PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a 3 Phase Motor

Gazz
03-07-2016, 10:18 AM
I have an old wet belt grinder that was made by Porter Cable which needs a new motor. I have a 2hp 3ph motor that I want to use (actually, I prefer at least 3hp but it is what I have) but it has no wiring diagram inside the junction box. Some of the wires are marked but not all and I will power it with a rotary 3ph generator that I made. I have no idea what wires get paired together but figure there is a way to wring them out but I am a bit electrically challenged. Can anybody help me with this?

GNM109
03-07-2016, 11:07 AM
I have an old wet belt grinder that was made by Porter Cable which needs a new motor. I have a 2hp 3ph motor that I want to use (actually, I prefer at least 3hp but it is what I have) but it has no wiring diagram inside the junction box. Some of the wires are marked but not all and I will power it with a rotary 3ph generator that I made. I have no idea what wires get paired together but figure there is a way to wring them out but I am a bit electrically challenged. Can anybody help me with this?

Here are two diagrams that I've used in the past. If some of the wires are marked these will get you part way. I've heard that there is a way to check resistance to determine the wiring when there are no markings, but that's above my pay grade. I've used these diagrams on two rotary phase converters and several other three phase motors but all of my wiring was marked. I hope this helps.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/gnm109/Machinery/fig21_zpsrn3h8cgi.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/gnm109/Machinery/Nine%20Wire%20Motor%20Hookup_zpsxl3ci4ft.gif

J Tiers
03-07-2016, 11:42 AM
need a pic of the dataplate, or the info off of it. Also look inside the wiring compartment for a diagram, possibly on he inside of the cover.

Gazz
03-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I am guessing that from the diagram, 1 and 4, 5 and 2 and 7, 8 and 9 etc. would show continuity for the wye configuration?
I will take a picture of the plate on the motor but as I mentioned in the first post, there is nothing inside the junction box or on the inside of the cover.

J Tiers
03-07-2016, 05:58 PM
but as I mentioned in the first post, there is nothing inside the junction box or on the inside of the cover.

Yes you did.... That was my stock response, forgetting you had indeed looked.

KEJR
03-07-2016, 09:55 PM
You could use an ohmeter to try and identify all the poles of the motor. How many wires are there and what are they labeled?

Sent from my SM-S766C using Tapatalk