M4 tool steel. If you decide to machine it run things slow and keep it feeding.

Brian

chipmaker4130
01-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Right on, Brian! I might add, if you try to tap it smaller than 1/4" it might not work (breaks tap). If you tap larger sizes, use a top-quality, sharp tap (I have the best luck with spiral-point taps) and keep your fingers crossed.
On the bright side, it does leave a gorgeous finish when turning.

bborr01
01-08-2016, 03:01 PM
If you need to tap it you might want to use a slightly larger tap drill than usual.

Brian

sasquatch
01-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone the piece isn't real long, i will just chuck it up, and do a few test passes first, i was thinking bushings of some sort.

sarge41
01-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Sasquatch: I have seen it used to make hammer heads. It makes a non-sparking hammer head to be used in places such as refineries or paint lines where explosions are a danger.

Sarge

KiddZimaHater
01-10-2016, 01:19 PM
You'll have fun drilling it. :)
AL-BNZ likes to "Squeeze" drills.
Peck drill, ALOT! And use oil or coolant.
We ran a lot of AL-BNZ for oilfield valve seats, and marine parts.

sasquatch
01-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Thanks Guys. Info appreciated.

bborr01
01-10-2016, 03:35 PM
I often have heard aluminum bronze or "ampco bronze" as being "harder than the hubs of hell". It isn't extremely hard but it sure is tough.

Brian

rickyb
01-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Alumabronze was developed by the British back in WWII. Turns out to be superior to 660 bronze in every respect for most any application. I use it for anything and every thing since I have a good supply.

Rick

John Stevenson
01-12-2016, 05:08 AM
Over here it's known by the official grade of EN Hardaswitchestits.
It's main use is making samples for spark erosion tap removers.

Turning with tipped tools os OK, drilling has to be done slow, sharp drill, sharpened or changed far more regularly than you would think and bags of cutting oil.

Tapping is best done with roll form taps