• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhe.1973
    • May 2011

Request help w/Swiss blueprint w/metrics & German

Hi Everyone,

I am finishing some carbide burnishing wheels for a Swiss pivot burnishing machine. The company has been out of business for a few decades so I can't call them! I have a couple of blueprints from 1954 that are helping me, but there seems to be a slight variation between machine spindle sizes.

The 10mm bores are what is critical and I am not too sure as to how to translate/interpret the bore tolerance. Both wheels should fit the same on the spindle stub, but each print is written in a different way for the respective wheel.

Here are the areas in question from the two prints:

Is anyone able to tell me what the bore tolerance is in inch dimensions? Probably just a few tenths, but I would like to know for sure.

Also, in the top view, Google Translator comes up with:

"Unscrew hole after Meul outer diameter" for "Loch nach Meul Aussendurchmesser"
    ausdrehen

and "Ecke erst bei Montage ausdrehen" becomes "Corner until assembly unscrew"

Just doesn't sound quite right!

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide!
    Last edited by jhe.1973; 01-07-2018, 12:55 AM.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

• Bob Fisher
    • Jan 2006

If it's the 10 mm dia, what I see is +.008mm, -0mm. By my thinking, that's .0003in, minus nothing. Bob.

Comment

• jhe.1973
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
      If it's the 10 mm dia, what I see is +.008mm, -0mm. By my thinking, that's .0003in, minus nothing. Bob.
      Thanks Bob, that's what I was thinking and it corresponds to the arbor I made last year (from a borrowed wheel) and the spindle on my machine is right at .0003 inch smaller.

The way the bore tolerance is given in the top view is what is throwing me the most though. I think it might have something to do w/H6 vs. M6?
      Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

• ikdor
        • Aug 2009

They're just standard ISO tolerances
        The top one is 10 M6, so 9.985 to 9.996mm
        The bottom one is 10 H6, which is 10.000 to 10.008mm
        Divide by 25.4 to get dimensions in inches.

Ecke erst bei Montage ausdrehen, means that the corner is machined only during/after mounting
        Loch nach Meul Aussendurchmesser ausdrehen, could mean something like "machine the hole to/after the outer diameter of the mouth", not sure if that helps.

Where are the real Germans?

Comment

• jhe.1973
          • May 2011

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
          They're just standard ISO tolerances
          The top one is 10 M6, so 9.985 to 9.996mm
          The bottom one is 10 H6, which is 10.000 to 10.008mm
          Divide by 25.4 to get dimensions in inches.

Ecke erst bei Montage ausdrehen, means that the corner is machined only during/after mounting
          Loch nach Meul Aussendurchmesser ausdrehen, could mean something like "machine the hole to/after the outer diameter of the mouth", not sure if that helps.

Where are the real Germans?
          Thanks ikdor, you are a big help! I have run into this w/Google Translator before w/technical terms which seem to have their own interpretations and often these terms aren't standard enough.

Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

• Mcgyver
            • Mar 2005

do we get to see the Swiss carbide wheel burnishing machine?
            located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• jhe.1973
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
              do we get to see the Swiss carbide wheel burnishing machine?
              Thought you would never ask:

The carbide wheel goes under the guard w/the coolant hose going to it.
              Last edited by jhe.1973; 01-07-2018, 12:59 AM.
              Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

• Mcgyver
                • Mar 2005

what a beauty....I was figuring it had to something nice with Swiss and burnishing involved.

it looks a bit like a largish version of a watch staff burnisher....but too big for watches. its use is general burnishing of hardened shafts/staffs, or something specific?
                located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• jhe.1973
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                  what a beauty....I was figuring it had to something nice with Swiss and burnishing involved.

it looks a bit like a largish version of a watch staff burnisher....but too big for watches. its use is general burnishing of hardened shafts/staffs, or something specific?
                  I haven't used it yet as it needed a wheel.

I did obtain a bunch of factory info and understand that it can be used for pivots, shoulders, pinion faces and even the length of an arbor that falls into the lengthwise travel of the left spindle that holds the arbor being burnished. This spindle can be moved left & right (long lever on left) as the burnishing spindle is held down with the operator's right hand (right lever).

It was designed more for manual production use, but I know of a couple of custom clock builders who use one.

I think it is a beauty too - as most Swiss machinery is!
                  Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

• Euph0ny
                    • Sep 2011

Ikdor nailed it. I can read the German, but can't add anything to what he said (except the spelling - it's "Maul", meaning "mouth", not "Meul")

Comment

• janvanruth
                      • Nov 2013

Meul is a VERY archaic, think medieval, word in German for Maul, meaning mouth indeed.
                      That however does not explain the other " 58 n. Meule", Meule beeing the plural for Meul.

This was written in 1954 in Switserland so possibly it was a native french speaker that made a mistake in writing German.

Comment

• Euph0ny
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by janvanruth View Post
                        Meul is a VERY archaic, think medieval, word in German for Maul, meaning mouth indeed.
                        That however does not explain the other " 58 n. Meule", Meule beeing the plural for Meul.

This was written in 1954 in Switserland so possibly it was a native french speaker that made a mistake in writing German.
                        Wow. Interesting Thanks! Now I wonder if they meant French "meulé", which would be "ground", as with a stone.

BTW, when I speak French, French people occasionally think I am Swiss-German - apparently I speak French correctly, but with a very slight German-speaking accent. Probably because I speak more German than French these days...
                        Last edited by Euph0ny; 02-01-2016, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• jhe.1973
                          • May 2011

Thanks to all viewers and contributors!

Hi Everyone,

Eveyone's input has been a big help to me to complete these wheels.

Thanks especially to ikdor, Euph0ny and janvanruth for your careful reading of the drawings to pick up details in the wording that might have escaped a quick once over.

I truly appreciate the sincerity you gave to this!

Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

• MyrtleLake
                            • Nov 2015

A beautiful machine, Jim. I would love to see a workpiece that was finished on it when you get it working.

Comment

• jhe.1973
                              • May 2011

Happy to do so.

Should be able to finish next week as this one is filling up fast.

I have some arbors that are already hardened so they will be perfect for a try out.
                              Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X