PDA

View Full Version : Good write up on the ole SR-71

A.K. Boomer
01-11-2016, 10:06 AM
http://tribunist.com/technology/sr-71-blackbird-pilot-trolls-arrogant-fighter-pilot-with-ground-speed-check/

I do not think it's by any means the single greatest aviation story ever told though

Stu
01-11-2016, 11:17 AM
That's a reprint from Air and Space magazine from a while back, they were doing interviews with SR-71 pilots. I agree, nice story, but single greatest?

Stu

RichR
01-11-2016, 11:31 AM
May not be the greatest aviation story ever told, but I thought a couple of the replies from the comments section were pretty funny:

I always liked the one where the SR-71 pilot asks permission to fly at 80,000 feet. The local tower responds that if he can get there it is all his. The sled pilot says "Roger, descending to 80,000".

Then there is the story of the USAF B-52 and the USN F-14 trading maneuvers until the AF BUFF pilot says "Try this" and after the USN fighter jock flies over under and around him and then asks "Try what?" the AF pilot replies "I just turned off two engines."

bborr01
01-11-2016, 12:52 PM
I have always been fascinated with the SR-71 Blackbird. I was finally able to see a real one at the air and space museum in Huntsville, Alabama many years ago. Now I believe there is one in Kalamazoo, Michigan. That is a lot closer for me if I ever want to see another one.

Brian

wierdscience
01-11-2016, 02:09 PM
May not be the greatest aviation story ever told, but I thought a couple of the replies from the comments section were pretty funny:

I always liked the ground speed check story,and the story of how it was made possible is another good one-

How the SR-71 engines work-

https://youtu.be/F3ao5SCedIk

Evan
01-11-2016, 02:23 PM
I think it may well be one of the greatest engineering stories. That machine was designed with good old slide rules and pen on paper and was flying in under two years in the prototype version. Try that today.

Errol Groff
01-11-2016, 03:56 PM
I got to see a SR-71 at the EAA Oshkosh show and then up close at the Udvar- Hazy facility of the Air and Space museum in Washington DC. What an awesome machine!!!

Errol Groff

Evan
01-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Wish I could have seen it. I have been to the Air and Space Museum several times but not since they put the SR-71 on display. I always liked the mirrored Atlas 5 engine display in the museum.

flylo
01-11-2016, 04:27 PM
I have always been fascinated with the SR-71 Blackbird. I was finally able to see a real one at the air and space museum in Huntsville, Alabama many years ago. Now I believe there is one in Kalamazoo, Michigan. That is a lot closer for me if I ever want to see another one.

Brian

Yep they have one at Kazoo & my favorite a DC-3.

RB211
01-11-2016, 05:03 PM
The Air and Space museum now has one of the space shuttles right behind the SR71. As amazing as the SR71 is, the space shuttle takes the show in my opinion.

CarlByrns
01-11-2016, 05:24 PM
The book Sled Driver (by Brian Shul) maybe out of print, but a lot of libraries have it and it's available electronically. It's a good read.

boslab
01-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Oddly I'm lucky enough to have seen a few take offs, RAF mildenhall, once at the air show there it went past with one engine shut down and the other on max, amazing diamonds an all.
The tail fins were racked right over to keep the thing flying straight.
It was terminated too soon, the saddam thing came right after, it's a defining peice of engineering.
I'm kind of sorry it ended, I have a mental list of planes I wish would have kept going
SR71
Concorde
Vulcan
I really do hope a supersonic transatlantic aircraft reappears, we will actually never know the max speed or ceiling of the blackbird, only what it was doing at a quater of a century old, amazing
Mark

garyhlucas
01-11-2016, 06:42 PM
The air force museum in Dayton Ohio has an SR-71 on the floor. It is kind of under the wing of the big supersonic bomber hanging from the ceiling that they only built two of, and one crashed when an F-104 chase plane sheared off it's tail. You could park two pickup trucks side by side in the air intakes! B2? On the other side is an X-15, and outside they have a A10 Warthog. All amazing airplanes.

I figure no military man would give up a plane like the SR-71 unless they are already flying something even better.

Guido
01-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Late 90's you could set your stopwatch when the Aurora would pass over Southern Cal. Several seismograph points would go excited, as a weekly test flight passed over Edwards always after dark, probably in the direction of Nevada. Airforce people, when asked about the regularity, had no explanation. Aircraft never heard again.

And the newer SR72????

Evan
01-11-2016, 07:26 PM
The seismograph readings always pointed at area 51 and they were clocked at about mach 3.5.

wierdscience
01-11-2016, 08:05 PM
The air force museum in Dayton Ohio has an SR-71 on the floor. It is kind of under the wing of the big supersonic bomber hanging from the ceiling that they only built two of, and one crashed when an F-104 chase plane sheared off it's tail.

XB 70 Valkyrie-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCORwUxlNQo

A.K. Boomer
01-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Wow --- some people don't like it when OP's go a little off topic but to me that's what I look for --- Never seen that Video of the XB thanks... talk about a catastrophic F-up.:eek:

CarlByrns
01-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Chuck Yeager had a lot to say about Joe Walker (the F-104 pilot), none of it kind.

