PDA

View Full Version : OT: a welcome surprise

loose nut
01-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Three of the guys I used to work with for over thirty years and myself, all of us are now retired, get together a couple of times a year for lunch and to shoot the $#!%. Yesterday was one of those days and while we where waiting for our meal, another retiree we worked with showed up with his wife. He came over and said hello and then went off with his wife. Later when we had our bills he was leaving and came by to say goodbye. He also told us he had taken care of our bill, which we/I assumed was just him pulling our collective legs and then he left. The waitress came over and confirmed that he actually had payed. I don't know why he did it but it was a welcome surprise. I guess there are still some gentlemen left on this planet.

Peter.
01-08-2016, 06:31 PM
I guess he felt guilty that he couldn't spend time with his old mates and considered the meal fair recompense and much cheaper than spoiling his wife's evening :)

Who sorted the tip?

flylo
01-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Next time you meet you'll have to invite him, good friends are a real blessing.

Bob Fisher
01-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Next time you meet you'll have to invite him, good friends are a real blessing.
Amen to that flylo, we have a lunch about twice a year, guys I worked with in the 60's or so, last time we had about 50 attendees. Bob.

Mcostello
01-08-2016, 10:30 PM
Anyone that picks up the check would be welcome at My table.

PStechPaul
01-08-2016, 11:09 PM
Many years ago I was with a few friends at a seafood restaurant at the Baltimore Harbor (before Harborplace), and when the waitress brought the check, we discovered that there was a mixup and then Mayor Schaefer had paid our tab. Not the same as a buddy paying intentonally, however.

bborr01
01-09-2016, 09:12 AM
I was told of a similar incident recently by a retired friend. There are a couple of groups of retirees that meet for breakfast once a month. One group typically has about 50 to 70 retirees and the restaurant sets up a buffet for them.

One day a salesman from a Chevy dealer was in there and stopped to visit with the retirees. He passed out his business cards to everyone. When they started to leave they found that the salesman had paid for all of their breakfasts. Over 50 of them.

I'll bet he made a few extra car sales from that gesture.

Brian

flylo
01-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Brian, Did the Pub in your town give you my message a couple weeks ago?

bborr01
01-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Haven't heard anything. Which one?

Brian, Did the Pub in your town give you my message a couple weeks ago?