PDA

View Full Version : Value of Old truck? Shop truck

ibewgypsie
06-21-2004, 04:42 PM
I am looking at a 66 ford 1 ton, I don't need a new shop truck, but would like something to pull a trailer and mount a boom lift onto. (read that not screw up a new one) The bed has been shortened right up next to the spring hangers, a very solid old truck.
http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn0397.jpg
http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn0399.jpg
http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn0402.jpg
The motor is rebuilt, a monster 390, 4 speed granny transmission, new clutch. Flatbed needs new wood, has metal over it. Runs good, brakes problems thou. (no brakes, wheel cylinder)

Solid body, no dents and light surface rust in a few places. Tires are so-so, been sitting quite a while.

I prefer a older work truck. Simple to work on. I want a flatbed tire lift, possibly a wheel lift using a long lift jack. This one right now has a 2 1/2" ball and sling for a car lift.. *no winch, no boom. It is short like a wrecker.

I need something to go get steel, don't need a primo.

ANY clue on the value? I offered him some tattoo equipment and inks, about $500 in value trade.. (he used to work for me)

I have messed up my Lowrider truck pretty bad working out of it, It is not totalled, but needs a good hose job.. My buddy Mikey just went and got him a new big ford F150? w/V6.. He is happy, thou he has had it in the body shop twice now.. (actually using it) They are 12k...

David
http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn0396.jpg

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-21-2004).]

Rustybolt
06-21-2004, 04:51 PM
From the looks of it and all that you say is wrong, he's stupid not to take the $500.00 in goodies.

pgmrdan
06-21-2004, 05:55 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

Mark Jones
06-21-2004, 06:09 PM
If its rusty on top it's twice as rusty underneath.
all the best......mark

sandman2234
06-21-2004, 06:35 PM
I have an old Ford,(1971) with the 390, ceramic clutch to a 4 speed granny. Durn thing refuses to quit. I paid $500 for it back in 1987 and could probably get my money for it anytime I wanted. I have extra rearends, transmissions, and who knows what else for it, just keep collecting the parts when they are available.
I think I would look around at something a little bit newer, since that era of parts is about gone from the junk yards. Find something running and you might get it for about the same money as you will have in it to get that one running.
However, trades do sometimes have their advantages, if your not loosing anything by trading one pile for the other.
Your going to have problems getting anyone to work on the rims, since they are split rims. A lot of shops just won't touch them,(insurance reasons) so figure on looking for another set of wheels, either 16 or 16.5. Price the tires if you planning on doing much loading and hauling. I have 16 on the front and 16.5 on the rear.
Chevy and Dodge wheels can be modified to fit, without too much trouble, but I prefer to stay with the Ford wheels.
I figure mine to be worth a grand if I took the Jib Crane off it, but I might be dreaming.
David from jax

ibewgypsie
06-21-2004, 07:57 PM
I actually think it is a pretty good deal for what I want out of it. I can be driving it for about $600 in parts at tops..

The rims are one piece. My neighbor runs a scrap yard, he has had plenty of 2wd and 4wd front and rear axles/parts laying around. He has converted a dozen old 1 tons to 4wd..

I am not thrilled with the 390.. the last one I owned was in a 1/2 ton and a GASHOG to boot.

The cab floor is solid, the boots in the doors are solid, the underhood is solid.

I actually think If he goes through with it, if I can get it moved this week, I'll jump in, and sell the old 54 ford coupe in the yard.

That leaves me with a 4.6/lincoln parts car.

David

pgmrdan
06-21-2004, 09:21 PM

jfsmith
06-21-2004, 10:33 PM
If it was close to me, I would give $500 for it, and maybe some other stuff, that is worth something, but didn't cost me that much.

Those trucks were built to do things that SUVs never thought about. They are not comfortable for cross country driving, I know I drove my 69 from Washington state to Georga.

It would be great to rebuold and then use with a built in hoist to pickup stuff. I am droowling over this possiblity, I may have to find one of my own.

Jerry

sandman2234
06-21-2004, 11:17 PM
I drove mine up north of Charleston when Hugo hit, to give a hand (back when I had a lot more vacation than I do now)
I brought a load of firewood back, just to keep from unloading it up there. I added a 45 gallon tank to one side since I didn't know how far gas stations would be apart. It got 7 mpg loaded and empty. I didn't push it, and it will run about 75 before the fenders start flapping.
David from jax

Forrest Addy
06-22-2004, 12:05 AM
My youngest niece calls my truck WUPU (world's ugliest pick-up). It's a superficially neglected mechanically well maintained 1970 3/4 ton Chev Camper Special. I once used it to hauled a 5400 lb Cincinnatti shaper and it's hauled gravel and fill to the one yard mark any number of times.

