PDA

View Full Version : Just for comparison

Kiwi
03-06-2016, 08:29 PM
The other day I purchased a block of ally for a job And nearly had heart failure at the bill as we have one of the biggest smelters Tiwi point in Bluff and even built a power station to feed it http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r457/Thorcalmac/IMG_2001.jpg
You might not make it out $46.51 NZ 21/2" X 3" X 6" T6 how does it compare around the globe

Rosco-P
03-06-2016, 08:38 PM
McMasterCarr didn't have 2055, but did have 2024: http://www.mcmaster.com/#89215K234 180.19NZD

martik
03-06-2016, 08:55 PM
$36USD for 10-12" at: https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=12769&step=4&showunits=inches&id=997&top_cat=60

Rich Carlstedt
03-06-2016, 09:00 PM
So you have about 45 cubic inches in your piece
I see 6061 go for 40 cents a cubic inch
and 2024 go for about a dollar a cubic inch in US currency

Rich

Kiwi
03-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Hey thanks guys for the replies so not to far from US prices I often see youtube demo's and most were turning ally as opposed to steel thinking it was cheaper and softer choice than steel

Yow Ling
03-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Who did you buy it from Kiwi?

DATo
03-08-2016, 07:20 AM
I know this might not be a viable solution to your current needs, but something you might consider is to visit local salvage yards which buy the scraps from manufacturers and purchase material from them. Beggars can't be choosers so you will have to take whatever they have available each time you go but if you systematically gather materials this way (provided you have room to store it) you will soon create a good stock bin and probably at a significant savings since they will, in all probability, be selling at lower than wholesale price.

Obviously raw materials at a scrapyard will not specify alloy composition, but if you took a few samples home and tried machining and welding them you could quickly determine a reasonable guess as to its alloy composition. 360 brass (beautiful stuff) will be "free machining" and produce granular chips. Leaded brass chips will be stringy. You can usually tell bronze from brass by its color. 2000, 6000, and 7000 series aluminum will be harder to cut (6000- 7000 approaches mild steel in difficulty of machining) and are not weldable (weak weld which will break under load). Take a magnet with you and you can determine the stainless from the non-stainless which is magnetic. Though some stainless is magnetic its corrosion resistance is poor and is not weldable (cracks). Where sheet aluminum is concerned a sharp bend will tell you if it is H series which is bendable - non bendable will immediately show a crack on the outer surface of the radius of the bend line.

You might also visit some machine shops and ask if you can buy from their scrap bins. In this case they will probably be able to tell you the alloy you are getting. Just remember to declare yourself a poor, home shop hobbyist and not a business competitor *LOL*

Kiwi
03-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Hi Yow Ling R & B aluminum because it was handy (mistake) as I like to get things underway
Dato yes I do use the scrappy but like you say identification of the material is an issue I did want a free machining grade alloy I could have had but wait week or so multiply the price by three as it was it took them an age to give me a price as the material or the delivery docket was not entered or the bloke couldn't find the entry but what the hell you can only flog the dog you've got