X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinny1892
    • Oct 2015

outboard spider for my lathe

Hi I have the grizzly 11 by 26 lathe and im not sure if this is a good idea. First i want to make a spider to hold barrels/ long stock.
    Now this lathe doesn't really have an extended spindle running out the back. my only option is either remove the outer spanner nut to thread the spider on to it or make a new spindle thats a few inches longer. http://www.grizzly.com/products/11-x...Gearbox/G9972Z Hope someone can help thanks!
  • dian
    • Mar 2010

why dont you just stick a piece of pipe in the spindle that has 3 or 4 screws?

Comment

• rws
      • Nov 2003

There is nothing sticking beyond the nut? Can you post a pic?

Comment

• RichR
        • Jan 2014

Get yourself some 1" diameter round wood stock. Drill it lengthwise to match the piece you are looking to support. Saw it in half
        lengthwise. Place it over your stock and push it most of the way into the spindle. Secure with a hose clamp. This way it won't
        mark the piece you are working on.

Comment

• softtail
          • Mar 2008

Hard to tell from link pics. Maybe make a new spanner nut/spider combo (black in the pics). Or as posted make one that slides inside although that eats up valuable real estate.-ST-

Comment

• RussZHC
            • Mar 2010

More or less what softtail said ^^^

You are trying to gain some real estate so you have to do it any way you can (same issue on my early Sheldon to the extent there is no room for an actual lock nut originally, spacers and what was there can be thinned down considerably and still be fully functional though). Based on the photo of that area on the Grizzly site, it appears as if there are two locking rings (set up like when you double nut something) so, having your spider do double duty by using the same amount of thread space as that outer ring should not be an issue.
            IF you need/want more, the next thing I would look at would be the pulley in board of that second lock ring, if it is thick enough, you could counter bore out part of that thickness and make a new lock ring that used holes for a pin spanner rather than notches on the edge so you could still install it and then also do the previous idea of the spider doing double duty...that gets you whatever the total thickness of those two original lock rings was, you can measure this first so as to know if that is enough space...the next idea, to me would be an internal version but does that not sort of defeat the reason for the spider? I assume the sizes you want to put through the bore of the spindle will be near that limit as well?

Edit: the bold part about my Sheldon was an after thought since if those lock rings on your lathe are aluminum, it might be possible to make thinner versions out of some tougher steel and still keep full function (thread count and strength thing?)
            Last edited by RussZHC; 01-23-2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Jaakko Fagerlund
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by RichR View Post
              Get yourself some 1" diameter round wood stock. Drill it lengthwise to match the piece you are looking to support. Saw it in half
              lengthwise. Place it over your stock and push it most of the way into the spindle. Secure with a hose clamp. This way it won't
              mark the piece you are working on.
              That doesn't allow for adjusting the blank in any way nor does it hold it tight.
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

• vinny1892
                • Oct 2015

thanks I think im going to try with the spider doing double duty due to the fact that i dont want to lose any bore space.

Comment

• Rich Carlstedt
                  • Jul 2001

Remove the pulley Nut and replace with a new home made nut that is 3 inches long (made from pipe) and theaded enough to lock the pulley.
                  Drill and tap the set screw hole at the other end
                  rich
                  Green Bay, WI

Comment

• gstprecision
                    • Mar 2012

Yours is gonna be easy. Exactly like Rich Carlstedt said.

Check the one I made on my old lathe. I threaded to replace one of the lock nut, but I had lots of pulley in the way.
                    Well I finally finished and installed the spider on my 10x18 Chinese lathe. I had to downsize lathe last year and could not go really bigger. I've been doing this spider on and off for about 3 months now. It was an ackward place to have a spider installed here is why: Yep the pulley runs...

Hope this helps

GST

Comment

• vinny1892
                      • Oct 2015

Thanks it did help I hope a have a little more clearance so I can change my belts with out having to take the spider on and off everytime

Comment

Working...
                      X