It's a very ugly and utterly reliable old rig and nobody want to steal it. I can load casting and bar stock on the without a qualm. Mine is a perfect shop truck. Only weenies absolutely have to have a shiney late model POS with twenty cupholders a 500 watt sound system to impress the rubes.

Real men understand value Vs cost. They'll drive enything so long as it's cheap reliable and strong - and cheap

wierdscience
06-22-2004, 12:30 AM
Dave,we(my brother and me)had a 63 chevy 1/2ton,ugly didn't even begin,it had all color paint alone with the chevy cancer,but it had a rock solid 230 straight 6 with the three speed crash box,it also had a truck brake compressor with a 12volt clutch with a reciever under the seat.

We gave $250 for it working order,my dad drove it back and forth to work for three years,I drove it to school and work,my brother took it to work and ran three nail guns off it for about six months,it drank oil,sipped gas and the only thing we did to it was tires and one starter.When we got rid of it we still got $600 back out of it,some days I wish I had it back.

Ya its a little rusty,but them old Fords don't rust near as fast as the old Chevy's,better steel in them bodies.
Nothing wrong with the 390,solid engine,set the carb with a vacuum gauge to improve milage,me if I needed a good work truck I would jump on it,plus its a 1 ton,they don't change them up near as often as the smaller trucks,lots of stuff will interchange.

jim davies
06-22-2004, 01:55 AM
If'n you don't like the 390, a small block chevy slips right onto the mount brackets, all you have to do is change the rear mount some. Same for a 440 or 383 chrysler. Use the small rectangular 340 69-ish mount rubbers on 62-70 or so B body engine side mount brackets.

John Stevenson
06-22-2004, 03:55 AM
IBEW,
Are you sure you want this as another project.
It don't look very shiney to me http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

ibewgypsie
06-22-2004, 04:46 AM
Now John:

I know where the sparkly paint store is..

David.. HA...

www.pullapart.com (http://www.pullapart.com) ' these people had double hump heads at "junk" prices... a outlet in Atlanta..

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-22-2004).]

wierdscience
06-22-2004, 08:38 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jim davies:
If'n you don't like the 390, a small block chevy slips right onto the mount brackets, all you have to do is change the rear mount some. Same for a 440 or 383 chrysler. Use the small rectangular 340 69-ish mount rubbers on 62-70 or so B body engine side mount brackets.</font>

Sacrilege!Blasphmy! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Moses wandered in the wilderness for 40 years,why?Buying parts for his Chevy http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

sandman2234
06-22-2004, 08:43 AM
I bought a wrecked 1979 Corvette, that was totaled beyond your wildest dreams. Used car dealer ended up repo-ing after the guy went to the hospital.I gave him 2 grand for it. It didn't have the original motor, one from a truck. Snatched the heads off it and sold the motor for half that. Rear end got used in the wife's.
I kept those heads standing in the corner for years, finally sold them 2 years ago. Got the rest of my money back from the sale of them. They had been painted the same color as the motor, so the used car dealer didn't pay them much attention. Sometimes things are not what they appear to be.

They were aluminum.

John Stevenson
06-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Good job he hadn't got one of those butt ugly Cruisers he wouldn't have got back yet. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Saw and advert on Yahoo the other day for a Dodge Durago. Just when you though they couldn't get uglier they bring this out.
Looks like a smash between a 1960 Merc and a London Taxi

Alistair Hosie
06-22-2004, 10:38 AM
I would tend to agree with John but remember in David's hands this could be made a real winner ,of that I have every confidence!. But Dave it's not a short term thing do you have the time ?seem's to me your time is pretty much spent out. Alistair

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 06-22-2004).]

gundog
06-22-2004, 12:13 PM
I would run as fast as I can in the other direction. I have bought trucks like this before not the same model but in the same condition. There is way too much rust to deal with. It was said above twice as much rust under right on. If the truck has not ran in a few years that rebuilt motor could be junk moisture in the cylinders through an open exhaust valve could ruin a cylinder. The gas tank most certainly could have rust problems. If the truck was a daily driver and it looked like that I would go for it. It is not the looks but the fact it has sat in a area with a lot of moisture. If you do buy it good luck I hope you have better luck than I have in the past.

