PDA

View Full Version : Semi OT: Chevy Camaro tonight

goose
02-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Set your DVR ! How it's Made, Dream Cars - tonight the Chevy Camaro. On the Science channel.

flylo
02-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Wish I could see that, my 1st car was a '69 Camaro Pace car convertable, only made 500.

sasquatch
02-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Should be interesting, my faves are the 67 - 70 camaros, Specifically the 67's with that sweet little 302 engine and a four speed.

Joe Rogers
02-04-2016, 01:03 PM
I'll have a 69 please! In Z28 trim if I can dream...
Joe

brian Rupnow
02-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Back in the day, I used to drag race my 1960 Chev Impala with high performance 283 against Camaro's running 396's, and about half the time I could beat them. The Camaro had such a small amount of car actually hanging out past the center of the rear axle, you could break the rear tires loose without even thinking about it when the lights came down. My Impala, on the other hand, had about five foot of car hung out past the rear axle. I could red line the engine, drop the clutch, and literally not spin a tire. It was like being shot from a cannon. Meanwhile the Camaro guys would be still on the line doing an awesome burnout while I had pulled a five car hole-shot on them. When they did hook up though---OH MY GOD!!! About half the time my hole-shot would get me across the line about one car length ahead of them, and about half the time they would whup my ass. If you're old enough to remember what this felt like back in the day, well god bless you!!! I get that totally squirrely vibe going, just typing about it!!!----Brian

sasquatch
02-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Lol, Been there Brian!! Great memories!

Mcgyver
02-04-2016, 05:19 PM
I had a '68 RS convertible I did up. hot rodded the engine, converted to standard, new body panels, new top, re-did the whole car. At the time i was quite impressed....but looking back, what a POS

flylo
02-04-2016, 05:28 PM
My fav was a black RS/SS hardtop with a 302. Very fast My pace car was a 350 convert with a factory Hurst 4 speed. I almost traded for the RS/SS.

Guido
02-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Ford's HiPo 289 became the Boss 302 engine and often referred to as five litre. (Factory Five Racing). Chevy made the 305 ci.

Mid to late 60's was when small Chevy station wagons were waxing everyone at the strip, something called 'weight transfer', ie. Brians' story regards the long, overhanging weight behind the rear axle. Was first played with in the UK, then Jim Hall of Midland, Tx took it two notches higher with his Cheevy powered Chaparral road racers and their high mounted, articulated rear wings, mid 1965. He was laughed at, but has had the last laugh ever since. Hall also responsible for smooth bottomed, inverted wing tunnels under Indy cars. Was playing with a 'sucker car' which was quickly squelched by all racing sanctions.

daveo
02-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Recording! Thanks op... I have a 69 im restoring...

brian Rupnow
02-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Weight transfer theory---Remember when pre 1965, every drag car out there had its nose jacked up high in the air, for supposed "weight transfer" to the rear wheels. Then after 1965 or thereabouts, everybody started running massive width rear tires, shortened axles and arse high nose low configuration. Everybody was after the "trick" that could make their car "hook up" coming off the line. I used to race at the old Desoronto dragway just east of Belleville Ontario. One summer a couple of french guys from Quebec came up with a big old station wagon with the side windows blacked out, and an absolute monster engine in it. I can't remember the make nor the cubic inches of the engine now, but they were kicking everybody's butt with it. It would come off the line like crazy, and then about 60 feet out when you would expect it to start getting really squirrely and breaking lose, it would actually "squat", hook up even tighter and just go like stink!! They got pulled over for inspection (which generally wasn't that usual at the time). They had a 45 gallon drum of water mounted crossways on a pair of rails in the back of the wagon, a driver initiated trip release, and a big pair of stops at the rear of the rails. About 60 feet of the line, when the driver felt the back wheels start to break lose, he would pull a lever, releasing the drum of water, and it would fly back against the stops and all of the force from the moving drum would be transfered down to the rear tires.Of course they were banned from the track and as far as I know they never came back again, but they certainly got an A+ for ingenuity!!!.

kitno455
02-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Ford's HiPo 289 became the Boss 302 engine and often referred to as five litre. (Factory Five Racing). Chevy made the 305 ci.

Chevy also made a 302- that's what was in the original Z-28, to make it legal for the SCCA Trans-Am series.

allan

sasquatch
02-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Yup, a 327 with a 283 crankshaft in it =302 cubes.