PDA

View Full Version : Gold placer finding in deserts

SJorgensen
07-09-2004, 03:07 AM
I was watching a story tonight on PBS about the Egyption tombs and I wondered about the gold.

Does the wind that moves sand dunes back and forth over months years and eons, serve to separate the heavy gold particles? Did they know something about this that we don't?

Evan
07-09-2004, 03:27 AM
You are probably thinking that it may somehow concentrate the gold in places so that if you only knew the right spot to dig you could scoop up shovels full of gold dust. A lot of people thought the same thing in California. The gold may be there but it remains distributed throughout the sand fairly evenly.

http://www.rmpbs.org/byways/lca_gold.html

Ian B
07-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Spence,

Having spent many years working in the middle east (including Egypt), I certainly haven't found the crock of gold at the bottom of sand dune (I've found plenty of other crocks, but that's a different matter!).

When wind moves a sand dune, it blows sand from the entire upwind face. Any gold dust that had settled to the bottom of the dune would be mixed back in with the rest of the sand.

Nice theory though...

Ian

lotsa luck
07-09-2004, 11:34 AM
I've been mining gold in the desert for 20 years. Yes, wind can assist in gravity separation but unlikely to work in a sand dune very well. We do use air along with vibration when drywashing. The air helps to separate particles mostly by further drying the material being sorted. They got their gold somehow though, so I would assume it possible. Gold will actualy settle over time through most any non-solid substrate. Simply place a nugget onto sand or soft dirt and it will continue to sink with VERY little assistance. Just vibrations in the ground will settle it lower each year. Millions of years could place it onto bedrock.

wierdscience
07-09-2004, 11:22 PM
There were many things in ancient Egypt that never existed there naturally.Remember they were a warrior tribe that conquered other tribes and nations which paid both loot and tribute.The gold I believe came from central and southern Africa.I could be wrong as it has been years since I really studied the subject.Also many other nations in the region hualed in many prescious objects and commodities,the temple built by Solomon included items from all over the known world.Also it has been recently discovered that the ancient trade routes extended much further than previuosly thought.

It is an interesting idea though,I suppose since sand dunes eventually compress and compact into stone,it is possible that an amount of gold could be intrained in the mix.