I bought a 63 chevy same kind of shape with 23000 original miles. I figured the engine would be good right, wrong. After getting into it and seeing all of the things that needed to be fixed and the cost, and that was doing all the work myself, I junked it at a fine loss. I did not learn on that one and bought a jeep that just needed a little work $8000 dollars later it could be driven.

Forrest Addy
06-22-2004, 04:38 PM
You gotta be careful when you buy rusty old vehicles. A guy I knew bought an old oyster truck. It spent its life hauling oysters from the dredge to to the shucking plant. 12 hours a day in salt water for 30 years. They parked it when the bed got polluted but some years later so it sat in the weather.

After 20 years or so they put an ad in the paper 1941 1 1/2 ton IH flatbed... some rust. Well my buddy bought it. He loved it. It still ran so I followed him as he drove it home over a rough road.

Two generations of salt water and neglect had taken its toll. The rust flew off in choking clouds until there was nothing left but the paint. That trapped hot air from the exhaust and the truck got lighter, then bouyant. My buddy bailed as it floated across the road and over a fence. So with the engine still running and trailing more clouds of rust the damn truck floated off over the grazing cows, over the trees across the pasture, and on to the wild blue yonder to hinder air nagivation to this day for all I know.

$200 gone with the wind.

sandman2234
06-22-2004, 05:00 PM
We don't get near the ice in the winter that you guys get up there, so rust isn't as big a problem, since they don't salt the roads, and last time I looked, Tunnel Hill wasnt' near the ocean so beach crusing probably isn't a problem. I think just general deteriorating will be the problem, but the Gypsie is smart enough to handle that.
David from jax

gundog
06-22-2004, 05:55 PM
My 64 chevy was from Fresno, Ca. 12" average rain fall no ice in the winter. The worst thing you can do is leave a vehicle in the weather without running it for years.
I thought the oil pressure gauge was wrong because it read 0 but the engine ran as smooth as any I have ever heard. I dropped the oil pan and pulled the rod and main caps to find no babit left on the bearings and the crank was worn beyond repair. The cylinders had over .100 wear. I still don't know why it ran so smooth. I would use the # you think it will cost to fix it and triple it that will be closer to a real amount. That moisture that caused the rust also will attack the brakes, electrical system etc. If it has been sitting long the seals on everything dry out and get hard. I am very particular about the things I drive and use mechanically speaking. I don't care about the looks but I think the work to bring this rig into good shape far exceeds $600. But I could be all wet this is just my experience maybe I just have bad luck.

With all that said there is a lot of satisfaction to fixing up an old rig take some before and after pictures and keep a scrap book.

ibewgypsie
06-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Actually, I thought for a hour or two about pulling the motor-transmission and putting in the lincoln 4.6/overdrive/computer.

I sure hate to pull out something that runs smooth. Even if it has points and a carburetor.

I have swapped a few before. In this body you can put anything they make into it. Even a old schoolbus motor and allison transmission. The perfect tow vehicle gets 25mpg unloaded. You can buy a school bus with new diesel/Allison for $1000..

No phone call waitiing on me, I guess it is all for Naught. Well I sure ain't calling him, the price will go up..

The body is as good as any 80's model truck I have looked at. Don't let the surface rust on the grill fool you.
David

IOWOLF
06-22-2004, 06:15 PM
I AM PAYING OVER $500.00 A MONTH FOR MY 04 F150. AND AROUND HERE ANY RUNNING, DRIVING AMERICAN MADE PICKUP IS WORTH 5 BILLS.

wierdscience
06-22-2004, 07:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
Good job he hadn't got one of those butt ugly Cruisers he wouldn't have got back yet. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Saw and advert on Yahoo the other day for a Dodge Durago. Just when you though they couldn't get uglier they bring this out.
Looks like a smash between a 1960 Merc and a London Taxi</font>

And further continuing the traditon of Dodge building the uglyest cars on the road http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif They have this strange affliction of building some good looking vehicles for a few years and then zeesh!!!!Remember the K car?

ibewgypsie
06-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Some people say the dodge body styles are the best in the world.. they bring people "cult" cars like the viper, the cruiser, the (what the hell of the name of the 2 seater 32ford clone with v6?_)

I think they had Itailian design help in the 80s.. Most americans are so Stupid they buy by appearance, not mechanical potential.. (lil kid jumping up and down, gimme gimme gimme)

Most the cars, well.. they had mechanical problems and electrical nightmares, remember the talking Lebararon? A nightmare.. My buddy drove that car with it saying.. A door is ajar for hundreds of miles..

