PDA

View Full Version : tiny robots for rearranging your shop

aostling
03-14-2016, 12:06 PM
They have a ways to go -- currently they can tow a car, but only on a level floor: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/14/technology/modeled-after-ants-teams-of-tiny-robots-can-move-2-ton-car.html?_r=0.

Maybe someday they could be programmed to "rock" a Bridgeport out the door.

Richard P Wilson
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
I've got them already. Little invisible ones that rearrange my shop every time I go out of the door, and sometimes while I'm in there.

ncjeeper
03-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Mine just make a mess. I swear I leave the shop cleaner.

dave_r
03-14-2016, 03:15 PM
The ones in my shop take pleasure in relocating pretty much anything that I was just using the moment I lose sight of it.

boslab
03-14-2016, 03:22 PM
I think on a smooth surface what appears to be gecko tape type belly arrangement can grip, quite an achievement.
Soon they will be dragging us out of bed
Mark

Paul Alciatore
03-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Dead flat floor and I bet those tires were at 100 PSI or better.

Simple mechanics.

Black_Moons
03-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Dead flat floor and I bet those tires were at 100 PSI or better.

Simple mechanics.

Sure. But still, the other demos of the robots towing 100 times there weight on a flat surface with no wheels at all on the load, Those are impressive IMO just because it means the robot has achieved 100+ times as much friction as a regular object, yet can still use micro power motors to 'detach' the adhesive by applying force in a different direction. that is what they mean by 'directional' adhesive.

Its one thing to superglue your feet to the wall and stick to the wall, its another entirely to be able to remove your foot and be able to replant it with ease.

Now they just need to make one that can work on a dirty surface like you would find in the real world, and they will really have something :)