PDA

View Full Version : This site specifically blocked and ONLY this site?????

J Tiers
01-17-2016, 05:42 PM
OK, ALL computers did in fact fail to get here at certain times recently. Two of the three get here fine now.

ONE computer has persisted in not accessing this site and ONLY this specific site since that time.

It happily goes to the HSM site, but if the "forum" link on that site is followed, it times out, cannot see the site. It used to work fine.

A few items about that computer....

1) BOTH IE and FF refuse to go here, suggesting it is NOT a browser issue

2) NO changes in AV software have been made recently, all the AV etc has been the same (aside from definitions updates) for much longer than the problem has existed

3) Firewall and active AV software has been investigated and no site blocking was found. Site blocking has been de-activated with no change in behavior. In any case, the other computers have exactly the same AV and firewall setup, and cause no trouble.

4) The computer in question runs XP, and it is going to keep running it, no need to suggest upgrades. I have others that run 7 or 8.1.

5) I have seen this specific site flagged as an "attack site" recently, although that seems to have gone away. Probably that was why it was "down" for a while. That might have caused it to be flagged and blocked, but I cannot find evidence of that. And. of course, all the other computers run the same stuff with same settings, and have not had an issue.

6) All computers use the same IP and router. The uncooperative one is also the only one with an actual wire connecting it. The others are via wireless.

7) DNS flush not effective.

It's pretty much got to be a specific site block....... any idea where that might be?

dalee100
01-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Hi,

Just a WAG, since I have no real clue as what you've tried. Have you tried a reboot to try and completely flush the stupid from the offending box? Other than that, since this one is hardwired to router, maybe check the router settings?

YMMV and worth what you payed.

Dalee

J Tiers
01-17-2016, 07:11 PM
It's been off and on many times, yes, just as the normal use.

The other machines go through the same router, just via wireless.

DNS flush so far no effect

Mike Amick
01-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Did you temporarily turn off AV .. ? (you did say something was warning of HSM)
Does it say it refuses to go here, or does it just go somewhere else ?
Did you take a peek at your HOSTS ?

J Tiers
01-17-2016, 08:18 PM
It sits and is "connecting" until it times out.

No, I know what you are thinking, the AV has been on, and it's not a hijack virus behavior.

Hosts maybe next, it's a bit of a pain so I hadn't looked at it. I'm not that clear on what it is, anyhow, and I don't like messing with stuff I don't understand well..

But, of course, last place looked at..... The very last entry in the long list was this site..... No idea who/what added it, but obviously some software was unhappy with the status as an "attack site".

danlb
01-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Igt sounds like it may be a matter of a negative DNS cache at the DNS server. The expire for homeshopmachinist.net is set to 1 day, and the TTL is an hour. Some DNS servers will not check for a new record for 24 hours.

Check to see what address each system is using. The command "ping bbs.homeshopmachinist.net" should work on all systems and should give the same address.

There is a possibility that the DHCP server for the wired net is different than the wireless. The "ipconfig /all" command should show which DNS server is being used.

Rebooting the DNS server as well as your XP system may solve your problem.

Dan

danlb
01-17-2016, 11:34 PM
I see in the other thread that you found the problem... a static entry in the HOSTS file.

I recall that last year there was a DNS problem that was solved by some folks by adding the IP address to the HOSTS file, thus bypassing the DNS.

Dan

J Tiers
01-18-2016, 12:37 AM
I mentioned it in this one too....:D.... maybe a little indirectly.....

Something added the site as an attack site to be blocked, so it was obviously ot going to work. Almost missed it, it was at the very end of a huge list added by the AV S/W. I just commented it out and all was well.