I had a 68 dodge dart gts 383 4 speed, no radio, no heater, all business car for a while, it got terrible gas mileage but would smoke the tires in all 4 gears.. CULT...

David...

pgmrdan
06-22-2004, 09:31 PM

ibewgypsie
06-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Prowler was what I was trying to think of.. a roadster for someone who don't want a real one..

Them are expensive for what they are.. I'd want a real 32 highboy.. with a real v8.. I got a woodie at the 32 w/4 wheel drive on tele.. 0-60 in 4 seconds..

David

sandman2234
06-22-2004, 11:01 PM
I used to swear by mo-par, now I swear at them.
'68 was my favorite year, but with the Chargers. 318 auto with A/C stayed around the longest, but that 426 with the four speed was the fastest. Dual cross ram 4 barrel carbs... pass anything on the road except a gas station.
David from jax

wirewrkr
06-23-2004, 10:54 AM
As a retired auto and light truck mechanic, all I can say is...RUNAWAY! while you still can. You will be marrying that poor thing.
Opening up a can of ugly worms, so to speak.
Robert

ibewgypsie
06-23-2004, 07:16 PM
Already got a offer for some Chrome simulators.

He still has not called me.. I guess the deal passed.. I got all worked up for nothing..

Looking at older (80's) trucks, they are all used pretty well. Most are not as nice as this older one..

A 1 ton is a industrial vehicle, meaning it was actually used as designed.

David

ibewgypsie
06-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Bummer:

JD called me tonight, $1200 cash, no trade. Too much, thou it is a solid old truck. It is not the "body" style I dearly love.

There is a 55 effie on a 79 one ton chassis on ebay. It is about 30 miles from here. His reserve in 4500 thou. The underhood looks like a rats nest, otherwise it is a pretty nice truck. Fresh paint, chrome simulators. (outside my budget) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2482486892&category=39416

Going to look tomorrow at a 85 3/4 ton with V8/auto welding flatbed. Nothing nice, nothing to be proud of, just basic truck.. Even super metalflake would not wake that lame old truck up.. Perhaps it is useful enough to purchase thou.. we'll see. 1200.. I'll offer him less. I will not have to redo this one to use it.

My poor old Lowrider needs a break. The shocks are shot out again...

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-25-2004).]

ibewgypsie
07-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Didn't end up with a flatbed, A 90 ford.
http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/Ford%20Truck/000_0573.jpg

What I ended up with, A HSM members truck. I got a bargain in it and I appreciate it. Winchman babied the truck, never looks like it was abused and I got a lot of goodie left to use out of it. Used NO oil on the trip home no vibration at 80.. good ... I did notice it has some carbon buildup in the heads..

WE had to go to Savannah for a few days after all I was only a Hun-twenty miles away. NOW I am broke.. again.. Ohh well, shop money well spent.

Thanks Roger..

David

Alistair Hosie
07-05-2004, 07:32 PM
David that looks more like it!!! though do me a favour next time you go to Savannah Georgia, take this old Scotsman with you .
I love that place been a few times also liked fort Augustine in Florida.
Ah the good old days! when my youngest boy EWEN goes to university shortly,I am going a little travelling again can't do it now as he's home full time still the schools are closed here now for summer won't be long Alistair keep that machine polished Truck I am talking about http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Mark Jones
07-05-2004, 07:54 PM
That looks a good un
All it needs is a good cut and polish and it will look like a new one
well done
all the best....mark

gundog
07-05-2004, 08:41 PM
David I like that one much better than the last one. Nothing better than a good ol truck except a good ol gal. I guess I am lucky I have both.
Mike

wierdscience
07-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Plus its still the right make http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

ibewgypsie
07-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Now Weird.. I got this 350 4 bolt main engine that has been in Seven vehicles. Last one was a Monza Spyder with Iroc 5/speed. That was too much for it's valve springs and took them out. It's got a set of Sig Erson springs in the heads now.

