PDA

View Full Version : Material Supply Source

Guncraft
01-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Seems like there is a lot of material vendors on the internet. There is not a local source of stock material in my town, so I will have to rely on ordering. Which vendor have you had success with? Will they deal in small quantities? For example, I need a flat piece of aluminum roughly 2" wide, 4' long, and around 3/8" thick. Are simple pieces like that easily obtained?

Thank you!

Andy

Axkiker
01-13-2016, 12:11 AM
Is there no Metals Supermarket in your town ????? If it must be shipped I go with MetalsDepot.com since they ship from Lexington KY.

Guncraft
01-13-2016, 02:05 AM
Nearest Metals Supermarket is 70 miles away. The only place in town has a 300 lbs minimum order....

Andy

fastfire
01-13-2016, 04:34 AM
I use online metals for most needs.

onlinemetals.com

SGW
01-13-2016, 06:38 AM
Lately I've been having good luck finding stock on eBay. I have also used McMaster-Carr, Online Metals, and Speedy Metals. I find McMaster-Carr's shipping charges to be more reasonable than Online Metals.

JoeFin
01-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Would have thought Indiana being part of the Rust Belt would have a few good suppliers but your right and I Googled just to check. The 3 suppliers you actually do have are end users / fabricators / machine shops themselves who are buying in bulk and selling from their stock.

That being said I hate buying metal stock online and having it shipped. Unless I'm buying HUGE quantity and having it shipped
I'm paying a fierce markup. Chromolly tube 1.375 - .080 wall (SCCA Formula Chassis tubing) is tough for me. $5 a ft all over the US except here. My local supply house doesn't stock it and buys back small quantities at $7 per ft from a local chassis builder who buys in bulk through them at $5 per foot.

QSIMDO
01-13-2016, 10:21 AM
Online has a warehouse here in CT...and charge just as much for shipping as they did from their original location!
Yarde Metals was good years ago when you could actually walk in for drops but that's no longer allowed AFAIK.
Had a much more local supplier that was bought out by a larger firm and all their stock...er..."ain't from around here". Dripping of oil, larger pieces made from welding short pieces together, questionable composition, etc.
Recyclers won't let you scrounge anymore.
Metal Supermarkets left Waterbury years ago.
Ebay's really turned into a go-to source, especially for aluminum.

browne92
01-13-2016, 10:52 AM
For small, right now projects, I use ebay. For projects that can wait, I save up and wait for a coupon code to speedy metals.

Some hardware stores have a rack with some metal stock, as does Tractor Supply and Fastenal, if you have those in your area. But those racks seem to get installed when the store opens and never refilled again, so selection is spotty.

Good luck.

sawlog
01-13-2016, 11:55 AM
I have also had excellent luck with E-bay. Put in the search aluminum flat bar and the thickness and see what you get. The price will be close to the same as the online suppliers but the shipping cost is lot less.

I usually do that if I have a project and I have been well pleased.

flylo
01-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Shupan has done a good jod for me. I needed a pc 1"x 12' 6061 solid & they shipped it from Ohio for $40 total last year. http://www.schupan.com/metal-plastic-supplier

Royldean
01-13-2016, 01:58 PM
As already mentioned, for really small one-off orders - McMaster is my go-to. Their headquarters is just an hour or two away, so I can get stuff the SAME DAY if I place my orders early enough!

Tim The Grim
01-14-2016, 04:01 PM
I've had good luck with Stoner's store on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.com/Stoners-Tools-and-Raw-Materials