PDA

View Full Version : OT, Anyone familar with Dell laptop chargers?

oxford
03-04-2016, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know what a factory Dell car/airplane laptop charger can tolerate for input voltage? This is a charger that has the third pin in the center of the plug. I am trying to feed it 19v DC and it won't get a signal to the center pin to allow the laptop to charge. I see a least one aftermarket charger that will tolerate the 19v but can't find a spec on a factory Dell.

J Tiers
03-04-2016, 10:26 PM
Not quite sure what you are asking. The unit should have everything you need marked right on it.

oxford
03-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Not quite sure what you are asking. The unit should have everything you need marked right on it.

I plug the male end of the car charger into the socket in my pickup which should be around 12-14 volts and the laptop says it is charging, I plug it into a socket that is fed with 19 volts and the laptop does not charge. It measures 19 volts output from either one. I do not think I have the polarity reversed on the 19v fed circuit but can't check until Monday. I am wondering if a Factory Dell charger can handle the 19v input as there are aftermarket chargers that can.

I don't believe there is any markings on the unit. It is meant for a car/airplane. For a car it should handle at least 14+ volts, I don't know what you get out of an airplane.

J Tiers
03-04-2016, 11:51 PM
generally a car or pickup should NOT have 19V. Between 14 and 15 volts when charging is normal.

It's possible that the charger is set up to shut off for overvoltage, and 19V may be an overvoltage to it. You'd have to refer to the manual, a label, etc to be sure.

As for an airplane, that depends on what airplane. Commercial ones may supply 120V. For light aircraft, ask Seastar or other pilots, who would obviously know.

Black_Moons
03-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Might I recommend that ebay/etc is full of SMPS psus for cheap, im sure you can find a 15~30v (designed for 24v batteries pretty much) to 12v psu.

Ohio Mike
03-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Still not following you, 3rd pin? The dell power bricks are 100-240v amp AC input. They output 19.5v DC with positive (+) center pin. If your charger is dead just buy another Dell there are tons of them floating around I wouldn't mess with some aftermarket junk.

Edit. After reading the OP I see he's talking about the car charger version.