A chevy made in 1972. It does need rebuilding now. A bore job and boiled out. It went 160 in a 64 El Camino w/factory 3.50 gearing. Slung the belts out of 3 of 4 tires, burst the radiator at the top tank seam, cracked both transmission lines. No problems with engine that time thou.

Used to be you built a motor then hunted a body to put it into. Chevys have more parts than any other brand.

I have been almost converted to a ford man thou with work trucks. Both mine are now, Ranger and F150.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 07-06-2004).]

Alistair Hosie
07-06-2004, 05:13 AM
David you Americans do everything back to front heck you even drive on the wrong side of the road.
I can't fathom it here in the uk trucks and vans are next to worthless when older, and cars seem to hold their price pretty well, as with you guys cars ar cheap as anything and old trucks keep their prices till the end and beyond.
Since you are not going to buy that one now I will say what In truly thought.
I did not wan't to hurt your feelings then but that was a real mess.
No doubt you could have made it a real beauty and everything as I know in my heart you have the talent to do anything you put your mind to , but here in the UK a truck like that would have to be paid to tow it away .Sorry that is the truth and I know I am talking to you like a father which I have no right to,but I am glad you never got it cos I feared you would be killed in it!!! sorry but I was a little worried about you there thought you'd been drinking the tatoo paint http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Alistair

ibewgypsie
07-06-2004, 05:36 AM
Alistair..

Nahh.. Old trucks are neat, solid old bodies are rare. We salt our roads here and the "rot" eats them away.

I love old round fendered cars and trucks. They lack the Sexyness in the new models.

A old restored vehicle goes up in value, not down like a newer once. When the body is solid, the frame is good, it is a easy fix, just smear a little paint on it and a newer engine.

The old 54 ford car in the back yard is waiting on me to put the cherry picker back onto the bumper of the 4x4 truck to swap the engines out. It needs paint and a lot of love too.

Educated investment is a good thing with old vehicles. Not being realistic makes you end up with something that takes Years to complete.

I sure would've liked to have had that 55 ford truck on the one ton chassis. BUT, too expensive.

Carrol can drive this truck I bought just fine, it evan has Air conditioning.
David

Alistair Hosie
07-06-2004, 05:47 AM
David I like the old round ones too,I nearly bought one in Florida once and had it shipped over.
The guy offered it to me for $5000 cash it was a beauty needed nothing doing that was ten years ago though.
I took cold feet thinking about all the customs hassle turns out I should have gone ahead but that's life.
I know what your saying pal but if you feel you have the time I would say ok go for a chssis down rebuild but your a busy, busy, man!
Anyway the missus will get a new vehicle that will bring smiles all round http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Alistair

wierdscience
07-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Dave,the reason there's plenty of Chevy parts is becuase you need plenty http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I never got more than 20,000 miles out of a Chevy,with the exception of an old straight six,them were good engines,the rest were just too light.I'm working on my old 366 in my winch truck,ain't blown it up yet,but then again I don't drive it much http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I was a fan of oldsmobile thou,but they have quit making them so GM is now dead to me,seems they always get rid of the good labels.

ibewgypsie
07-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Never saw a 283 wore out. I did bore one out to 301 once.

The old 265 crankshafts had little counterweights so we used them to build high winding motors with aluminum flywheels and rods. They sure would run high rpms. for a while. I'd have the block decked, shave the heads, run flat tops or TRW custom dome pistons.

I guess Chevys have a higher resale value for some reason. I had a 85 chev 454 tow vehicle and a new 99 Ranger, guess which was higher in the bluebook? I think this was in 2000 or 2001.

This time, I got a pretty good truck, the 300 six has a good rep with me, they used to have sodium filled valves in the head that were $38 a piece tho. Let a stupid apprentice drive one and you will buy some valves. It runs tight piston to valve clearances. I cried for a week. Mine had a gear drive cam, pretty reliable but gas mileage sucked.

Not so sure about this ones mileage yet, it needs a full service, plugs wires, caps and all. I sure felt funny driving the LIL lowrider this morning to work after being in the F150 all weekend.

David

wierdscience
07-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Not used to the wide open spaces huh http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

That new ride is is an TFI(THIN FILM IGNITION)model with multiport injection?If it is it should give you 14-18 pretty good and as far as dependable goes my uncle has that very truck with over 300,000 on it,ain't missed a lick.