Evan
01-11-2016, 09:17 PM
I watched the XB-70 many times as a kid. It flew directly over us and the special double sonic boom always gave it away.

koda2
01-11-2016, 09:51 PM
This video is not new but if you haven't seen it,

Go to this website:
http://www.airplanegeeks.com/2015/11/04/airplanegeeks-375-sled-driver-brian-shul/

Scroll down to the video by Brian Shul, "from butterflies to blackbirds"

Its almost an hour long, but its worth every second. It will get your focus back.

DA

tc429
01-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Chuck Yeager had a lot to say about Joe Walker (the F-104 pilot), none of it kind.
yeager had comments about Scott Crossfield when he died too...I never liked yeager, as a kid timid Scott Crossfield was a hero of mine, yeager seemed more of a showoff/ego tripper...

tc429
01-11-2016, 09:56 PM
I watched the XB-70 many times as a kid. It flew directly over us and the special double sonic boom always gave it away.

I woulda loved to have seen that thing fly... coolest plane ever

dan s
01-11-2016, 10:02 PM
I always enjoyed the original wings episode about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDeAs1m-jeg&index=13&list=FLrnAb5KKg47gsiyfDxo-JJg

ulav8r
01-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Got to see one at the museum just west of Omaha. The local EAA chapter had a field day there, and one of the members was the Air Force officer that selected all the pilot candidates for the program. His talk lasted more than an hour, extremely interesting. He mentioned that it's attitude as displayed would have led to a crash as it could only fly in a nose high attitude.

Optics Curmudgeon
01-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Castle Air Museum in Atwater, CA has an SR-71, if you get there early on open cockpit day you can sit in it.

http://www.castleairmuseum.org/

outlawspeeder
01-12-2016, 12:52 AM
As a Air Force kid in 69 I got to see three of the SR71 takeoff from Okinawa. I can still see the flames licking the ground at rotate.
The one thought that always rolls to the front of my mind is that the SR71 was designed in the early 50s. 60 years ago.

The power of a slide ruler in the hands of Kelly Johnson and Lockheed's Skunk Works. http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/aeronautics/skunkworks.html

CarlByrns
01-12-2016, 07:41 AM
yeager had comments about Scott Crossfield when he died too...I never liked yeager, as a kid timid Scott Crossfield was a hero of mine, yeager seemed more of a showoff/ego tripper...

Scott Crossfield may have been a great pilot but he had a talent for pissing people off. He made some big enemies, notably Yeager and Frank Borman, who both went out of their way to make Crossfield's life miserable (Borman more so than Yeager).

A.K. Boomer
01-12-2016, 09:58 AM
goes with the territory --- I think one thing you can say for certain is "most" of those guys did not get to where they were at by having small ego's

DICKEYBIRD
01-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Here's a good link about the Valkyrie...I could read this stuff all day. But of course I was a young whipper-snapper back in the 50's & used to watch & hear B-36's out of Little Rock drone by way up high over my house. Very unique sound, 6 x 28 cyl recip pushers, 4 jets!

http://xb70.interceptor.com/

RB211
01-12-2016, 01:33 PM
goes with the territory --- I think one thing you can say for certain is "most" of those guys did not get to where they were at by having small ego's

Actually, most of them were lucky to be born with the right genes to clear the medical requirements, and be quick learners. That is what filters out the majority. "Born with the right stuff"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evan
01-12-2016, 01:47 PM
I never got a close look at the XB-70. I wish. But that sonic boom was cool. If you say Da-DUMMmm.... as fast as you can that is what the boom sounded like. Then when I was outside I would look up to the north or south and there it was, heading out or in to Edwards AFB. At that time I lived close to Mount Diablo on the Central Valley side of the Berkeley Hills.

CarlByrns
01-12-2016, 05:14 PM

Yeah- I've studied and read a lot of stuff about the Jet Age/Space Age pioneers. It's safe to say that Crossfield would hit you over the head with his accomplishments and Yeager exploited his 15 minutes to the hilt. Frank Borman is different: he's a humble guy who lets his record speak for him.

boslab
01-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Have you read Yeagers book, the making of an ex astronaut I think the title was, I did read it in the 70s I think, it did captivate me at the time, I knew nothing of the X programme, yaw, pitch and centre of mass, and gravity but I did enjoy the read, as you say he definitely had an ego!
I suppose it's a requirement to strap a rocket on your ass and get shot like an air to air missile into the unknown.
I hear all sorts of rumours about Aurora, I beleive an oil rig worker saw somthing odd over the North Sea, it turned out that he used to be an aircraft spotter for the Royal observer corps or whatever they are called, some pulsed contrail aparently, I wouldent be in the slightest suprised if SR was retired because of a replacement but with a world run by accountants it's not too optimistic, are sati kites that good, suppose with thier price tag they must be.
Mark

CarlByrns
01-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Have you read Yeagers book, the making of an ex astronaut I think the title was

"The Making of an Ex Astronaut " was written by Brian O'Leary about his dissatisfaction with the Apollo program and why he decided against being an astronaut. I haven't read it (I'll be looking for it) but the reviews say that O'Leary bitched about being the only planetary scientist in a program dominated by military pilots, who tend to hold engineering degrees.

You might be thinking of "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe or Yeager's autobiography?

boslab
01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the correction, it was a long time ago, it was a good book btw, we had library's with books in them then, not any more, 50 shades of purvey and other such crap these days.
Mark