PDA

View Full Version : Have there been intermittent site outages?

J Tiers
01-16-2016, 02:56 PM
I've been noticing that this site has been unavailable for times varying from a day to a few minutes recently.

It is the ONLY site showing this, so no it's not likely to be computer related.

And in any case, all 3 computers, using XP, Win7 and Win 8.1 DO get to it, just not all the time.

About 5 min ago, it was not working, and now it is working, for instance. As usual, all other sites were fine, just this one was fouled up.

MrSleepy
01-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Glad you brought this up... I lost the site from 6pm UK (about 1pm Boston) on Thursday till late Friday afternoon.

as you say...everywhere else seemed business as usual. Downforeveryoneorjustme had it marked as down , but there did seem to be a few posts made during the time it was unavailable for me. the other village press domains were accessible , so I knew it wasn't a bulldozer this time.

Rob

Mike Nash
01-16-2016, 07:34 PM
I had issues previously and had put the IP address in my hosts file. That worked great until Thursday, Friday. Took it out and restarted browser and it was fine. IP address seems to have changed from before.

chipmaker4130
01-16-2016, 08:49 PM
I'll just say that it is never a surprise when this site isn't available.

bborr01
01-16-2016, 09:00 PM
Yesterday morning when I tried to access the site it was not available. Everything else that I frequent was OK so I'm thinking there is a problem here.

Brian

J Tiers
01-16-2016, 10:13 PM
That, and ONE computer is now refusing to connect.

The otehrs are fine, but for some reason today the one will connect to PM, to any other site, but NOT to this one. I can use the shortcut, or go to the VP magazine site and use their link, it's the same either way.

I DID notice that Google/Firefox was flagging this site as an attack site. But that does not seem to bother the Win7 machine, nor the Win 8.1 machine. The XP machine has decided this site, and only this site, is non-connectable. Odd.

That machine was connecting OK a day or so back. This site does not seem to be on any list now, and the "attack site" designation is no longer displayed.

George Bulliss
01-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Our internet service was changed on Thursday and the disruption was supposed to be only for a few minutes, so I didn't post anything. I've been away at the Cabin Fever show and somewhat out of touch since then, so things may not have gone as smoothly as planned.

J Tiers
01-17-2016, 09:21 PM
Apparently somewhere in the process something that happened marked the site as an "attack site", one that will actively send you malware.....

In my case some piece of software added the site to "hosts", on account of it, totally blocking access with no comment.

George Bulliss
01-17-2016, 09:26 PM
Will pass that info one when I get back in the office on Tuesday.

J Tiers
01-17-2016, 09:32 PM
The marking seems to be gone now, so you may not need to bother....

sarge41
01-17-2016, 10:10 PM
I could not get on this morning about 4:00 A.M. Never thought much about it, thought it is something on my end, but didn't have trouble getting on other sites.

Sarge

MrSleepy
02-18-2016, 07:26 AM
Is the forum having work done overnight US time?.

The last few mornings uk time , I have been unable to contact the site, although I can trace the path all the way to 12.150.35.100..... but by noon uk ...its back working again.

Rob

George Bulliss
02-18-2016, 07:36 AM

The last few mornings uk time , I have been unable to contact the site, although I can trace the path all the way to 12.150.35.100..... but by noon uk ...its back working again.

Rob

No work that I'm aware of, but that doesn't mean much. I too had problems this morning around 5 and emailed IT. Haven't heard anything back yet. Sounds like it's been going on for a bit, I'll let them know.

Euph0ny
02-18-2016, 08:04 AM
I regularly get timeouts when trying to connect to HSM mid-morning Central European Time. I suspect the hosting centre has a maintenance or power-cycle scheduled for sometime in the US nighttime.

dp
02-18-2016, 11:43 AM

Rob

It is frequently unreachable shortly after midnight, Pacific Coast time. The database that holds all the posts has to be frozen for a time while the data tables are dumped to disk for backup and I always assumed that was the cause. It happens on my own web servers, too. High end database servers can be put into logging mode during table dumps for business continuance but commodity servers lack some of those business essentials.